Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 06:43 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,328,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
jlawrence,

The CD is on its last legs already...

Start saying your goodbyes to your car's CD player

When you can put your whole music collection on a chip smaller than a postage stamp with no moving parts, it does make some sense.

I know ... but us dinosaurs don't like to invest in flash drives.
====================================

From 2002 - 2007, I was the ONLY person in my family to own a car with only a driver's side airbag. All the young nephews and nieces LOVED to rode with me as my car was the ONLY car that they could ride in the front seat. Then it died.

Last edited by jlawrence01; 03-27-2016 at 08:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 06:55 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,905,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If I had $20k and didn't want to bend down to get in or out of a car, I wouldn't buy a sedan.
Exactly - I was confused about that. I would look at a base Hyundai Tucson or something similar. We have not had a reliability issue with our Hyundai at all.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:20 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,913,995 times
I think I will stick with my 1975 AMC Gremlin.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:30 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,294,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Hubby and I are retired and we need to buy a car. As many of you, we have arthritis and a hip replacement, so cannot be twisting ourselves into pretzels getting in and out. This car will be for trips, so needs to be comfortable, with plenty of legroom. We are keeping an SUV, so this car will be a regular 4door.
We are on a very tight budget, so would like under $20k, if possible.
What car do you have like this that you are happy with?

As you can imagine, we are looking at cars like, Camry, Jetta, Accord, Malibu, Fusion. We're trading an Altima, which has been less than stellar.
My car is a Toyota Matrix, and it's very comfortable. I have knee issues and hubby has back issues. The hatch back is PERFECT, and it's small and easy to park. I also bought it new for 17 some thousand bucks.

However -- they don't make them anymore. But it is built on a Corolla body. Might look at Corollas.

My sister loves her Subaru -- It's also a hatchback (I sense a theme here) and it's tall, but small enough it's easy to park.

When I say park I mean parallel park.

I can remember when we were looking years ago -- we looked at a Rav4, which was supposed to be bigger than a Matrix, and we were crammed into it like sardines. The smaller Matrix was actually roomier inside.

And we looked at the CRV from Honda -- that was too roomy, too open -- felt like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride inside. I like a more cockpitty feel. We tried a few sedans but we use my car all the time and when we need supplies for work, it's way harder to deal with a sedan, no matter if you can pull the seats down to expand the trunk area, there's still a lot of maneuvering to deal with -- so sedans are out.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:33 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,318,275 times
Quote:
Hubby and I are retired and we need to buy a car. As many of you, we have arthritis and a hip replacement, so cannot be twisting ourselves into pretzels getting in and out. This car will be for trips, so needs to be comfortable, with plenty of legroom. We are keeping an SUV, so this car will be a regular 4door.

As you can imagine, we are looking at cars like, Camry, Jetta, Accord, Malibu, Fusion. We're trading an Altima, which has been less than stellar.
I had a stroke in August, 2015 and I find it much easier to get into and out of our vehicles which are
2 suburbans and 1 pick up truck. My left side was affected and it is very difficult for me to get into and out of a car.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:47 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,641,330 times
Go to Car Max and try a bunch of cars. This way you won't need to go to the dealers looking for a car.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:32 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,605,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Exactly - I was confused about that. I would look at a base Hyundai Tucson or something similar. We have not had a reliability issue with our Hyundai at all.

The OP already has an SUV. But a 2016 entry level Hyundai Sonata can be had for around $20k on sale. And that gets you a 5/60 bumper to bumper warranty and a 10/100 drivetrain warranty. And entry level Hyundais tend to have more amenities than other cars. And the Sonata is actually larger inside than most cars in the class.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:27 PM

21,574 posts, read 8,749,478 times
The Subaru Forester is often mentioned as the best car for older drivers. It is easy to get in and out of, it has great visibility and is one of the safest cars on the road. You could almost certainly find a late model used Forester for $20,000 or less. We don't have one yet, but it's my #1 pick to replace our '93 Geo Prizm as my husband is 75 and very tall, and he can't do compact cars any more.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:28 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,043,586 times
Quote:

Versa is higher than most and you can increase the seat height as well, but not sure about comfort..

Or if you need plenty of room, try the Taurus'es.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:34 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,926,200 times
Quote:
The thing is, it is a 15 year old Highlander. It still looks like new, but we don't want to tax it by taking it on long trips. We had a hard time deciding which car to trade, but I can't get rid of the Highlander, because it's still too nice, even though no longer worth much. We aren't ready to go down to one car, since we each have pt or volunteer jobs.

Well since you love your Highlander-like someone else mentioned I'd go with a Lexus rx-350-which is an upgraded Highlander. I think the rx-350 model started in 2007 so you should be able to trade up to around a 2009 for 20,000. I have the RX-300-(15 years old as well!) and want to trade to a newer one however the newer ones we are looking at usually have more miles than the one we want to trade. My husband does all the mechanical work on our cars and many parts from the Highlander are the very same as the Lexus RX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement