Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 01:02 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,063,762 times

Advertisements

From what I known of seniors on fixed income, this idea is a horrible FAIL.

I don't know a single person over 65 who TEXTS. AT ALL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 01:14 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,258,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I sent an email to SSA to complain about the policy (if you click on the link in the email they sent you, you see the Contact Us button)
Clearly an oversight on their part to allow you to complain via email. Next month, you will have to submit your complaints via text message.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:22 PM

15,154 posts, read 27,838,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Clearly an oversight on their part to allow you to complain via email. Next month, you will have to submit your complaints via text message.
LOL - I wouldn't doubt it!

Old 07-29-2016, 01:23 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,492,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post

Huh. My parents (late 70s) both text. As do all of my 65+ coworkers and (fairly) recent retirees. Some are more tech savvy than me. It's clear that folks can still get info over the phone and via the mail. Do all of these non-texting folks actually login to the SSA website and get info that way?

Old 07-29-2016, 01:25 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,258,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1405 View Post
I applaud the SSA for requiring a higher level of security. In my opinion all critical accounts (SSA, banks, brokerages etc.) should require 2 factor identification. This service isn't new for the SSA, I've had it enabled on my account for years but they are now requiring it.

What I don't understand is why they require texts only for 2 factor. My credit union has the same requirement but gives you the option receive an automated call with the security code spoken for those without cells phones. Of course I don't understand why anybody would still pay for a land line when you can pick up a basic text enabled phone or gently used smart phone for cheap and pay $15/month for unlimited talk and texts.
Folks, you're not going to win this one. You're just not. The world is getting more and more technology oriented and the modern world is not going to dumb it down or hold it back to accomodate a relatively small number of holdouts. While there are various alternatives to text for 2-factor authentication, the more processes you support the more difficult it becomes to implement. We will be lucky if SSA can implement one option well, much less multiple options.

Simple solution for the holdouts - get a google voice number or equivalent. It's free. Then you can have it convert your incoming text to email.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:30 PM

344 posts, read 417,531 times
I finally got my e-mail notifying me of this. Maybe it took so long because they were working their way through the alphabet. Lots of gnashing of teeth going on about this topic on their FB page too.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:33 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,981,058 times
I have a cellphone, but I am often out of the country so text (all data) is blocked both on my phone and on my account - and for good reason - it consumes too much bandwidth and is incredibly expensive when 'roaming'. In my case though I have absolutely nobody TO text to or receive texts from anyway - the only texts I ever got were spam. The ONLY persons who apparently can penetrate the 'no texting/data' barrier in effect are Obama and Verizon (and even the latter apparently only from certain 'accounts' - I rarely see incoming texts from them until I re-cross the border).

Due to changes in the Canadian system recently I was forced to buy a new cellphone and Verizon sold me a phone which they said would actually work where I go for several months at a time, however it does not work at all. I spent countless hours online and on the phone trying to sort all this out but nothing can be done till I return to the US (they are 'not allowed' to send a new one in the 'mail' apparently). So I am currently without any cellphone access at all yet I am still paying hefty cellphone fees. That was enough of a 'trap' - no way will I take any chance on turning on data up here ... ever! I could however make a phone call from a landline (but it may not be one on file so if that is a requirement, that would be an issue too). Make me call though .. ask me pre-defined security questions, etc. and I would accept that. Or send me an email (a method which other organizations seem to use with some success still).

And many SS recipients may be in the same or similar positions - living or taking long trips out of the country, and may or may not have a cellphone but if out of the country they don't or can't use it, or they limit their data use for monetary reasons. Not only that but their physical access to an SS office may also be zilch.

I too hope this is re-thought and other methods are added.

p.s. I have received no email about this .. as yet.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:50 PM

5,178 posts, read 3,784,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post

I'm closing in on 65. I have a cheap emergency cell phone that is only used for emergencies since I have a landline. I have an online SS account and really don't have a need to go online to look at it. I never use my phone for texting I mean if I need to get in touch with someone I call them. This new wave of no personal contact save a few letters on a small screen escapes me. Nothing is personal anymore. I think it sucks actually.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:01 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,609,563 times
What about people living in areas where cell phone reception is spotty or nonexistent? Seems like a rushed plan without common sense. My credit union gives me the option of text verification or answer a security question.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:13 PM

5,178 posts, read 3,784,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
What about people living in areas where cell phone reception is spotty or nonexistent? Seems like a rushed plan without common sense. My credit union gives me the option of text verification or answer a security question.
Surprising the govt. would rush something through w/o any thought?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement