Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 02:39 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times

Advertisements

Article from Forbes's
Northwestern MutualVoice: Who Will Pay For Mom's Or Dad's Nursing Home Bill? Filial Support Laws And Long-Term Care

and Investment News

Why filial laws are a 'sleeping giant' that could prompt long-term-care planning

About the legal responsibility adult children might be called to bear for their parents who wind up with nursing home or other care-related bills the parents can't cover...

Right now 30 states have "filial laws" which can hold children responsible even if they signed nothing legal...

Texas where we live and have a married son and Florida where we have a second home and a married daughter are not one of the 30 but guess they could be with right kind of legislation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 03:07 PM

7,457 posts, read 4,693,802 times
So this is not covered by Medicare?

Old 05-27-2016, 03:26 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,537,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Only if associated with or following a hospital stay, and then not fully: it pays most/all for days 1-20, partially for days 21-100, zero past 100 days. In other words Medicare provides medical coverage but not long-term care.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:29 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
No, it isn't. If you are young, it's a good idea to begin saving now. Or take out a Long Term Care insurance policy.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:22 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,350,203 times
This is something I did not know. Must not be used very often.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:34 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
One fairly recent case, Health Care & Retirement Corp. of America v. Pittas, highlights just how substantial the financial burden can be on children. Enforcing Pennsylvania's filial support laws, the defendant was found responsible for his mother's long-term-care bill from a skilled nursing facility, to the tune of $93,000.
My guess is they'd only go after you if you have assets.

These are the States:

Alaska
Kentucky
New Jersey
Tennessee
Arkansas
Louisiana
North Carolina
Utah
California
Maryland
North Dakota
Vermont
Connecticut
Massachusetts
Ohio
Virginia
Delaware
Mississippi
Oregon
West Virginia
Georgia
Montana
Pennsylvania
Indiana
Nevada
Rhode Island
Iowa
New Hampshire
South Dakota

Old 05-27-2016, 08:38 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,666,056 times
The Pittas case is interesting. The family sued the nursing home for malpractice/neglect after Ms Pittas had a stroke during her stay. She had been admitted with both legs broken after a car accident. Head on collision. Wonder whose fault that was determined to be? Her husband, in the same accident, was in a coma for two weeks but apparently survived. They were reported to be in good health before the accident.

There are other children but only one is being sued by the facility. Ms Pittas went to Greece to stay with family after she left the nursing home. I didn't find any mention of Mr Pittas. Perhaps I didn't read far enough.

There is apparently a cap on what the facility can ask the son to pay which, for some reason, is being ignored by the courts. There must be more to the story

The son said that he had no idea that his parents were so poor. Part of the PA law is a requirement that children help indigent parents to enroll in Medicaid.

Most of the articles I read were 3 or 4 years old.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:36 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,227,257 times
Just another great reason not to save.

Can't be hit for money to fund parents if you are broke!

Old 05-28-2016, 03:17 AM

6,587 posts, read 7,094,342 times
Great post loves2read. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
The Pittas case is interesting. The family sued the nursing home for malpractice/neglect after Ms Pittas had a stroke during her stay. She had been admitted with both legs broken after a car accident. Head on collision. Wonder whose fault that was determined to be? Her husband, in the same accident, was in a coma for two weeks but apparently survived. They were reported to be in good health before the accident.

There are other children but only one is being sued by the facility. Ms Pittas went to Greece to stay with family after she left the nursing home. I didn't find any mention of Mr Pittas. Perhaps I didn't read far enough.

There is apparently a cap on what the facility can ask the son to pay which, for some reason, is being ignored by the courts. There must be more to the story

The son said that he had no idea that his parents were so poor. Part of the PA law is a requirement that children help indigent parents to enroll in Medicaid.

Most of the articles I read were 3 or 4 years old.

You have some great points here as well. This Pittas case has more to the story than meets the eye.

One other point you didn't mention is the source loves2read used in the thread. It is an insurance story on Forbes in their investment section. Northwestern MutualVoice Team, Northwestern Mutual sounds is certainly subject to using a grain of salt to digest the complete story. It is not saying that this is a false story but I look at sources of the stories I hear. Usually they are benign but a good number of them have an agenda behind them. This is one I think.

Still it does make me pause and revisit the idea of LTCi. I will talk it over with the wife and our financial advisor in a short while. I have been on the fence on the issue of LTCi and go back and forth. I guess we will make a decision in the up coming weeks or so.

Old 05-28-2016, 03:57 AM

106,722 posts, read 108,913,061 times
In that case, the son of a nursing home resident was held liable for paying his mother’s $93,000 nursing home bill when she fled the country. Ironically, neither the husband nor the other children of the nursing home resident were named as defendants Last year, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court refused to hear the appeal of the defendant son, and so now there is a precedent in pa.

but in another case in pa the reverse was done . creditors sued the parents for the bills when their son died in a home under the same laws ..

i am not sure how it works if the kids are in a state with filial laws but the parents are not . we have kids in new jersey which has the laws . we are in ny which does not .

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-28-2016 at 04:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement