Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2016, 05:14 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I've never had a cell phone and have no idea how to use one, much less text. Our phone is plugged into the wall.

Will we be able to access by computer? I have a computer.
No, if you've read the posts, you will NEED to get a code texted to a phone so you can log in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 05:19 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
No, if you've read the posts, you will NEED to get a code texted to a phone so you can log in.
I don't even know what that means.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:40 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,093,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I wouldnt be surprised if Medicare also implements this policy soon -- because of the following inclusion in the SSA email:

This new requirement is the result of an executive order for federal agencies <snip>

Does anyone else see this? NO vote, no option, probably no recourse. Just another decree.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:42 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Same qs and objections being voiced over and over.

Are people jumping in here and not reading anything posted - even one or two pages - earlier?

For those who have internet but with no cell or cell access, a free google voicemail account can be set up.

Once again, here is the link:

https://www.google.com/#q=free+google+voice+mail

That free google voice mail account can be set up to forward any messages to your email IN YOUR COMPUTER.

Voila - you have your code.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:50 PM

Voila what??

Dare I ask what a google voice mail account is? Never heard of that either.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:57 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Voila what??

Dare I ask what a google voice mail account is? Never heard of that either.
Aw....c'mon, now - it ain't that hard. Clearly you can read. Click on the google link, visit the voice mail page, and set up an account. Takes about 30 seconds. Then when you visit SSA.gov and it asks for a phone number, give SSA the google number. SSA will text the number to your google account, the google account forwards to your email - VOILA - you have the code to access you SSA account. No cell phone needed. I just did it - was so simple.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:04 PM

Thanks for condescending from on high.

I might also add that our current plan is to retire to south America.

Not only do I have zero experience with this stuff, I have no idea how to accomplish it, or even if it works internationally.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:05 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
[/i]

Does anyone else see this? NO vote, no option, probably no recourse. Just another decree.
I just read the ssa page about this. The order was to improve security. Didn't tell them how. This is the way they chose to do it.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:13 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Quote:
Thanks for condescending from on high.
I might also add that our current plan is to retire to south America.
Not only do I have zero experience with this stuff, I have no idea how to accomplish it, or even if it works internationally.

I agree that some people are acting very high and mighty in their texting knowledge and ability. And, sorry to say, I dont think those living outside the USA will be able to get past this new login requirement. I could be wrong, of course, as I'm one of those being mocked for my ignorance by the high and mighty here.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:19 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,085 times
Not happy about this, if it TRULY is mandatory, which I read here it NOW is. I do text, have been doing that for a few years (and yes I'm over 66). My husband does not text but sometimes people just do not take NO for an answer and will text him anyway. He has figured out that there is some way he can hit the right button and reply in voice right to their voice mail...and that person usually stops texting him! Yeah, he's a Neanderthal.

I guess what we do is both of us use My number. Calling is not an option. Been there done that, with hours and hours of wait time. SO Annoying. Also going to the office for some little dumb questions, with drive time and a half hour wait in the office on average is about an hour and a half. I'm sure Medicare will be following suit.

I have a bad feeling about giving out my cell number. Somebody already got that number and I get a number of spam cell calls. I also refuse to take those surveys on each and every register receipt I get from everybody these days. Once you do that, they have your email address and there goes the spam count, zoom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement