Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 07:03 AM

82 posts, read 80,942 times

Advertisements

I read some comments on this forum that are just downright hateful. What has happened to kindness, compassion and just being NICE? Is it a thing of the past? It almost seems like they take joy in it but maybe they are just unhappy?
I know it's another 'old fashioned expression' but my mother always told me If I couldn't say something nice, not to say anything at all.
I thought as adults we had learned to act better than this. I pity those that can't scroll on by instead of being so nasty!

Old 08-08-2016, 07:52 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,081,126 times
It's hard to turn it off after you come from the Politics & Other Controversies or Elections forum.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:55 AM

12,064 posts, read 10,301,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Folks View Post
I read some comments on this forum that are just downright hateful. What has happened to kindness, compassion and just being NICE? Is it a thing of the past? It almost seems like they take joy in it but maybe they are just unhappy?
I know it's another 'old fashioned expression' but my mother always told me If I couldn't say something nice, not to say anything at all.
I thought as adults we had learned to act better than this. I pity those that can't scroll on by instead of being so nasty!
People are people. Just like in everyday life. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:10 AM

997 posts, read 712,531 times
There seems to be people who really like to call out and belittle posters; and even accuse them of not being truthful. You really have to think twice before you post a new thread or a response. Its OK to disagree with a poster but you don't have to humiliate them in the process. This will only make people stay away from city-data, leaving us with a forum of bullies ready to pounce on people for asking questions, saying stuff like--"Its none of your business--- why are you asking this question". When I see that, I say so frickin what that the OP asked the question, don't respond if you don't care to answer.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:40 AM

218 posts, read 175,265 times
Quote:
You are absolutely correct in your assessment. Unfortunately, if you're looking for civility and respect, you're probably in the wrong place.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:42 AM

7,207 posts, read 9,357,987 times
I haven't noticed nasty replies.

But I avoid the Politics and Religion sections.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:45 AM

828 posts, read 695,552 times
Quote:
The anonymity of this site turns people into keyboard warriors

Old 08-08-2016, 08:55 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,311,440 times
I was told recently in another forum on CD that I come off as condescending or arrogant, even though IRL I'm not that way at all. Realized I was taking it all a bit too seriously, and stepped back a bit.

It happens.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:13 AM

12,064 posts, read 8,467,139 times
Quote:

/I thought as adults we had learned to act better than this. I pity those that can't scroll on by instead of being so nasty!
And don't assume we're all adults. Remember it's summer and school is out. Forums can get a lot more chaotic during summer vacation.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:17 AM

6,359 posts, read 7,794,315 times
[mod note: Please, if you come across a post that you perceive to be against the TOS, report the post by clicking on the little white/red triangle with an exclamation point in the upper-right corner of that post. This way, it will be investigated by a moderator and appropriate action, if any needed, will be taken. Thank you.]

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.