Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 08:04 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,806,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I had a great uncle who would dive under a table when he heard a car backfiring in the street or similar loud noise; he had been in combat in WW2 and had what today we'd call PTSD. If you're in combat, reacting to any loud noise without thinking about it actually has immediate survival benefit; not so much when you're eating Thanksgiving dinner with your family.
Several years ago, I was at the Indianapolis airport and they were having trouble with birds. They were shooting something like a string of firecrackers into trees where there were flocks of birds to get them to move on. As I was crossing a parking lot they fired one nearby and another guy crossing the lot dropped and army crawled to between a couple of cars and then realized what was going on. He was not happy; he ruined a really nice suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 10:46 PM

720 posts, read 767,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Hopefully, you learned a valuable lesson, which is not to put your business out to others. If you intend to continue bragging that your husband is on "hard core narcotics," then you should expect to be robbed.

It's probably best to move, better yet, move to a new town, so you aren't victims of future burglaries and robberies, since everyone knows you have your own private pharmacy, your home will be a constant target for anyone looking to "score."

Next time, you might not be so lucky.

When you move, you might want to keep your medical and healthcare issues private, you know, so you don't get robbed again.
Wow. Did you mean to be so hurtful?

Old 06-22-2016, 11:01 PM

Vicky, so sorry your world has been so cruelly shaken. I will send you a personal message very soon. Take care my sweet friend.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:45 PM

6,636 posts, read 7,374,175 times
Identify theft could be next. Freeze your credit with the 3 reporting agencies.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:48 PM

1,042 posts, read 877,776 times
We did that the first day.We did all sorts of things the first day. now, I feel almost frozen. I cannot even get the list made and sent to the insurance company. It's weird.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:13 PM

Not weird at all Vicky. You've been traumatized and violated. I dare say what you're feeling is normal and most likely to be expected. Do you have a close, trusted friend who might be able to assist you?

Old 06-23-2016, 09:30 PM

484 posts, read 630,040 times
Does your county offer any senior services? Help with legal matters, legal aid? I would try to get hooked up with someone to assist you.
Good luck!

Old 06-23-2016, 10:03 PM

7,062 posts, read 6,328,983 times
Darn, I wish this wouldn't have happened to you. My mother's home was vandalized; they broke into the front door, demolished it. But she had a lot of us kids there to help her with dealing with insurance issues.

I hate that you are going through this. Such a tough decision; flee or keep doing what you are doing. To be truthful, I don't know what I would choose.

Whatever you decide, know that you have done good and that karma will come around for those criminals.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:25 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,041,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
Thank you once again for the prayers and good thoughts. i wanted to add that I have read that criminals DO return to the scene of the crime. In instances like ours, it is ussually 3 weeks to 3 months later for the purpose of stealing all of the things that have been replaced.

SO, it was a lot of searching, but we finally found a few of those obsolete, small, fat televisions that no one sells anymore and an old BOOM BOX at various thrift shops. Our curtains are open, just a crack in certain rooms, so that anyone checking out our place will see that we have NOT replaced ANY "valuables," and will not as long as we feel any threat.

NYGAL, We are having friends over for a BBQ and need to get working on that. Later tonight or tommorrow I will explain what EMDR is.
A few years back I lived in a house that was regularly hit when we were not home--thankfully! They did come back every 3 months to get the new replacement stuff. So after 9 months we decided there was no reason to even buy a tv. They would just take it again so we got a 12 inch black and white tv to get the weather and news on. No stereo, nothing electronic. Computer laptop was kept in the trunk of the car. No printer, nothing they wanted. After a year of breaking in with nothing good they stopped for a while. They still checked up on us, but did not find anything worth taking of any value.

They did steal my kids id and mine too. They got credit cards in my name and used my daughter's name to cross back and forth into Mexico--using her birth certificate. BTW, they stole the ENTIRE safe with papers in it. NOPE they did not care that it was bolted to the floor they ripped it off the floor with a car and chain.

I actually got a discount for replacing the door soooo many times that they kept breaking in through, and did take out the French doors and made it a steel door. But alas they then switched to the largest double pane window the house had....

Then when I could transfer jobs and move they broke in one last time...thankfully we moved the last boxes out and left on a Wednesday. They came on Thursday, nothing left at all. SOOOO they cut all the cooper pipes out, left the water running in the kitchen when they cut the pipe to the frig. Cut the water hose pipes off at the ground level in the yard and flooded the yard too. Completely stole the drinking water pump (there were two water systems, drinking and non potable) and air conditioner condenser and smashed the other part of the air conditioner and the smashed the drinking water tank. THEY WERE MAD!!!! BUT I FINALLY felt like I go them, even though they destroyed my stuff.

They TRIED to take the washer/dryer and had them unplugged but something spooked them and they left--I think it was the Border Patrol, but never knew for sure. JUST SOOOO glad we moved out Wed instead of the weekend as they thought. I know they wanted to take the all packed up boxes and would have emptied the house of everything.

SO, be careful. They will be back. Not to be mean, but be careful, and plan on moving soon. PS they will just shoot a dog, but at least it will warn you. Get an alarm that will go off when the doors or windows are opened and that calls the police--not you. AND always keep it set. And get outside motion detector lights to light up when someone walks in your yard. But most importantly, move. And change pharmacies...or how your medication is delivered--use a PO Box.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:33 AM

6,620 posts, read 7,111,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
A few years back I lived in a house that was regularly hit when we were not home--thankfully! They did come back every 3 months to get the new replacement stuff. So after 9 months we decided there was no reason to even buy a tv. They would just take it again so we got a 12 inch black and white tv to get the weather and news on. No stereo, nothing electronic. Computer laptop was kept in the trunk of the car. No printer, nothing they wanted. After a year of breaking in with nothing good they stopped for a while. They still checked up on us, but did not find anything worth taking of any value.

They did steal my kids id and mine too. They got credit cards in my name and used my daughter's name to cross back and forth into Mexico--using her birth certificate. BTW, they stole the ENTIRE safe with papers in it. NOPE they did not care that it was bolted to the floor they ripped it off the floor with a car and chain.

I actually got a discount for replacing the door soooo many times that they kept breaking in through, and did take out the French doors and made it a steel door. But alas they then switched to the largest double pane window the house had....

Then when I could transfer jobs and move they broke in one last time...thankfully we moved the last boxes out and left on a Wednesday. They came on Thursday, nothing left at all. SOOOO they cut all the cooper pipes out, left the water running in the kitchen when they cut the pipe to the frig. Cut the water hose pipes off at the ground level in the yard and flooded the yard too. Completely stole the drinking water pump (there were two water systems, drinking and non potable) and air conditioner condenser and smashed the other part of the air conditioner and the smashed the drinking water tank. THEY WERE MAD!!!! BUT I FINALLY felt like I go them, even though they destroyed my stuff.

They TRIED to take the washer/dryer and had them unplugged but something spooked them and they left--I think it was the Border Patrol, but never knew for sure. JUST SOOOO glad we moved out Wed instead of the weekend as they thought. I know they wanted to take the all packed up boxes and would have emptied the house of everything.

SO, be careful. They will be back. Not to be mean, but be careful, and plan on moving soon. PS they will just shoot a dog, but at least it will warn you. Get an alarm that will go off when the doors or windows are opened and that calls the police--not you. AND always keep it set. And get outside motion detector lights to light up when someone walks in your yard. But most importantly, move. And change pharmacies...or how your medication is delivered--use a PO Box.

Sounds like you have had a hell of a lot of problems. I am glad you escaped that area though. I think I would have set up an M2 Browning machine gun and sniper nest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement