Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 06:35 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,022,814 times

Advertisements

This is one of my old favorite radio shows. I used to listen to these when I worked night shifts, and had to drive to places to fix coin-op equipment from 1979-1988. It doesn't get much better than this!:

CBS Radio Mystery Theater

CBS Radio Mystery Theater - Free Show Downloads | CBSRMT Episode Guide

There's no way that listening to these will EVER bring on dementia!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 09:03 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,398,574 times
We enjoy movies from the 30s and 40s. We view them on Turner Classic Movies and GetTV. We haven't been to a theater in years.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:18 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,555,785 times
While I can appreciate and enjoy the old shows in small doses, we prefer to watch steaming new shows on Netflix and Amazon. They are much deeper and more interesting than the tripe on network TV. I have developed a huge dislike of living in the past. But with that said I do like movies from the 30s and the 40s. Way before I was born.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:15 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,914,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Meo, She's wrong. Anybody that watches the news non-stop these days, is already or soon will be brain-dead... Or maybe just wish they were dead. I forgot which,

Thanks for the laugh and I agree with you. lol The non stop news is pretty depressing these days but I watch it like a car accident you can't take your eyes off of. This election year alone has been a mix of laughable/disgusting/interesting and sometimes...to me...horrifying!

I don't watch much TV at all and can honestly say that I haven't seen probably 90% of the shows on TV now. I enjoy watching the old shows but mostly because they are actually 'new to me', even as far back as Leave It To Beaver and that ilk. For many years I didn't have a TV or worked evening hours when they were on. Even The Golden Girls shows are 'new to me' most of the time.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:20 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,914,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
A few years ago I was listening to old radio programs on my computer. What a snapshot of the those times!

The one that made me laugh and realize how limiting TV was to be for some actors was Gunsmoke. William Conrad (who was the star in the Cannon TV series later) was Matt Dillon on the radio program. He had such a melodious, deep voice and was good. A short, portly Matt Dillon wouldn't work for TV though, so tall, lanky James Arness was the Matt Dillon I grew up knowing.

TV and radio can make all of us time travelers, as least to the past.

I was doing that yesterday! Found a website with so many old shows I didn't know what to listen to first! I always loved the old Amos and Andy shows and the 'spooky' ones and the old detective shows. It was fascinating and I got really engrossed for a few hours listening to them. What fun! I'll go back and listen to more in time.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:08 AM

12,052 posts, read 8,440,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
We enjoy movies from the 30s and 40s. We view them on Turner Classic Movies and GetTV. We haven't been to a theater in years.
Oh yes! The Thirties and Forties produced some excellent movies. We both enjoy them.

Carol Burnett has her own channel on You Tube and we access that on our TV through ROKU. That ensemble cast was funny then and they are still funny now.

We also use the ROKU to watch Red Skelton, Johnny Carson, the old "Saturday Night Live" cast, "Second City TV" and the Smothers Brothers.

Does it contribute to development of Alzheimer's? Perhaps. Although it could also be a symptom of approaching Alzheimer's to want to simplify one's viewing material.

Broadly speaking I would guess that it's a pretty common and normal interest as we age to want to revisit things that we remember as entertaining.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:25 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,926,648 times
We only watch TV in the evening, but just a few old shows, like A. Griffith, Cheers, Bob Newhart. Other than that, most of them are just as dumb as the stuff today, or the stories are all the same. We've watched some of the other old shows, but we've seen them enough for one lifetime.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:23 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,839,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
While I can appreciate and enjoy the old shows in small doses, we prefer to watch steaming new shows on Netflix and Amazon. They are much deeper and more interesting than the tripe on network TV. I have developed a huge dislike of living in the past. But with that said I do like movies from the 30s and the 40s. Way before I was born.
I've tried streaming some new TV stuff and, for the most part, it is just WAY too violent for me. If you compare 40's noir to recent "grim and gritty", the sheer body count difference is appalling, not to mention the modern love of realistic gore.

I watched a new series on Syfy (streaming off Amazon, of course). It is "urban fantasy" and in one episode it showed the ghosts of 2 children "reliving" their ugly and graphic murders. No warnings. A later show mentioned was sex-themed (without showing much at all) but using some specific words like penis, breast, orgy and some sex-based slang and that episode had warning labels about content at what was probably every commercial break. Violence and gore, sure we show that no problem but even a hint of sex? OMG warnings galore!

The other thing is the pacing of movies - older movies tend to be set up and exposition in the first half and then pick up speed in the second half toward whatever the main event of the movie is. Modern movies have to have what would have been the climax for an older movie about every 15 minutes and I find it fatiguing plus I think the plot suffers. Badly.

The number of "good" movies and TV shows has probably stayed constant (by that I mean media that you would probably want to see again or that you thought the plot was particularly strong or the acting very good). It is just that the shift to "short attention span, always exciting" story telling is not for me.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:29 AM

4,539 posts, read 3,762,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I was doing that yesterday! Found a website with so many old shows I didn't know what to listen to first! I always loved the old Amos and Andy shows and the 'spooky' ones and the old detective shows. It was fascinating and I got really engrossed for a few hours listening to them. What fun! I'll go back and listen to more in time.
They are fun! BBC iPlayer has current radio programs that are enjoysble too. Here's a link for drama, there are other categories too. Some are available for only a short time. They range from 15 minutes to 90 minutes long. Some are new productions, some are older. You can get lost on this site for hours. No TV is available off their site in the US. Good listening!

BBC Radio - Programmes categorised as Drama, Available now

Old 08-08-2016, 10:36 AM

905 posts, read 667,939 times
We don't have satellite or cable. I like to watch the old shows. Andy Griffith, Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore. Even Green Acres makes me laugh. Also enjoy Rockford Files, Rifleman, and Johnny Carson.
We do watch a few newer shows, The Middle and we liked Mike and Molly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement