Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 08:07 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Not married so not a problem for me. My mom and dad though didn't have a problem either. All throughout their long marriage they did things solo. Their interests differed from each other so they went their separate ways many times when it came to amusing themselves. Dad liked fishing and baseball. Mom liked concerts and movies. Dad was outgoing and loved people. Mom was an introvert and didn't. They did do things together but they were each definitely their own person.

So they happily went their own way. When they both retired, they had some problems getting used to being together all day but they eventually fell into their own routines. When my dad passed away first, my mom did have to adjust to him not being there but she did have her things to keep her busy and it worked out fine. I think it made his passing easier for her.

Maybe two people who are so dependent upon one another for every single thing might not be so healthy a lifestyle. One of them is not going to be around forever leaving the other to deal with life alone.
Great post, thank you for sharing this. At our ages I see many couples always do things together and sometimes I wonder why it doesn't work that way for us. Nice to know there are many kinds of normal!

Old 08-22-2016, 07:52 AM

496 posts, read 396,020 times
I am loving my retirement and my husband enjoys his. He is already in his garages by the time I wake up around 7:00. He spends his day puttering in the garages and exercise classes twice a week. I putter inside and go to the local park three times a week for exercise. I manage our businesses that are still active to receive sale of company income and manage our properties though I've just hired a property management agency to take care of maintenance of them. I also go to my youngest daughter's home at least once a week to help with her infant twins, and I love doing that. I feel that my days are so much more fun now. I'm busier than I ever was but the things I do now are mostly enjoyable.

I worry about him because once he comes down to the house around three he plays solitaire on his computer until time for bed. He has the tv on nonstop but is so focused on solitaire that he just has it for background noise. I play numerous games including sudoku and crossword to keep my brain sharp. I am the tech and electronics person and the financial person. Hopefully if I go first my daughter will step in and help with the financial part as doing quarterly tax filing for personal and three businesses is draining mentally and beyond what he could do so it's either my daughter or he will have to have our accountant do it all.

He does have a lot of car activities that he goes to and is away a week at a time three to four times a year so he isn't socially isolated though both of us are happy hermits most of the time.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:12 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
we don't entertain nearly as much as we used to. we also do not get invited to as many parties as we used. sometime i miss that interaction and then i think of boring conversations that go no where and don't miss it. my husband misses it too and wants to give parties but frankly our circle has shrunk and i would rather spend my time reading and in the gym than prepare and clean up for parties.
How has your social life changed in that regard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.