Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 07:16 AM

35,507 posts, read 17,405,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Another example of the media's misinformed opinion that we actually care or consider important what celebrities or billionaires say.
Billionaires usually, but not always, have above-average intelligence. Celebrities, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 08:18 AM

15,234 posts, read 10,432,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There is actually a lot of evidence that people are less happy after they retire. I don't think he is saying anything about money but that having a purpose and reason to get up at a certain time, etc makes you happier than retirement even if it's a wealthy retirement. I don't really get why so many seem to think this statement reflects lack of understanding of not being rich,it has nothing to do with that.

His philosophy is akin to Buddhism, enjoy where you are and not some far off "end goal" that you think will make you happy (retirement), that happiness should be found in the moment you are in, not given up in the present in order to achieve some end destination (retirement).

There are many people who put off happiness in the present for that "someday" of retirement, he is simply saying that shouldn't be the goal we trade our present for.

Well said. While I only work two days a week now, it's nice waking up and knowing I have someplace to go, a reason to get dressed in nice clothes, put on make-up and do my hair. It's the kind of job that I could do until I'm 70 or more if I choose to stay there.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:11 PM

249 posts, read 268,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Another example of the media's misinformed opinion that we actually care or consider important what celebrities or billionaires say.
The OP was from CNBC, a business channel, showing comments Branson, a successful business man made, why wouldn't some one watching that channel be interested in his perspective on work and retirement?

Reading this thread, it appears most people here are not interested in business life, okay don't read the thread or watch CNBC,but don't criticize man because he is successful in his work.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:13 PM

249 posts, read 268,344 times
Quote:
just judging by many of the responses here, there do seem to be some retirees who are more bitter than happy, so maybe he has a point.
exactly

Old 09-17-2016, 01:29 PM

6,741 posts, read 7,174,141 times
Quote:
I care. I like Buddhist philosophy and agree with a lot of that thought process, so I think it's a good article. It has no bearing on anything whether he is rich or not. All he is saying is find your happiness all along your journey and don't count on retirement being some sort of panacea which will bring instant happiness....that many of us kill ourselves along the way to achieve some illusion that retirement will bring peace and happiness, and miss our lives along the way. What does being rich have to do with it? I know rich but unhappy lawyers and middle class but happy maintenance men.

Just judging by many of the responses here, there do seem to be some retirees who are more bitter than happy, so maybe he has a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Billionaires usually, but not always, have above-average intelligence. Celebrities, not so much.
I will defend myself and my replies to Richard Branson. I get that he may be sagely in his points but and this is not the case with me. I get to retire. But I know many who will not be able to because as laborers they didn't have the resources to. Some of the reasons are because they never advanced to a higher level of pay. Some because they went through multiple marriages. Those are situations many people can find themselves in easily. I am just saying that had this been spoken to people that are slated to live on SS for their existence in retirement it would have been met just as I had done. Honestly his wording was just kind of spoken awkwardly and probably not intending to disparage anyone. But the reality of it is the opposite. His choice in wording to me appears to not take into consideration those that labor at low wage jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement