Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 05:37 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times

Advertisements

I have been seeing a change in myself. As I get older, I seem to actually become more social. I have been joining more groups and doing activities with others. That still has not changed my aversion to crowds. Nor do I like waiting in lines.

I think partly I just have more opportunities than when I worked. I could not socialize in the workplace and had little time left over after working and commuting long hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 05:59 AM

7,189 posts, read 9,325,371 times
Although I wouldn't call myself a hermit, I do make efforts to always avoid crowds.

I do all my shopping at early hours during the week. If I'm forced to go to Wal-Mart I wear ear plugs to attenuate the incredible noise. That makes it easier for me to think.

I dress in comfortable clothes and shoes or sandals. I don't care about style. One advantage to getting to old age is that people usually ignore you. That's fine with me.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:15 AM

16,280 posts, read 10,421,470 times
Not liking crowds and not liking people are 2 different thing.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:59 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,800,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I don't use self service checkout as a protest. They take jobs.
We need to have a radical shift in society and our economic model before we can go too far with automating everything. I don't like the idea of doing things inefficiently just so people have something to do. Until we come to grips with providing for those who don't work when there aren't enough jobs to go around, we pretty much have to keep doing that though.

I know a few people who function better alone or in a tight-knit small groups. Some of them get diagnosed with anxiety disorders and are medicated so they can function in a workplace. Spending on medicine went up over 8% last year and it wasn't just rising costs of the medications.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:04 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
Through no fault of my own (I like to think), I'm basically living the life of a hermit at the moment... Honestly, I think some university should be studying me, since they don't allow solitary confinement studies due to their "cruelty"... Maybe they'd even pay me for it???

But, barring that, feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:22 AM

215 posts, read 283,533 times
Nearing retirement I'm hoping to move deep into the woods, hopefully by a lake or river, and forget this madness that's taking over the country. I don't mind exchanging pleasantries with folks but I'm not seeking them out and I really don't want to hear another political 'opinion'; probably the result of too many Iowa caucuses. My wife plans to volunteer at local organizations. I'm tired and want to be retired.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:21 AM

16,280 posts, read 10,421,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
We need to have a radical shift in society and our economic model before we can go too far with automating everything. I don't like the idea of doing things inefficiently just so people have something to do. Until we come to grips with providing for those who don't work when there aren't enough jobs to go around, we pretty much have to keep doing that though.

I know a few people who function better alone or in a tight-knit small groups. Some of them get diagnosed with anxiety disorders and are medicated so they can function in a workplace. Spending on medicine went up over 8% last year and it wasn't just rising costs of the medications.
I have used the self serve checkout at the grocery store and there isn't any chance that is more efficient than a checker. Now if it's canned goods, or a hammer at Home Depot, the experience is fine. The problem with grocery checkout is the produce is a pain in the neck to check. I have to remember to note the code on the item, which is often hard to locate if it's even threre, or more often I am forced to look up each item at checkout. The literally punish you for eating healthy, the hot dogs scan right through. And of course once every three trips I need help as the item won't scan or whatever.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:40 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times
Quote:
I don't use self service checkout as a protest. They take jobs.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 04-15-2016 at 08:49 AM..

Old 04-15-2016, 08:42 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,912,457 times
Quote:
Not liking crowds and not liking people are 2 different things.
Quite so, and this truth is important to the present discussion. Who really likes crowds per se? Mobs of people we don't know streaming out of a stadium after a well attended sports event? Mobs of people we don't know rushing in to get bargains at a Black Friday sales event (or whatever it's called)? I am O.K. with the former (but can't say I "like" it), but choose to avoid the latter.

So if I had a magic wand and could avoid crowds I would do so, but I like people and I feel comfortable in most social gatherings - the exception being perhaps if I hardly know anybody.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:50 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,800,616 times
Quote:
I have used the self serve checkout at the grocery store and there isn't any chance that is more efficient than a checker. Now if it's canned goods, or a hammer at Home Depot, the experience is fine. The problem with grocery checkout is the produce is a pain in the neck to check. I have to remember to note the code on the item, which is often hard to locate if it's even threre, or more often I am forced to look up each item at checkout. The literally punish you for eating healthy, the hot dogs scan right through. And of course once every three trips I need help as the item won't scan or whatever.
Fixable problems. The 2 solutions I have heard/read the most about are smart carts that know what all your items are as you add them to your cart and AI scanners that look at a 3D picture of the item and figure out what it is if there isn't a bar code or it doesn't scan. The most common issue I have had with them is when you buy a really small package of something like parsley it doesn't detect that you bagged it. A camera with smarter software could fix that also. Anyway, I think within 5 years we will see some stores with systems that are nearly perfect; it will take much longer to be widespread though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement