Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 01:29 PM

876 posts, read 820,125 times

Advertisements

The replies which are filled with hate and spite are from very angry, sad people. Sometimes, I just laugh at them because a few of them are funny, unintentionally or not.

Others I feel bad for because trolls are generally not very intelligent or evolved enough as people to be able to interact online in a positive way, even when they're otherwise anonymous.

“The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching.” John Wooden

Or you can just skip over the rest and don't finish reading the post once you realize they have nothing of value to say! ; )

Old 08-08-2016, 01:38 PM

5,951 posts, read 5,140,541 times
When I first started posting here, I was very naïve. Thought people here were normal, willing to give information to a poster who genuinely did not have the info they were looking for such as retirement money, etc. I even had one poster jump all over me because I didn't quote the Bible correctly. Another must have been sitting on the window ledge waiting for me to post so they could jump on and tear up what I said and just plain made me feel lower than a snake's belly.

I know, we are all responsible for how we feel about ourselves. But when such blatant attacks occur.... it unfortunately brought out the beast in me. Wish I could say the best but beast is more accurate.

I was turned in many times. I could not understand why the mods didn't see what was written first that I responded to. But I was told a couple of times by one or two mods that if I get slammed, to not respond but to report them.

Silly me. I thought we were all adults here.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:46 PM

4,067 posts, read 5,670,228 times
The internet in general attracts a lot of mean and nasty people and out-and-out fruitcakes...some sites and forums more than others. The site I go on most is a gardening forum and it's pretty much a nice friendly site, which discourages any comments on politics, religion, personal attacks and hot-button controversial things. Sometimes you have to remind people that forget and let themselves slip into such subjects, but usually they'll drop their comments if it's in violation of policies there. This year, I even avoid the TV news and even somewhat avoid TV in general because of the election and nasty political BS. I read parts of the newspaper and have a couple of online sites that are strictly NO POLITICS news sites. On Facebook, I have few "friends" added and it is set up so that any "friend" that strays into political and extreme religious subjects don't appear on my feed. Less aggravation that way.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:46 PM

4,390 posts, read 4,451,816 times
I have a friend who has a very dry (and sharp) sense of humor. When I am with him and can see his facial expressions and hear his inflection his comments are quite humorous. HOWEVER, when he texts similar comments they read like insults.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:06 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,321,404 times
Some on this collection of forums want little more than to boost their post, read, and rep counts. Rather than to post this: they post vitriol.

As a previous responder stated, the Internet is forever. Let their precious reputation precede them.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:34 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,638,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
There seems to be people who really like to call out and belittle posters; and even accuse them of not being truthful. You really have to think twice before you post a new thread or a response. Its OK to disagree with a poster but you don't have to humiliate them in the process. This will only make people stay away from city-data, leaving us with a forum of bullies ready to pounce on people for asking questions, saying stuff like--"Its none of your business--- why are you asking this question". When I see that, I say so frickin what that the OP asked the question, don't respond if you don't care to answer.
I stopped starting new threads or even commenting because of the responses. I just read what I want
and disregard what I don't like or agree with. This is my choice so no responses please!

Old 08-08-2016, 06:14 PM

7,079 posts, read 6,377,349 times
My 2 cents. Not giving info, support and discussions to each other let's 'them' stop our dialogue. For myself, I will ignore the bs and continue to respond to our retirement threads.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:19 PM

146 posts, read 163,055 times
A buildup of stress in modern society with little opportunities to manage it is probably a factor.

I remember a study with rats and stress. If they put a rat in a cage and subjected it to stress it would eventually develop ulcers and other illnesses. If they added a stick or another object the rat could "attack" and chew on it developed less illness. If they put another rat in the cage with the stressed rat-- the stressed rat remained free of illness by regularly attacking the poor rat added to the cage.

I think that a few people participating in online forums are lonely, angry people with no available means of de-stressing.

And I also think we are fundamentally (in terms of behavior and social interaction) just rats with bigger brains.

I try to look upon such posts with compassion... but it is hard sometimes.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:24 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,099,174 times
Retirement threads attract old people.
Old people can be bitter, cranky and nasty.
Plus, we know it all

Old 08-08-2016, 07:28 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,930,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It's hard to turn it off after you come from the Politics & Other Controversies or Elections forum.
Why I stopped posting there.😎
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement