Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 10:52 AM

483 posts, read 624,414 times

Advertisements

Branson says ..........
"Do what you love and love what you do!"

I feel like that but I still don't want to "do it" the rest of my life....work that is. I day dream of sleeping in and taking a sledge hammer to my alarm clock on my last day I work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 12:57 PM

757 posts, read 838,324 times
"Don't worry, be happy." "Money ain't everything". "Things will be better tomorrow." "Cheer up, things could be worse." "Who needs money, we have our health." "If you had only invested in ______." "Things will work out." Blah, blah, blah, blah.......

Old 09-10-2016, 02:16 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I don't care what Branson says and I am certain he wouldn't care what I say. To each their own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well, he's free to make his own choices, and he's even free to express his own opinions on the topic. Me?.I'm free to disregard what he says and to make my own choices. Next....

I would like to know what the point of these two off-topic posts is? We could all post the exact same sentiment in every single thread of which we are not the original poster, in which case can you imagine all the absurd clutter that would result?

Are you two trying to say that you think the rest of us are really interested in your non-interest in the topic under discussion? Why did you even post in this thread?

Old 09-10-2016, 02:32 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
Is that a person we're supposed to pay attention to?

edit: Looked him up in wikipedia - guess I don't pay much attention to billionaires, having very little in common with them.

So, cool, the billionaire doesn't think that retirement should be the goal.

Agreed. I don't think so, either. I rank happiness, and health, and probably a couple of other things higher as goals.

But I'm damn glad I'm retired!

Old 09-11-2016, 03:58 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
I am currently doing research for an article on this question. Where I come out is that one's goal should be to *like* their work enough to want to do it, at least part time, well beyond the conventional retirement age. Not everybody can, but that is something to strive for.

It's hard to save enough money for a comfortable retirement when most people in professional and technical fields only work for 35 or so years but need to fund 80 years of life (age 20 to 100). Starting work earlier in life and finishing it later are two ways to make the task easier.

And if you're going to be doing something for that long, you'd better enjoy it, at least a little.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:05 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Sometimes you just need to leave before your old employer realizes how much you were worth. My employer talked a good story about pay for performance but never quite got there. In addition they really ignored the older established workers. We were self sufficient and did not require much supervision so often no one bothered to find out what we really did. Instead they just seemed to up the workload. We got the tail end of raises since there was this idea that we would just continue on until retirement. Well, I did continue on until I retired but that was several years earlier than they anticipated. When asked why I was retiring, I just smiled and said because my time was worth more to me than my level of pay. I think at first they thought I was just being silly. I think they finally understood later when they tried to replace me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I am currently doing research for an article on this question. Where I come out is that one's goal should be to *like* their work enough to want to do it, at least part time, well beyond the conventional retirement age. Not everybody can, but that is something to strive for.

It's hard to save enough money for a comfortable retirement when most people in professional and technical fields only work for 35 or so years but need to fund 80 years of life (age 20 to 100). Starting work earlier in life and finishing it later are two ways to make the task easier.

And if you're going to be doing something for that long, you'd better enjoy it, at least a little.

you are right . they only find out your value after you left .

now they pay me hundreds of dollars a day when i come in and teach motor controls and variable frequency drives 2 days a month .

they asked if i could step it up to once a week if we are not traveling so i said sure . so once we get back from nashville next week i will give them one day a week . .

i love teaching , i have no more stress and problems like when i was a sales engineer working on commission where basically you eat what you grow . i could easily do this forever i enjoy it so much .

i get to interface with others besides my wife 24/7 and it keeps me thinking and it also provides a level of satisfaction as i get them smarter and able to run with the ball and be worth more themselves .

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-11-2016 at 04:39 AM..

Old 09-11-2016, 04:13 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
"Don't worry, be happy." "Money ain't everything". "Things will be better tomorrow." "Cheer up, things could be worse." "Who needs money, we have our health." "If you had only invested in ______." "Things will work out." Blah, blah, blah, blah.......
money may not buy happiness but it does buy three very important things in my life , it buy's CHOICES in life , BETTER CAMERA GEAR AND A BETTER DRUM SET . lol

Old 09-11-2016, 06:55 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I underlined the part of your post I want to quibble with, partly because I dislike anyone telling, well, everyone else, what they should or should not do, or feel, or believe. We're all different, and if you've found something that works for you, who am I to say that you should have taken a different path, or should have believed differently?

Striving to work at least part-time beyond the conventional retirement age (whatever that is) is a great goal for people who want to do this ... and nobody else.

I LOVED my job. Over the course of 34+ years and a variety of increasingly more responsible positions, the last 3 years were the very best of a good career. The duties, the responsibilities, the challenges, the opportunities to learn and to share with others what I had learned .... it was all GREAT.

I could have stayed, I could be there today, contributing, enjoying, learning, sharing. I suppose I could have asked my boss if I could switch to part-time - I suspect he would have been fine with that, although I was never attracted to part-time work.

But my goal was to retire at age 55. And I did. That was 8 years ago.

I loved working. I like retirement more. And I'm glad I set and met my own goal, rather than reading and believing an article about what my retirement goal(s) should be, and ignoring what my heart was telling me to do.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life. Choose wisely.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:23 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I underlined the part of your post I want to quibble with, partly because I dislike anyone telling, well, everyone else, what they should or should not do, or feel, or believe. We're all different, and if you've found something that works for you, who am I to say that you should have taken a different path, or should have believed differently?

Striving to work at least part-time beyond the conventional retirement age (whatever that is) is a great goal for people who want to do this ... and nobody else.

I LOVED my job. Over the course of 34+ years and a variety of increasingly more responsible positions, the last 3 years were the very best of a good career. The duties, the responsibilities, the challenges, the opportunities to learn and to share with others what I had learned .... it was all GREAT.

I could have stayed, I could be there today, contributing, enjoying, learning, sharing. I suppose I could have asked my boss if I could switch to part-time - I suspect he would have been fine with that, although I was never attracted to part-time work.

But my goal was to retire at age 55. And I did. That was 8 years ago.

I loved working. I like retirement more. And I'm glad I set and met my own goal, rather than reading and believing an article about what my retirement goal(s) should be, and ignoring what my heart was telling me to do.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life. Choose wisely.
If you were doing what made you happy and listening to your heart, then you WERE doing exactly what the point of the article was. Maybe it's just too abstract for some who think in very concrete terms, IDK, but IMO the point is going over many heads here, unless some actually haven't read it.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:27 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Working to live, or living to work! We ALL only have so many days..... rich or poor, so do what is best for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement