Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 08:28 AM

7,452 posts, read 4,684,019 times

Advertisements

It's been a strong week for me not changing my mind and still going with the condos. I have a plan to make it work and that is to really befriend my neighbors to my left and right and that will make my condo living heavenly. Also, there is a high chance that because these condos by the beach fetch high prices that my neighbors will be behaved.

I'm starting with the Philippines beaches as basis for other beaches around the world to compare to. If I see a better condo beach outside, then that will be my new basis and so forth and so on. I'm looking at pulling the trigger between 2018 and 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 08:50 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Let me clarify a few comments that I didn't think would need to be clarified.

Yes, it isn't always dark for 14 hours a night.

No, not everyone sleeps while it is dark.

Yes, the moon light cutting a path down the water is amazing as are the stars on some nights. I spent money winter evenings having dinner on my deck with my husband in the candlelight and moonlight and they were some of the most amazing nights of my life.

No, not all condos allow transient rentals.

Yes, I know things like galvanized steel don't rust.

I was trying to point out a few things and was generalizing for someone who has not ever lived on the ocean that may or may not end up being important.
I'll bet it averages 12 hours over a year.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:04 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
YES - reverse "SAD" is what it is!

I have been in Maine during Summers, and i'm OK if it's in the 80s because it has not been as terrible humid as South Jersey. The humidity here is disgusting.
I automatically think of anything north of the Mason-Dixon Line as north and therefore cool (although, intellectually, I know better; DC, for one, is brutal in summer), so this was a good reminder... Thanks!

Old 08-18-2016, 09:08 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I automatically think of anything north of the Mason-Dixon Line as north and therefore cool (although, intellectually, I know better; DC, for one, is brutal in summer), so this was a good reminder... Thanks!
The thing is, though, while it can be brutally hot here in the Mid Atlantic area, I doesn't stay that way all the time, and you can actually get a few cool days in the summer and a few warm days in the winter.

Old 08-21-2016, 03:14 PM

Saving up for my beach view. Currently, this is it unless something better comes along...

Old 08-21-2016, 03:32 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Your OP doesn't say if you have ever lived in a beach house before.

I would say this about expenses - and a few other things.

You are right in that they are high. But you also have to consider that...
  • Restaurants are going to be high priced too in the summer. In the winter they will be closed.
  • During the Summer, the air can be stifling with the heat and the smell of cars and people activity.
  • Supermarkets are high priced.
  • Taxes will be super high.
  • Gasoline will be high priced.
  • Auto service will be of higher price - along with just about any service you will need from home repair to appliance replacement.
  • Getting to your house in the summer may be a big pain. There will be lots of noise and the beach in front of your house will be crowded.
  • Sometimes, people have no qualms about coming up to your BF property to use your hose.
  • Although there are lots of signs saying otherwise, people (mostly kids) park and sometime urinate where ever they can find a place.
  • During the winter, there may only be 1 in 20 homes occupied and therefore no neighbors to talk to
  • During the winter the air is crystal clear.
  • You go to sleep with the sound and smell of the ocean.
  • You wake to the sound and smell of the ocean.
  • The sea air will be absolutely horrible for your car; both the body and the electronics so be sure to get one with good protection.
  • Everything feels damp almost all the time.
  • Sand really get everywhere and especially in your carpet and floors.

All-in-all, aside from the worst crowd days, the urination, stupid kids, and everything closing for the winter, I really enjoyed it. But the main point is, if you really want a beach front house, but have never owned one, rent one for a year or so before you purchase.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-21-2016 at 03:47 PM..

Old 08-22-2016, 05:58 AM

^All valid observations. People especially the kids can't handle alcohol well and when they get wild could lead to vandalisms.

There are ways to protect one's property on these though like having a fence or a security unit (if it's in a gated subdivision or a condo).

Old 08-22-2016, 11:50 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Your OP doesn't say if you have ever lived in a beach house before.

I would say this about expenses - and a few other things.

You are right in that they are high. But you also have to consider that...
  • Restaurants are going to be high priced too in the summer. In the winter they will be closed.
  • During the Summer, the air can be stifling with the heat and the smell of cars and people activity.
  • Supermarkets are high priced.
  • Taxes will be super high.
  • Gasoline will be high priced.
  • Auto service will be of higher price - along with just about any service you will need from home repair to appliance replacement.
  • Getting to your house in the summer may be a big pain. There will be lots of noise and the beach in front of your house will be crowded.
  • Sometimes, people have no qualms about coming up to your BF property to use your hose.
  • Although there are lots of signs saying otherwise, people (mostly kids) park and sometime urinate where ever they can find a place.
  • During the winter, there may only be 1 in 20 homes occupied and therefore no neighbors to talk to
  • During the winter the air is crystal clear.
  • You go to sleep with the sound and smell of the ocean.
  • You wake to the sound and smell of the ocean.
  • The sea air will be absolutely horrible for your car; both the body and the electronics so be sure to get one with good protection.
  • Everything feels damp almost all the time.
  • Sand really get everywhere and especially in your carpet and floors.
All-in-all, aside from the worst crowd days, the urination, stupid kids, and everything closing for the winter, I really enjoyed it. But the main point is, if you really want a beach front house, but have never owned one, rent one for a year or so before you purchase.

Sobering!

Old 08-22-2016, 04:51 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Food for thought about living at or near the ocean/beach. What do you want to do beside being on the beach and looking at the ocean? Much of the other things cost money and you need to work that in as part of your budget to determine what you want to afford/buy. Depending on where your beach is the recreational aspects can be expensive if enjoyed to the fullest. Perhaps you might want to work that into your budget about how close to the ocean you want to actually live.

The above thought came to mind after leaving a very nice restaurant on the beach tonight and enjoying the spectacular view walking to the car parked along the beach. The trade off for actually being on the water not worth it since we are retired and there a lot.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:45 PM

Top 10 beaches in Florida Keys.

https://www.homeaway.com/info/travel...e-florida-keys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement