Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 06:58 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarlin20 View Post
I am familiar with Hermosa Beach, I lived in downtown Manhattan Beach for twenty five years and owned rental houses in Hermosa Beach, I rebuilt one rental as a spec build, I'm now rebuilding five rental units as two spec builds. You might be amazed if you haven't visited Hermosa in the last few years, lots of rebuilding!

I loved living at the beach and love Manhattan Beach, it is a beautiful city. That said, I no longer want the beach life. The lots there are small (<3000 sq ft), necessitating a tall three story house, walking to stores is easy, but when driving's necessary, its a hassle and maneuvering the small alleys into the garage got tiresome, not to mention parking's a nightmare if I had more than one guest car. Downtown all houses on walkstreets have open front yards, its fun,but the lack of privacy gets tiresome when people nicely stop to say hello and start a conversation when you don't feel like talking. I thought I might miss the cool beach breeze, but I find we like the warmer weather we have on Palos Verdes Peninsula. The salt air is harsh, but never a deal breaker for me. The South Bay is primarily owner occupied, not many vacant houses. Wonderful place if one wants to be in the heart of the action, there's plenty of good restaurants, stores, medical care.
A little bell went off in my head when you mentioned Manhattan Beach. It's one of many beachfront places that has had issues with AirBnB:

Manhattan Beach, targeting AirBnB, officially bans short term rentals

If anyone is looking at a beachfront (or similar resort type) area - it's best to look into what the local AirBnB situation is. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 10:21 AM

249 posts, read 266,949 times
Yes, rentals must be minimum thirty days, it is not an "airBnB" situation, it applies to all rentals. Vacation rentals is a whole different world than long term rental properties. Personally I think the minimum is good for the sanity of the neighbors, but sad for the many quiet people who want to rent for a week for a family vacation.

Funny it reminds me, a few years ago a friend's son dogsat for me, he had done it few months earlier all was fine. The second time, I came home and could tell things looked different, I went out on my balcony and saw a beer can on my neighbors roof (it had to be thrown from my house), then I noticed cigarette butts in my planters. Hmmm
I went to the store and ran into a neighbor who was shocked I'd rented out my house for the weekend. He said boys were on my balcony yelling to girls walking by to come up to the party house they'd rented for the weekend. Sadly, my friend was very uncomfortable around me after that, I told her, don't worry I have three sons, been there done that.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:25 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,798,443 times
I agree that neighborhoods that were built and sold as residences shouldn't allow short term rentals. I wouldn't like it if there were strangers coming and going all the time if it was done in my current neighborhood, even though it is likely that it would be business travelers.

If I buy a snowbird trailer in a campground, I would go in knowing that there would be constant short term rentals and decide against it if it bothered me.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:40 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
^I meant the one like on the video, where it is man-made beach.
That doesn't appeal to me at all.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:18 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
One question is do you want to retire to the beach or a beach town. Size of town? Shopping available? Closeness to big box stores etc etc. Do you want a beach or a beach town.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:53 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
One question is do you want to retire to the beach or a beach town. Size of town? Shopping available? Closeness to big box stores etc etc. Do you want a beach or a beach town.
Yes, we live in a beach town, but NOT on the beach. We have a reasonably priced home, I am retired but my hubby will retire in 4 more years. We are not here for the beach, per se, but it is a wonderful place to live. It is beautiful, lots of amenities, good medical facilities and most anything we could want. While we are not beach goers, we do live in a waterfront neighborhood (not on the water but near) and that is sufficient.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:25 AM

The current weather is a reminder of one of the downsides, though I found this interesting:

Hermine makes landfall, first hurricane to strike Florida in 11 years

NC only had 2 over that period and there were 4 years with no Atlantic hurricanes. I don't know if this has been an anomaly or not; forecasters think this year might be above average. Anyway, it is something to think about and plan for, but it's not like every fall is nothing but bad weather.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:02 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Just glanced at real estate in northern Florida near Jacksonville. Yikes; not nearly as cheap as Myrtle Beach. I guess you'll end up paying for not paying taxes on your retirement... They get you one way or the other!

Old 09-02-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Just glanced at real estate in northern Florida near Jacksonville. Yikes; not nearly as cheap as Myrtle Beach. I guess you'll end up paying for not paying taxes on your retirement... They get you one way or the other!
That's not exactly apples to apples, though. MB has a fairly reliable 6 month beach season (April-September) and warm days are rare in 3 of the other 6. JAX is more like a 8 month season and warm days are common in the other 4.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:14 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
So... More rentable? Because I don't mind "cool days" at the beach myself. Also closer to a bigger city/amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement