Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 09:39 AM

249 posts, read 267,984 times

Advertisements

Sad to see so many people focus on Branson's money to disparage him.

In an interview he gave his perspective, it is applicable to any income or net worth. Why focus on his money, then say he has more money than you, therefore you can't relate to his perspective.

His point was about happiness, fulfillment, is that a financial thing, I hope not.

Sadly, I'm seeing bitterness, this retirement forum should be about our wisdom gained from many years of living on this earth. Shouldn't we know to embrace happiness regardless of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 10:17 AM

12,064 posts, read 10,331,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarlin20 View Post
Sad to see so many people focus on Branson's money to disparage him.

In an interview he gave his perspective, it is applicable to any income or net worth. Why focus on his money, then say he has more money than you, therefore you can't relate to his perspective.

His point was about happiness, fulfillment, is that a financial thing, I hope not.

Sadly, I'm seeing bitterness, this retirement forum should be about our wisdom gained from many years of living on this earth. Shouldn't we know to embrace happiness regardless of money.
You would think that is the purpose in life - find joy and happiness. But for a lot of people that is hard.

Life is hard.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:01 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,154,178 times
Isn't he like filthy rich? Does he have a clue how a car repair could stop putting food on the table? Happiness is wonderful, but 99.99% of people in the world just have to struggle to survive.

Its like reading about rich movie stars talking about their tribulations with finding love. Gimme a break!

Old 09-11-2016, 03:05 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,549,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post

The bloody bloke doesn't know what it is like to hate your job.

Old 09-11-2016, 03:21 PM

107,255 posts, read 109,595,322 times
neither do i , i never kept a job i didn't like long enough to really hate it . as close as i came was in my early years of being an hvac tech and i got every dirty , heavy , crappy job . but action on my behalf made sure i did not stay in that job . .

Old 09-11-2016, 05:37 PM

2,783 posts, read 2,092,088 times
Hey Matt, who's VFDs do you train people on?

Old 09-11-2016, 06:10 PM

35,410 posts, read 17,297,045 times
You make some good points and overall solid post. I am going to make a few comments nevertheless. I am repping the post even with my minor quibbles. Then again I always have those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Trouble is only 1 in 4 make it to 90. Therefore it still isn't 30 years yet for the 3 out of 4 who do not make 30 years.
What are the statistics for those who make it to 60 and are healthy in terms of reaching 90? And 1 in 4 is still a lot of people, particularly those in a white collar demographic. That is important as industrial or manual workers may not physically be able to do their old job no matter how healthy they are at 60 whereas professionals (other than manual professionals such as dentists) may be able to continue working.
Quote:
Then you also need to see who has the resources to not work after 62 which is probably more than half of those 75%. Not much of a joke when at 63 you get laid off from your $14.00 an hour assembly job and you haven't got a degree in medicine or law. Not much of an opportunity to continue in the work force.
I totally agree with you. I think there needs to be a national conversation on that issue since Medicare has pushed out life spans but not increased protections from layoff. And age discrimination laws are toothless.
Quote:
So if after 30 or 40 years of working at GM assembling autos or Tupperware running a molding machine if a person isn't ready for a change then great. I will though say that I don't know anyone in those circumstances that would not want to hang up the work gloves and just relax and enjoy life.
I agree that they may long to hang up the gloves. Whether they'd want to put them back on is an open question.

Last edited by jbgusa; 09-11-2016 at 06:22 PM..

Old 09-11-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Hey Matt, who's VFDs do you train people on?
i know SIEMENS ,FUJI and YASKAWA IQ-PUMP series . not the hvac series though of siemens and yaskawa . we do not sell them , they go through their own distributors in the hvac field . we have the variable torque and constant torque industrial drive lines .

Old 09-11-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
You make some good points and overall solid post. I am going to make a few comments nevertheless.
What are the statistics for those who make it to 60 and are healthy in terms of reaching 90? And 1 in 4 is still a lot of people, particularly those in a white collar demographic. That is important as industrial or manual workers may not physically be able to do their old job no matter how healthy they are at 60 whereas professionals (other than manual professionals such as dentists) may be able to continue working.
I totally agree with you. I think there needs to be a national conversation on that issue since Medicare has pushed out life spans but not increased protections from layoff. And age discrimination laws are toothless.
I agree that they may long to hang up the gloves. Whether they'd want to put them back on is an open question.

for a healthy 65 year old couple statistically one of them will stand a bit less than a 50% chance of seeing 90

Old 09-11-2016, 06:31 PM

35,410 posts, read 17,297,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
for a healthy 65 year old couple statistically one of them will stand a bit less than a 50% chance of seeing 90
Thank you. That's why I think that voluntary retirement that young is a bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement