Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2016, 07:50 PM
eok

6,683 posts, read 4,285,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
If I wanted to, no doubt I could access my ex's SSA account. I know which passwords he would use and could answer every security question asked. And yes, I could access his email account as well. What I could not do is intercept the code sent via text.
He shouldn't share his passwords with untrustworthy strangers, ex's, and their ilk.

The same kind of problem could be just the opposite in some situations. An untrustworthy family member might have access to the cell phone but not to the passwords etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 08:12 PM

5,349 posts, read 6,074,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
He shouldn't share his passwords with untrustworthy strangers, ex's, and their ilk.

The same kind of problem could be just the opposite in some situations. An untrustworthy family member might have access to the cell phone but not to the passwords etc.
You mean a spouse should either not share a user i.d. and password while married or immediately change both of these when contemplating a divorce.

To gain access to a secure site, the family member would need the password even if he or she had the cell phone.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:17 PM
eok

6,683 posts, read 4,285,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
To gain access to a secure site, the family member would need the password even if he or she had the cell phone.
The point about the cell phone is that using it as the only method of multi-factor authentication doesn't accomplish the goal of security but does accomplish the goal of harassing millions of senior citizens and making things harder for them. In other words, it's a scheme imposed by a government, or other big stupid organization. And we need ways to work around such schemes, because they're constantly being imposed by people who would be unemployable if they weren't employed for their stupidity.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:18 PM

Yay! I finally found confirmation via SSA.gov. I was beginning to worry when I couldn't find an announcement that validated the email.

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/MoreIn...nAboutMFA.html

"We expect to provide additional options in the future, dependent upon requirements of national guidelines currently being revised."

Old 07-29-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
The point about the cell phone is that using it as the only method of multi-factor authentication doesn't accomplish the goal of security but does accomplish the goal of harassing millions of senior citizens and making things harder for them. In other words, it's a scheme imposed by a government, or other big stupid organization. And we need ways to work around such schemes, because they're constantly being imposed by people who would be unemployable if they weren't employed for their stupidity.
O.k.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:54 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,415,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Awhile back there was a big phone give away to people who couldn't afford cell phones. I wonder if seniors who can't afford one will be given one? That doesn't solve the problem of seniors who have problems, either seeing the small print, typing on the small letters, learning how to use new technology.
Honestly I'll bet many seniors can't get to SSA via online either. They either have to call, go to the library and get a librarian to help them, or just get a ride to their local SSA office.
The solution is to assign each senior an intern under the age of 21, who would be responsible for the senior's tech needs. That would alleviate the confusion for us old folks and give the youngsters something to do besides hunting for Pokemon.

Of course, we could still hide our own Easter eggs.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:00 PM

7,836 posts, read 6,480,080 times
There are scams where you receive an email or phone call from people claiming to be from either the IRS or some other official agency. IRS doesn't send emails or make phone calls, they use US Mail. I would be extremely suspicious especially if they asked for your SS number.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:01 AM

823 posts, read 557,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Because that would defeat the entire purpose of the two-step authentication process.

The whole point is to require two different means of communication to authenticate your account. If your computer security has been compromised by a keystroke logger or by some other means, then SSA emailing you a code obviously wouldn't be adding an additional level of security.
A keystroke logger does not read your email! If someone has hacked my social security account, that doesn't mean it's hacked my google account. They are two different things.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:39 AM

11,124 posts, read 5,644,481 times
I know a dozen people who receive Social Security benefits. And not a one of them has received a notice about this.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:08 AM

371 posts, read 540,541 times
I am happy to see the SSA implement two-step authentication and am frankly surprised it took them so long to do so. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but you can get a free Google Voice number and use it to send and receive text messages directly from your computer, no cell phone required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement