Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 04:50 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,279,532 times

Advertisements

We now own the best car we've ever had. It is a 2009 Lexus RX 350. I like that it sits high, and is comfortable on car trips. We can individually control the heat in the front seats. We can warm our seats in cold weather. Our air conditioning works well in heat. It rides like a dream. It never breaks down.

We waited a looong time to own a good car. We really enjoy it.

Down side is that it takes premium gas and doesn't get super good mileage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 04:57 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,809,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Try a Kia Soul. It is a smaller car but is easy to get into and out of.
I thought about suggesting that with the Scion and Honda I mentioned. I am actually starting to look at Souls as a possible choice for my youngest; they are very highly rated as late model used car deals. The only reason I didn't mention them is I haven't actually looked close at one yet. My oldest has a Cube, which I have driven and like plus it has had about 75k trouble free miles. But I think they are no longer being made (though I think the Juke is the same thing with a less cartoony looking body). Anyway, in the $12k range a used Soul is recommended as one of the best choices by CR (backed with data; not just an opinion).

Old 03-27-2016, 05:05 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,624,895 times
I see a lot of recommendations for the Kia Soul, which is a great vehicle for urban driving. But one of the things the OP mentioned is the car is for long trips. The Kia Soul would not be a good choice if you're driving long distances as it has a very short wheelbase. Of the vehicles mentioned, the Camry is the best bet, followed by the Accord. One thing I don't like about the Honda is the CVT. I've driven a few vehicles with them and I don't like how they high wind the engine. One car I didn't see on the list was the Buick Regal, the corporate cousin to the Malibu. Buicks are known for their ride quality and the Regal would be a good choice for a road car.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:25 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,401,063 times
I am on my second Chevy Equinox and love it. My friend is on his second Chevy Cruz and he loves that. It is all about your comfort level. I jokingly say that I only buy cars that I could live in if I became homeless. The Equinox has everything that I could want in a car, is the perfect size for me, and gets decent gas mileage.

While I have never used one, the Handybar Car Support advertises that it safely helps you get in and out of your car or SUV. Our YMCA was supposed to have a demo on it but the vendor did not show. Anyway, it is also in the Gold Violin catalog, along with other safety ideas.

Good luck on finding just what you want/need. I have an excellent relationship with my local car dealership and sales person, so when I was considering a new car, we discussed my needs and what would work well for me.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:28 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,996,687 times
What about one of the smaller SUVs/CUVs? The seating is generally higher than a sedan which I find makes it easier to get in and out. Also, look for a car with seats that adjust up and down.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:38 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,922,833 times
I have a Jeep Wrangler. For me, for here, it is perfect. Snow, mud, mountain roads with a 90 degree incline, no problem. It goes anywhere.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I see a lot of recommendations for the Kia Soul, which is a great vehicle for urban driving. But one of the things the OP mentioned is the car is for long trips. The Kia Soul would not be a good choice if you're driving long distances as it has a very short wheelbase.
A longer wheelbase matters to me if I am towing a trailer, but if I have good suspension, tires and alignment then I don't have a problem with the wheelbase of small 4 doors. I drove my oldest's Cube on a long multi state family visit and it wasn't an issue for me. OTOH, my Quad Cab Dakota, which has a very long wheelbase, wore me out when it had some front end suspension issues.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:20 PM

16,410 posts, read 30,377,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I thought about suggesting that with the Scion and Honda I mentioned. I am actually starting to look at Souls as a possible choice for my youngest; they are very highly rated as late model used car deals. The only reason I didn't mention them is I haven't actually looked close at one yet. My oldest has a Cube, which I have driven and like plus it has had about 75k trouble free miles. But I think they are no longer being made (though I think the Juke is the same thing with a less cartoony looking body). Anyway, in the $12k range a used Soul is recommended as one of the best choices by CR (backed with data; not just an opinion).

Earlier this month, I rented a 206 Kia Soul in Tucson and drove it to Las Vegas and back with stops in Laughlin and Phoenix. That is about 1400 miles that included mountain driving, desert driving and far too much innercity driving within Las Vegas.

I had no problem getting up the mountains and it was a lot easier to do so than in my Toyota Corolla. I had no problems with the handling of the vehicle or in getting it up to 80 mph.

My only two complains was that the vehicle does not have a trunk which is strictly my preference nor does it have a CD player.

On the trip, we achieved about a 34 mpg overall which is not really spectacular but that is expected due to the high speeds and the traffic jams around Las Vegas.

Personally, I liked the Nissan Cube, a model that was generally disliked and had a sales volume of under 1000 for its last two model years.

=======================

Someone recommended a Smart Car which is a bad choice for two reasons. First, the lack of storage space makes it difficult to carry anything like groceries and the like or a wheelchair or walker. Second, that vehicle is consistently one of the WORST vehicles sold in the US in terms of reliability and that is a problem as they have a very sketchy dealer network in the US.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:32 PM

16,410 posts, read 30,377,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Got it through Hertz. I know you're thinking that people trash rental cars...but they actually don't. My thought was that they have to be maintenanced very well with great records or they could easily get sued out the wazoo for any mishap. Anyway, the mechanic checked it out and I got to drive it the entire weekend for like $50 to make up my mind. Had it for 2 years and not a bit of trouble. It all depends on just how strapped you are for cash and how badly you need a specific car and/or options. I would not be retired and buying a new car car, especially if I already had another one.
I am not going to debate you on whether buying rental cars is a good thing. I will say that I have rented Hertz vehicle 15 times a year for the last two years and six times this year. The quality of the maintenance and condition of the vehicles has very much declined in the past five years. When I was buying rental cars from Hertz and Avis a decade ago, they were pretty much owned by Ford and GM and they kept there cars for 18 months and/or 36k miles. Often, the manufacturers would give them a deal to turn them in at 12 months so that the manufacturers had a good supply of certain models of used cars.

That changed in 2008. Most of the car rental agencies are keeping the cars for up to three years and 60k miles. In the past year, I have been given vehicles that are two model years old with up to 70k miles all over the country. The special deals are a thing of the past and each agency can buy from any vehicle that is out there.

There are three things to remember if you buy a used car from ANY rental agency. First, understand what warranty exists, if any, on the vehicle. Second, make sure that the "deal" you are getting is really a deal. The price that Hertz quoted me on a used 2006 Toyota Corolla LE with 25k miles in 2007 was actually $1,300 MORE than the dealership that sold me a new one. Third, no matter how much they resist, arrange to take the car to a trusted mechanic of your choosing to get a full inspection to identify any issues with the vehicle. Just because a large company is selling you a car does not mean that it is not a money pit.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:36 PM

jlawrence,

The CD is on its last legs already...

Start saying your goodbyes to your car's CD player

When you can put your whole music collection on a chip smaller than a postage stamp with no moving parts, it does make some sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement