Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 08:57 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,767,295 times

Advertisements

I have been living in Denmark for over 20 years as a permanent resident. Health care is free. I enrolled in US Medicare when i was 65. I am now 72. I did not enroll in the full plan, and have no private health insurance in the US, so I pay nothing in/to the US. If I move back to the US at some point will I be stuck with paying the much higher cost of health insurance due to the many years of non-payment? I guess so, but I am not 100% sure. What is the annual penalty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 11:02 AM

462 posts, read 553,263 times
Thats a good question. I plan on moving overseas myself in the not too distant future so I will need to ponder this question as well. I believe that if you are enrolled in Medicare and are currently paying premiums you are covered, but you had better check with them to be sure.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:06 PM

7,539 posts, read 13,717,015 times
Some reading here may help you understand the possible issues, and what to discuss with Medicare if you contact them. There are a few exceptions to the Part B & D penalties. Being covered by a National Health Service is one. The Part B penalty for late enrollment is 10% for each 12 month period you missed.

Dealing with Medicare as an expat: When and how to enroll | GOODCARE.COM
Also
https://www.americansabroad.org/basic-medicare/ where it says:
"If you already live abroad, you should consult with the Federal Benefits Unit of the American embassy serving the country where you reside for personalized advice. They have direct access to the Social Security files, and have experience with problems specific to people residing outside the US."

More at Medicare and The American Expat : Blog : Expat Info Desk

Old 02-22-2016, 04:07 PM

260 posts, read 235,793 times
I have no expert advice to this specific question.

My related question would be: can a US citizen who has been domiciled overseas and not paid US taxes receive Medicare benefits?

In my case, I am a UK citizen but haven't paid UK taxes for decades.When I go there...sometimes for extended periods....I do not claim free care through the National Health Service. I am not entitled to as a non UK taxpayer.

I'm not making an entitlement point , I am merely seeking information.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:38 PM

7,539 posts, read 13,717,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukgirl49 View Post

My related question would be: can a US citizen who has been domiciled overseas and not paid US taxes receive Medicare benefits?

In my case, I am a UK citizen but haven't paid UK taxes for decades.When I go there...sometimes for extended periods....I do not claim free care through the National Health Service. I am not entitled to as a non UK taxpayer.

I'm not making an entitlement point , I am merely seeking information.
In general, a US Citizen needs to have worked and paid payroll taxes for at least 10 years to be eligible for Medicare. It does not need to be the last 10 years. If not, they can "buy into" Part A Hospital coverage, which is normally no cost, but the premium is about $400/month, plus the $105/month for Part B Medical coverage. There is also a way to just buy Part B.

There are possible penalties if enrollment is later than age 65.

See https://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/EN-05-10043.pdf for more detail.

Simple, no ?.............

Old 02-23-2016, 05:21 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,256,734 times
Quote:

My related question would be: can a US citizen who has been domiciled overseas and not paid US taxes receive Medicare benefits?....
Not an answer, but just a point.

If you are a U.S. citizen you cannot walk away from paying U.S. taxes simply because you are domiciled abroad. Your worldwide income is taxable by the U.S. IRS.

If you are earning income overseas from a foreign company, then there will be no payment into the U.S. Social Security scheme but that does not mean that you necessarily do not pay taxes to the U.S. on the income you earned.

So, there are two different points here.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:00 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,053,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I have been living in Denmark for over 20 years as a permanent resident. Health care is free. I enrolled in US Medicare when i was 65. I am now 72. I did not enroll in the full plan, and have no private health insurance in the US, so I pay nothing in/to the US. If I move back to the US at some point will I be stuck with paying the much higher cost of health insurance due to the many years of non-payment? I guess so, but I am not 100% sure. What is the annual penalty?

Part B isn't it. The medical coverage.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:05 PM

260 posts, read 235,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Not an answer, but just a point.

If you are a U.S. citizen you cannot walk away from paying U.S. taxes simply because you are domiciled abroad. Your worldwide income is taxable by the U.S. IRS.

If you are earning income overseas from a foreign company, then there will be no payment into the U.S. Social Security scheme but that does not mean that you necessarily do not pay taxes to the U.S. on the income you earned.

So, there are two different points here.
Thank you.

I know that to be true as I lived in Europe for a decade but continued to pay US tax.

Possibly I misread the OP. I understood him to say he had paid nothing in and I took that to mean paid no US tax.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:29 PM

5,268 posts, read 3,641,252 times
Quote:
Thank you.

I know that to be true as I lived in Europe for a decade but continued to pay US tax.

Possibly I misread the OP. I understood him to say he had paid nothing in and I took that to mean paid no US tax.
I assume he is referring to Medicare health insurance which costs us about $105/mo.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:38 PM

10,640 posts, read 12,210,544 times
Technically the OP never said he didn't pay U.S. taxes.
You'd think he would have said so if he did…but he didn't say either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement