Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 08:52 AM

24,569 posts, read 18,327,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Seems there is a widespread, misguided sense about "salt air" and where it comes from. You obviously know the truth having lived here for six years.

For everyone else, salt doesn't evaporate into the air above the ocean. It is cast up into the air by wave action and wind. If the wind is offshore (blowing from the land towards the ocean) there is very little or no salt in the air. Likewise, if the ocean is calm and there is no wind there is minimal or no salt air.

Lacking a garage, a vehicle will get the brunt of the salt when it's there. For the stuff inside the house, it's a simple affair to avoid the salt; no windows or doors open when conditions favor salt. When the ocean is calm or the wind is calm or offshore open those windows up. Nothing to be afraid of.

It's not even that. Salt doesn't evaporate. Unless you're getting salt spray from surf or a big storm, there's no salt in the air. I live on the ocean. Most places, there are vast expanses of green lawn the run pretty much right up to the ocean. Try putting salt on grass and see what happens. It dies. If you're somewhere with surf and waves crashing, you'll have a few hundred feet where most things won't grow from the salt spray. Inland from that, it's not a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 08:57 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,123,884 times
FWIW I lived just a few blocks from the Pacific for a little over 20 years, and we did indeed have quite an issue with corrosion. Mostly it happened to things on the exterior of the house. Hinges, screen door frame, door knocker, mail box, things like that. I don't recall much happening to the car, although we had a garage and never parked it on the street.

It was a common problem for those of use who lived near the beach, but friends who lived just a few blocks farther away from the ocean didn't have the same issue. I loved that place, but having gone through the experience we decided that if we ever moved to another beach town we'd look for a place that was walking distance, but not right on the water. Or, maybe get a condo so there wouldn't be as much exterior maintenance to worry about. Or, avoid the issue by choosing to live next to a river beach instead of an ocean beach.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:04 AM

22,014 posts, read 13,054,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
FWIW I lived just a few blocks from the Pacific for a little over 20 years, and we did indeed have quite an issue with corrosion. Mostly it happened to things on the exterior of the house. Hinges, screen door frame, door knocker, mail box, things like that. I don't recall much happening to the car, although we had a garage and never parked it on the street.

It was a common problem for those of use who lived near the beach, but friends who lived just a few blocks farther away from the ocean didn't have the same issue. I loved that place, but having gone through the experience we decided that if we ever moved to another beach town we'd look for a place that was walking distance, but not right on the water. Or, maybe get a condo so there wouldn't be as much exterior maintenance to worry about. Or, avoid the issue by choosing to live next to a river beach instead of an ocean beach.
I'm also looking at large lake beaches. No salt air there, although I'm sure there are other problems!

Old 07-19-2018, 11:19 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,676,877 times
Wow, I cannot believe people get so jaded they tire of an ocean view! Yikes. It's been over 2 years and we absolutely LOVE our ocean view. I never tire of it. Never. I am so grateful to have it. Never thought I'd be able to. I wake up in the morning, without even lifting my head from the pillow and there are the waves crashing.

People don't really sit on our deserted beach, for whatever reason. We sit by our pool, then walk or play Frisbee on our beach. Some surf but we are content to watch or walk or both. Often there is nobody on the beach but us. A few fishing rowboats out to sea....

No hurricanes, no floods, no bugs, no crowds. No night-life. I love the sand; it beats the red dust we had living in the high desert. That coated everything. Sand gets washed off before we enter the condo.

Salt, so what. We have vinyl windows/sliders and yes, the locks rusted but were replaced with stainless steel. The windows are open, nothing is corroding inside. Sorry that others have such problems. We don't have a car, but it doesn't seem to be an issue for those who do.

I can still see the ocean at night---all our nights and days are 12 hours. I never get bored; the ocean fascinates me that much.

It's a great thing we all like something different so we can seek out various locations to suit us, and don't all end up in the same crowded place like, uh, SoCal.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:34 AM

4,545 posts, read 3,769,138 times
Sand&Salt, being able to listen to the waves is perfection, you are so fortunate to have that. I never tire of any water views and never will. I find myself taking in deeper breathes and and relaxing when I’m near big bodies of water. That isn’t the case for other people I know, water has no effect on them. That’s okay, I’m don’t live with them.

I’m grateful I’ve always been able to be within walking or biking distance to water since I’ve been an adult and had a choice. If I could choose to live where you do, I would.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:50 AM

11,178 posts, read 16,042,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
It was a common problem for those of use who lived near the beach, but friends who lived just a few blocks farther away from the ocean didn't have the same issue. I loved that place, but having gone through the experience we decided that if we ever moved to another beach town we'd look for a place that was walking distance, but not right on the water.
But then you wouldn't wake up to this.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...-view-sofa.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I can still see the ocean at night---all our nights and days are 12 hours. I never get bored; the ocean fascinates me that much.
Yeah, I've never understood people who pooh-pooh living on the ocean by saying you can't see anything at night. The ocean is gorgeous at night, especially on clear nights with the moon glowing down. We also have the added benefit of watching the cruise ships leave most every night from the Port of Miami, as well as lined up before dawn waiting for the port to open in the morning. The view of the cruise ships sailing out to sea with their lights all ablaze against the darkened sky is absolutely stunning.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:38 AM

7,462 posts, read 4,712,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
But then you wouldn't wake up to this.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...-view-sofa.jpg

I never will get tired of seeing that pic. Not sure if that is your house but thanks for re-sharing.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:56 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,676,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Sand&Salt, being able to listen to the waves is perfection, you are so fortunate to have that. I never tire of any water views and never will. I find myself taking in deeper breathes and and relaxing when I’m near big bodies of water. That isn’t the case for other people I know, water has no effect on them. That’s okay, I’m don’t live with them.

I’m grateful I’ve always been able to be within walking or biking distance to water since I’ve been an adult and had a choice. If I could choose to live where you do, I would.
Yes, it calms and energizes me like nothing else. The endless power, majesty and motion.

Plus we have millions of little red sand crabs, in and out of their holes. We sit on some driftwood and watch them go about their business, part of which is to form little balls that cover the beach and act like massagers on your bare feet! So entertaining. Here you can see one brandishing his claim and all his little sand balls behind him:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=0&ajaxhist=0

Old 07-20-2018, 12:00 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,804,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It's not even that. Salt doesn't evaporate. Unless you're getting salt spray from surf or a big storm, there's no salt in the air. I live on the ocean. Most places, there are vast expanses of green lawn the run pretty much right up to the ocean. Try putting salt on grass and see what happens. It dies. If you're somewhere with surf and waves crashing, you'll have a few hundred feet where most things won't grow from the salt spray. Inland from that, it's not a problem.
My FL relatives say the same thing about that being overblown. You don't have to get far at all from the water to have no "salt air" effect. However sand finding its way everywhere is not overblown; you would think it was alive the way it seems to creep around in a house.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:24 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,976,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
There are salt tolerant lawn grasses. And a lot of other vegetation that grows in salty regions. Most beaches plant various grasses on sand dunes to protect against inland flooding and beach washouts during storms.

Salt-tolerant Lawngrasses - Gardening Solutions - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement