Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 05:27 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

so glad they have a good insurance plan. I just found one chewed up by our new puppy. DH is livid with me cause i left them on the table and not in the box. I feel terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 08:34 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,167 times
Update

Now is a good time to buy hearing aids at Costco.

Several of the brand name aids just came out with new Costco models, and a new Kirkland model was just released KS-7, which is a very good deal. KS-7 is essentially the current Rexton aid offered by Costco, but better... with more features... and $900 cheaper than the Rexton. Crazy. The KS-7 is $1700 for a PAIR of hearing aids.

My Dad tried 3 pairs of aids, and liked the KS-7 the best. Clearest for him, with only a slight program modification. He is a big music listener, and the new KS-7 is designed with 3 different programs you can use while listening to music in different environments. He downloaded the App to control his aids from his android smart phone (mute, change volume/program/microphone directionality) so he doesn't need to buy a remote control. It also comes with a special "magnet" you stick on your phone, and then when you hold your phone up to your ear you hear the caller in both of your aids. A few other features that escape me... Batteries are also very cheap at Costco and they start you with a bunch for free.

Great return policy. Can return Anytime in 6 months for a full refund. 3 year warranty. 2 year additional insurance included for loss or damage such that each aid can be replaced once for free in those 2 years. Crazy. Free visits at any time for aid adjustments, cleaning, part replacement (eg. New domes). When you buy it with your Costco credit card, you get an additional 2% off and more cash back, depending upon your type of Costco membership.

Such a deal. My Dad's doctor recommended Costco for aids more than their own University audiology department, since the price and survice are so good.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:40 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,062,579 times
My wife has hearing like a cat, keen. Yet she sometimes struggles with background noise. Many places have poor conversational acoustics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogg View Post
Nothing is going to kill all of the background in a place like a restaurant, regardless of how much $$ you throw at the problem. Random noise like that found in public is very difficult to control. All of these hearing devices handle sound with a mixture of trade offs.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:45 AM

My experience is that most audiologists are no better than a good Costco tech. Do not offer anything that Costco cannot and does offer. Costco is, has changed the business model for the hearing industry. I practically begged two different audiologists to change their pricing to a model that placed a less heavy emphasis on front-end pricing, to a model that provided less free value add, then ala carte pricing. They refused and I finally went the Costco route.

So happy I did. No going back to the captive practices of the AuD marketplace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
our audiologist told us right off the bat she can offer us all kinds of added value service but cannot compete on price with costco .

prices were almost 1/2 at costco for the same unit just labeled differently .

Old 10-05-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
My wife has hearing like a cat, keen. Yet she sometimes struggles with background noise. Many places have poor conversational acoustics.
The KS-7 hearing aids my dad just got have a couple features to address the background noise problem. There is one program you can switch to that is specifically for noisy environments, so he'll have to see how that helps. Also, you can use the App to control where the microphones are collecting sound. So for example, if you are sitting at a table in a noisy restaurant, you can tell the aids to focus the microphone in the front direction (if sitting across from one person, for example), and tone down sound coming from behind you, which is likely just "noise". We'll see if t helps.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
My experience is that most audiologists are no better than a good Costco tech. Do not offer anything that Costco cannot and does offer. Costco is, has changed the business model for the hearing industry. I practically begged two different audiologists to change their pricing to a model that placed a less heavy emphasis on front-end pricing, to a model that provided less free value add, then ala carte pricing. They refused and I finally went the Costco route.

So happy I did. No going back to the captive practices of the AuD marketplace.
My Dad met with two different techs at Costco so far. The first had been there for 3 years, but she was not very good at explaining things. On the second visit, he met with the most senior person, who was really excellent - great at explaining, and very patient and systematic. She also understood the physics of the hearing aids better, which my techie father liked.

So I recommend that if you are trying out Costco for the first time, or if you are going their for your first pair of hearing aids, then make your appointment with the Manager of the hearing aid center. That is likely the most experienced person.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:19 AM

I have three years w Costco. Interactions w several techs at different so know what to expect. I have Ks 5s. Been taking w them leading up to the intro of the 7s. Have to make and appointment,but will prolly get. Having worn AIDS for 17+years (only 68) I know that at the three year mark starting to live on aid life expectancy borrowed time. Will make current 5s backup. Sound like some improvements. Appreciate your comments
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
My Dad met with two different techs at Costco so far. The first had been there for 3 years, but she was not very good at explaining things. On the second visit, he met with the most senior person, who was really excellent - great at explaining, and very patient and systematic. She also understood the physics of the hearing aids better, which my techie father liked.

So I recommend that if you are trying out Costco for the first time, or if you are going their for your first pair of hearing aids, then make your appointment with the Manager of the hearing aid center. That is likely the most experienced person.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:28 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Thanks to this forum and other research on the web, I just got mine at Costco.
Included was the remote control which is absolutely great...no fumbling around for the tiny button ( I opted for the smallest one) and can even adjust the level of amplification as well as the directional feature.
I would recommend it to anybody!

Old 10-08-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Thanks to this forum and other research on the web, I just got mine at Costco.
Included was the remote control which is absolutely great...no fumbling around for the tiny button ( I opted for the smallest one) and can even adjust the level of amplification as well as the directional feature.
I would recommend it to anybody!

Congrats!

Which kind did you get? Let us know how they work for you so this thread can be used in the future for recs on which hearing aids to get at Costco.

Also, is there a reason you got the remote control rather than just using your phone (if you have a smart phone)?

Old 10-09-2016, 04:32 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Best suited to me is the ReSound Cala.The remote was included and welcome since I do not have an I Phone.
in the interests of vanity, nobody yet has known I have them on and I have quite short hair.
So far, so good, in all respects. have a re-check apt today for any possible adjustments to the "normal" setting or whatever.
The original fitting after getting them took almost an hour so you can see that Costco is very thorough and they've extended the warranty to 180 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement