Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2016, 07:20 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,409,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Thanks for condescending from on high.

I might also add that our current plan is to retire to south America.

Not only do I have zero experience with this stuff, I have no idea how to accomplish it, or even if it works internationally.
The key is remembering the answer to secret question number two, which usually involves the house number of the next-door neighbor of your sweetheart's aunt. Just make sure your password is at least seven but no more than twenty-three characters in length, contains no more than three numbers or capital letters, is divisible by seven, and contains at least two but no more than four special symbols, excepting $ and @.

See? Simple. Any millenial who wears a stocking cap in July and has a tattoo of a dragon on her calf can do it.

Oh, and if you are retiring south of the equator, reverse the above instructions. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 07:23 PM

5,289 posts, read 3,863,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
The key is remembering the answer to secret question number two, which usually involves the house number of the next-door neighbor of your sweetheart's aunt. Just make sure your password is at least seven but no more than twenty-three characters in length, contains no more than three numbers or capital letters, is divisible by seven, and contains at least two but no more than four special symbols, excepting $ and @.

See? Simple. Any millenial who wears a stocking cap in July and has a tattoo of a dragon on her calf can do it.

Oh, and if you are retiring south of the equator, reverse the above instructions. Hope this helps.

Lexis Nexis. They actually asked me about the relatives of my ex wife's husband. Crazy. Divorced 40 years ago.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:29 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,409,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Lexis Nexis. They actually asked me about the relatives of my ex wife's husband. Crazy. Divorced 40 years ago.
The thing is that when you're young (like most IT folks) you get away with stuff that would be considered creepy if done by a mature person.

This jejeunocracy we're living in gets more annoying every day.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:19 PM

306 posts, read 418,329 times
yep and when I emailed asking this I got the whole speech about why they were doing it nothing about why not sending it via email. I also asked how they were going to guarantee my cell number didn't get out to telemarketers. Nothing just a cut and paste answer

Old 07-30-2016, 08:36 PM
eok

6,683 posts, read 4,281,855 times
Google voice asks for a number to forward your calls to. Is there a way to sign up without giving them that? It looks like textfree.us might be another option.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:51 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,557,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I agree that some people are acting very high and mighty in their texting knowledge and ability. And, sorry to say, I dont think those living outside the USA will be able to get past this new login requirement. I could be wrong, of course, as I'm one of those being mocked for my ignorance by the high and mighty here.
I agree too. I am a bit savvy about these things but I admit the way the email to sign up was worded I didn't get it at first. They used the words "text code" or something like that and I thought it was some sort of special code I didn't understand or didn't have.

I had to read the instructions a couple of time before it dawned on me what they were saying. Now here's something that bugged me. Clicking on links that appear within emails can get you hacked but here's a link in their message that says "click here" for more info. I didn't do that. I went to the SS website and signed on. Or I should say tried to sign on. It demanded I go through the new procedure or no dice.

That's when I got it. You type in your cell number. They text you a big long clutzy code number. You type it in on your SS account agree to their terms of privacy, hah! and you're done. Not difficult but annoying that it must be done and it must be done in that way.

Big question, why the need for the text? Why not just emails?

Old 07-30-2016, 10:16 PM

11,180 posts, read 10,583,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prumio View Post
I live in an area that does not get a cell signal on any network, although we do have internet. What are we supposed to do? Put my computer in the car & drive to Starbuck's whenever we need access? Banks use land line phones numbers to deliver these codes, and SSA ought to be able to do the same.
If you have home wifi, you can connect your smartphone to that and send/receive texts via the internet.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:19 PM

11,180 posts, read 10,583,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
From what I known of seniors on fixed income, this idea is a horrible FAIL.

I don't know a single person over 65 who TEXTS. AT ALL.
DH & I are both over 65 and text extensively, I know many our age who do the same.
That said, I'm sure there are many seniors who do not and for that reason I don't support this change.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:04 AM

11,024 posts, read 7,908,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I agree too. I am a bit savvy about these things but I admit the way the email to sign up was worded I didn't get it at first. They used the words "text code" or something like that and I thought it was some sort of special code I didn't understand or didn't have.

I had to read the instructions a couple of time before it dawned on me what they were saying. Now here's something that bugged me. Clicking on links that appear within emails can get you hacked but here's a link in their message that says "click here" for more info. I didn't do that. I went to the SS website and signed on. Or I should say tried to sign on. It demanded I go through the new procedure or no dice.

That's when I got it. You type in your cell number. They text you a big long clutzy code number. You type it in on your SS account agree to their terms of privacy, hah! and you're done. Not difficult but annoying that it must be done and it must be done in that way.

Big question, why the need for the text? Why not just emails?

Why not just emails? Probably a plot by the millenial IT guys at Social Security to get the geezers to quit trying to get benefits so some money is left for them when the time comes.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:14 AM

2,783 posts, read 2,095,244 times
I can't believe there are 14 pages of moaning about this. 15 years ago no one did any SS online. Cyber security is a fact of life now, and is very expensive. There would always be some faction that can't be accommodated. Email accounts are far far less secure. May as well hand over the keys to your SS account to anyone that wants them. Though I am surprised they don't offer a robocall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement