Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 11:29 AM

1,042 posts, read 882,556 times

Advertisements

Cruisin Susan, yes. Your last line hit me hard. I am trying to combat the pain over my precious daughter. If she were in my life, I would, as I used to, feel like I was the most blessed woman in the world. During that time, the only thing that made me really sad was my knowledge that not everyone else was able to experience the same enormous joy that continously danced through me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 11:29 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,363,852 times
wait a minute...this reply was to your first reply, and now it's not appropriate...so I took it down.

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. Now I understand the combat.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:34 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,146,774 times
My to do list is always loaded. Always another project to start.

I try to concentrate on being a good person and doing something helpful every day. We live in a world where too many people celebrate hate. I try to maintain physically and mentally.

My feelings about looks are probably a bit different than most. I grew up quite ugly and that's just honest. So I was humble and grateful. Then right around 50 I was suddenly hot. I think it happened because I went downhill more slowly than many of my peers. I didn't look used up! I enjoyed it but I didn't take it too seriously! I knew it was only skin deep.

I think joy is a state of mind. We can chose to be joyful...or not.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,359,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
The more I learn about aging, the more I'm convinced that sarcopenia (age-related muscle loss) has to be fought and fought hard.

Sarcopenia actually starts in our 30s. If you're active, you probably didn't notice it. But for sedentary people who remain inactive, it's the beginning of the end. People who are chronically inactive become frail seniors who don't have the core strength needed to keep their balance and thus suffer falls.

I'm in my 60s and I'm building muscle. I'm going to keep doing that until I kick.
I agree! I want strong muscles. I really do.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:57 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,359,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptynester1 View Post
I do not see aging as a series of losses. Each birthday is an accomplishment and gift and I brag about them. Now there are plenty CHANGES, and that is good. Who could stand to be 16 forever!! Think about that scenario. Retirement gives freedom to pursue an advocation that there was no time for early in life. Getting past certain years is so freeing. A whole new wonderful world of opportunity and time just opens up. Awesome! I think that the main asset we have is our healthy minds and the ability to love. If we hold onto them and work on them, every day we will experience gains and changes, and healthily embrace inevitable losses of family, friends, and maybe abilities. All the best.
Oh, there are losses as we age. We lose our parents, friends, other loved ones. We lose our physical prowess. Our robust good health. We fall behind technically. We become not hip.

I think not accepting that old age encompasses loss is not a realistic way of looking at this time.

We do gain from this time, however. And I wish everyone could have a long time after a work life to enjoy the liberation from others' expectations. I feel so lucky to be retired.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:05 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,624,404 times
"We become not hip." at post #25. speak for yourself! I am hip. ha! not joking!

I also have not "fallen behind technically".

Last edited by matisse12; 09-19-2016 at 04:33 PM..

Old 09-19-2016, 10:59 PM

1,210 posts, read 947,039 times
I have no idea anymore what is or isn't "hip." Guess that means I'm not. But with the internet you can easily connect with others who share the most obscure of your interests. So maybe hip isn't that important anymore. A lucky confident few can say it never was.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:50 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,624,404 times
hip means: informed, up to date, contemporary, relevant. Being modern in dress, attitude, and interests. From "hepi," meaning "well-informed" from the West African language of Wolof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement