Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 12:08 PM

16,331 posts, read 10,458,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
In answer to your question and I had to look back to see where it originated Dave, no that income is not counted. This hall tax is only on more or less inherited estates of about $1 million that generate a taxable income through dividends.
That's what I was hoping for, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 12:55 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,616,563 times
Boy howdy,

Never have I seen such misinformation. Take a deep breath and read the link again. It is funny how out of staters are such experts.

Quote:
You will pay taxes rental property.
As an individual owner, I have never paid TN taxes on rental income. I understand taxes are required on income from LLCs.

golfing duo, I am impressed that you are both still able to golf if one of you is legally blind or a quadriplegic. That doesn't apply to the vast majority of retirees and you know that. It feels like you are mansplaining about something that is irrelevant to most of us. Please stop.

Quote:
The quote highlights that Tennessee collected a grand total of $28 per person in 2012. If they taxed SS do you not think that they would be getting a bit more per person?
Do I have to spell it out for you? $50K SS - no TN tax. $25K SS & $25K dividends, the tax is $1425 (6%of $23750). $10K SS and $25K dividends, no TN tax . This is for single filers.

The total PP is $28 because we are a poor state and very few have $40-100K in the stock market (outside retirement accounts).

Old 03-22-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
That's what I was hoping for, thanks!
Dave, do you receive more than $1250 in dividends?

Is your expected retirement income more than $37K from all sources?

If the answer to both is yes, my advice is to quit hoping and look at reality.
Call a TN accountant if need be, preferrably after April 15th. We do have to file federal taxes :-).

Old 03-22-2016, 02:33 PM

6,589 posts, read 7,104,666 times
I am going to go at this again. That tax the Hall tax is only and I repeat only on dividend income and other sources not to include all the earned income. Maybe I should have used this line but I wanted to point out something that you seem to want to ignore.

Quote:
This tax does not apply to the first $1,250 of income reported on each individual return or the first $2,500 of joint income reported on a jointly filed return. - See more at: https://www.tn.gov/revenue/article/h....tQ6N3CSr.dpuf
The line that is missing from there is the line you choose to ignore. "When taxable interest and dividend income". That line is what the Hall tax is. You are right I am an out of state person. I can tell you though you are the one that added in rental income and because you mentioned it there is an explanation for that. Rental income is not earned income. Does that makes sense? You do not get taxed on "EARNED INCOME". Retirement income is EARNED INCOME. SS is EARNED INCOME. TN residents pay federal taxes on all of that EARNED INCOME. They do not pay taxes on that. Only on "UNEARNED INCOME" such as dividends from investments.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:13 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,524,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
...There are plenty of exemptions, such as interest from national or state chartered banks, US bonds, and most importantly TN municipal bonds.

I think the tax should remain. My guess is some 1%ers heard Nashville is a fun town and are whining because they can't live here tax free.
As someone who owns a lot of municipal bonds - I think diversification is important. Although I own some Tennessee GOs - no way I would want to invest 100% of my portfolio there (or any other state for that matter).

I don't think anyone in the 1% - or even in the 5% - is interested in retiring in Tennessee (or establishing a tax residence there). Only reason people who are retiring look at it is because of the low COL. Robyn

P.S. Like I said - ain't got no dog in this fight.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:29 PM

Golfing Duo,

I was speaking of the senior exemption. Prior to age 65 its pretty simple, you get a $1250 exemption per person.

It's the exemptions for over 65 that don't follow the usual rules. As for rental income classification, you are referring to federal taxes, not TN taxes.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:55 PM

6,589 posts, read 7,104,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Golfing Duo,

I was speaking of the senior exemption. Prior to age 65 its pretty simple, you get a $1250 exemption per person.

It's the exemptions for over 65 that don't follow the usual rules. As for rental income classification, you are referring to federal taxes, not TN taxes.
I don't want to argue anymore. You win. No Mas. I cannot convince a TN resident that he doesn't pay TN income tax. Continue to pay your Hall Tax.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:10 PM
JRR

8,181 posts, read 5,689,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

I don't think anyone in the 1% - or even in the 5% - is interested in retiring in Tennessee (or establishing a tax residence there). Only reason people who are retiring look at it is because of the low COL. Robyn

We are planning on moving to Tennessee for retirement for the weather, the people and the terrain (as well as the lower cost of living). I will gladly cede Florida to the wealthy 5% retirees and be very happy if they don't show up in Tennessee along with me.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:36 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,524,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
We are planning on moving to Tennessee for retirement for the weather, the people and the terrain (as well as the lower cost of living). I will gladly cede Florida to the wealthy 5% retirees and be very happy if they don't show up in Tennessee along with me.
Do you think Orlando (where you seem to live) has a lower COL than all of Tennessee? Doesn't seem that way to me:

Worst cities for first-time homebuyers - Business Insider

I think it's pretty hard to generalize about states as a whole when it comes to the COL. Robyn

Old 03-23-2016, 07:29 AM

35,131 posts, read 31,412,038 times
Quote:
As someone who owns a lot of municipal bonds - I think diversification is important. Although I own some Tennessee GOs - no way I would want to invest 100% of my portfolio there (or any other state for that matter).

Not everyone retiring to TN is doing so just because of the cost of living. If that was the case, there are areas of the Midwest quite a bit cheaper than most of Tennessee, but those places aren't attracting retirees to the same extent because they aren't as mild, and don't have the natural beauty that TN does. Eastern TN has excellent lakes and rivers for hiking/boating/fishing/hunting, and excellent outdoor activities for most of the year. There are frequently posts on the TN forum from retirees looking for mountain/river views, a lake house, etc. A lot of folks from up north think TN is all like Gatlinburg, which is far from the truth, and want a piece of some of "pioneer lifestyle," for lack of a better term. Taxes usually aren't at the top of the list.

It's a tough place to make a living, but if you're bringing in money from some rich and prestigious area, your quality of life in TN can be high.

Quote:
Do you think Orlando (where you seem to live) has a lower COL than all of Tennessee? Doesn't seem that way to me:

Worst cities for first-time homebuyers - Business Insider

I think it's pretty hard to generalize about states as a whole when it comes to the COL. Robyn
I would say that Orlando is going to be considerably more expensive overall than most anywhere in TN, aside from the Nashville city limits and Williamson County. Orlando is going to have much, much more expensive insurance costs than anywhere in TN, property prices are generally higher and rising faster, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement