Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 08:36 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noccidoggo View Post
Holy #$@& just took a look and those mobile homes are going for around 300 thousand bucks!
VILLAGE HOMES FOR SALE

My sister-in-law and her husband manage a mobile home park in Newbury Park and trailers there are going for almost $300,000. But the traffic is horrific. The 101 is a parking lot every single day. I have a daughter who lives in southern CA but there is no way I would ever live there. The dysfunctional government, horrible traffic, anti Second Amendment mentality, high taxes and high crime ensure I will never live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 09:03 AM

2,020 posts, read 3,195,799 times
Quote:
Holy #$@& just took a look and those mobile homes are going for around 300 thousand bucks!
VILLAGE HOMES FOR SALE

Sorry about that ... didn't realize how expensive they've gotten .

My only other suggestion would be Simi Valley or Moorpark, but I assume they've gone up in price too and that puts you into boring suburbia.

Also, not in Ventura County, but I know some couples who retired from VC to Sun City in LA (I believe it's around San Bernardino- Menifee?). They seem to be happy there but I don't know anything else about it.

Last edited by smpliving; 02-03-2016 at 09:12 AM..

Old 02-03-2016, 12:29 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
My sister-in-law and her husband manage a mobile home park in Newbury Park and trailers there are going for almost $300,000. But the traffic is horrific. The 101 is a parking lot every single day. I have a daughter who lives in southern CA but there is no way I would ever live there. The dysfunctional government, horrible traffic, anti Second Amendment mentality, high taxes and high crime ensure I will never live there.
Beat me to it. I can add having to deal with CARB if you have a car, and incredible high property values, and high taxes. There are people who make Cali work as retirees, but there are simply easier options out there.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:33 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
I grew up in Ventura County and some of my family still lives in the area. A nice mobile home park for 55+ is Camarillo Springs Country Club. I'm not sure how expensive it is now but several years ago it was very nice and affordable. I believe they've built condos and made it more of a community now with shopping. It's at the bottom of the Conejo grade. You might want to check it out. It's not too far from the ocean. I agree with the others ... traffic is horrendous now.
I worry about that development in terms of flooding and geological hazards.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:42 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Beat me to it. I can add having to deal with CARB if you have a car, and incredible high property values, and high taxes. There are people who make Cali work as retirees, but there are simply easier options out there.

I know little about CARB but have heard about its onerous burden. No worries about emissions testing in Alaska.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:40 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
Have you considered Leisure World in Seal Beach Ca.? They have all the things you mentioned. You have to buy your place, and there is adequate parking. There are free vans that take you to shopping every hour or so as well as to medical facilities, which is great when you get older can't drive. My father retired there and loved it! It would be closer to your kids than Ventura probably.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:13 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
VILLAGE HOMES FOR SALE
And if you follow a link from that page, you'll see residents there have to worry about this:
Mudslide Photos

Old 02-04-2016, 01:38 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
OP, have you considered going the other way from Santa Barbara? Say, Arroyo Grande/Pismo Beach or San Luis Obispo/Morro Bay?

SLO is a college town so will probably have the cultural activities you seek. I like Morro Bay, wouldn't mind living there if I had to be in California.

All this is further from LA, of course, but given the horrendous traffic in and about Los Angeles, I think your son should come visit you rather than the other way around.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:42 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
And if you follow a link from that page, you'll see residents there have to worry about this:
Mudslide Photos
Wow, for a moment there I thought you were talking about La Conchita.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:03 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,879 times
Yes, Ventura is a wonderful place to retire. Slow growth, excellent medical facilities, the best year round weather, and all the outdoor activities you can imagine.

You can take a commuter train or Amtrak into Los Angeles. A boat from the harbor to the channel islands. Or just bicycle up the coast or to Ojai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement