Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 11:34 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,162,257 times

Advertisements

I live in my dream retirement house in Bar Harbor, Maine. We are gradually doing the renovations that we would like, but the location and the house is exactly what we want for the remainder of our lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 01:58 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,911,986 times
We sit in the boat or the hot tub and plan our dream home CONSTANTLY. We have our lot already, in SW Florida. It's on a canal, so we can have the boat on the lift ready to drop and go.
I'm surprised at how everyone lists such HUGE homes as their dream home! Who's going to clean THAT??? Our's is going to be small. Great room/kitchen combination. Behind the kitchen, pool bath, behind that master suite. Walk through closets with the washer and dryer in one of them, then into the master bath with walk in shower.
Second bedroom in front of the great room/behind the garage. It will be a theater room as well. It's door to the great room will be a barn door. The kind that slide sideways on a track.
Master bedroom and main living room both have huge sliders out to the lanai with it's outdoor kitchen, outdoor shower, sitting area and dining area. Oval shaped pool with a little bump on one side that's only a few inches deep where we can sit our beach chairs and side table for our drinks. There's a hole for the umbrella. In the opposite corner of the pool is a small waterfall. Also inside the lanai area is a small hot tub.
Down to the dock! The boat will be situated at an angle on the right side for maximum viewing of the long canal view to the left. There will be a sitting area on the dock as well.
Hey, we can dream, right!?? Only 554 days 'til retirement.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:05 PM

496 posts, read 414,909 times
My dream house would be:

Located in Arizona or New Mexico in a small to mid sized city

2 bedroom, 2 bath. 1000 sq. ft.

Adobe with saltillo tiles, kiva or beehive fireplace , vigas .

Backyard: outdoor kitchen, covered patio, 10 to 12 ft wide, length of the house. Comfortable seating, outdoor TV, dining table for 12, firepit, I am sure the mister would like a pool. Oh, patio heaters and misters. Ceiling fans. I plan to spend a great deal of time out here.

The reality will probably be a either a two bedroom condo with fenced patio or 2 bedroom mobile home with fenced patio. Still in the southwest, so it works for me.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:21 PM

501 posts, read 577,285 times
My 1700 sq ft townhouse with a downstairs master is great. However, I truly could live in a tent. I have been camping for 60 years and am more comfortable out in the woods than in any house. This is the 9th house....from Florida to California and some in between. There really is no perfect house....only good activities and good friends. I am just not a house person but I could tell you about some great tents.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:25 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,588,219 times
I want the elusive ranch style townhouse with garage. Finding one of them is like finding Bigfoot.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,885 posts, read 58,541,065 times
My dream house:
  • Will be self cleaning
  • Must have an excellent view
  • No nearby neighbors with yapping dogs
  • Yr Round garden
  • QUIET (federally protected area, no new homes / businesses / traffic allowed)
  • Multiple living spaces (for future caregiver)
  • In the country; but 5 min to groceries, 20 Min to colleges, services, & Airport
  • a few 6,000 sf shops / barns
  • wood heat + a 'resident Wood-chopper' (besides ME)

That list sounds a lot like my home (except for the 'self-cleaning' part...)

HS internet would be nice, but maybe we (USA) will get some NZ type technology and ALL of the USA will someday have connectivity!

Old 09-20-2016, 03:44 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,496,071 times
In a city, close to a club where punk and new wave from 50 years prior is mixed with Alt stuff from 1990 - 20XX. Single story detached but not more than 1400 SF, barrier free and set up perfectly to age in place. Walkable to transit and other amenities. Close to medical care.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:15 PM

110 posts, read 155,288 times
I like several Robson and Del Webb models I've seen in the 1600-2000 sq. ft. range and all the amenities that come with it. 6 months in Arizona and 6 months in Minnesota would be ideal.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:15 PM

37,671 posts, read 61,767,294 times
Rural, yet within 30-minutes of airport, hospitals, universities, shopping.

In a location that sees all four seasons, no more than a foot of snow at a time.

Low COL, low taxes.

Somewhere that my small pension brings us in close [if not above] the average household income level.

Lush forest all around. Near daily sightings of eagle. Commonly seen are moose, bear, deer, wild turkey and fox.

River frontage close enough on my land to walk to fish, swim, or boat.

A big garden to include hanging planters of snow peas to cascade down along both sides of our walkway. A few fig trees, a few lemon trees. A small fruit and nut orchard. A few grape wines, a blueberry patch.

A large house with high ceilings and lots of huge windows [after 20 years living underwater, I like high ceilings and windows] views from inside of forest, river and wildlife.

A sunken living room with an open-hearth firepit in the middle and couches circling it.

A jacuzzi.

A wrap-round porch so I can walk outside without ever having to walk through snow or rain.

Off-grid with solar panels and battery-bank so we can be fine on our own power, but still have a grid connection so I can shift back on rainy days if the batteries run low.

We have been here 10 years. It has been a long steady journey to get this home to this standard. We are nearly finished. This year we will be adding Solar-Thermal to heat our home and ideally reduce our heating fuel consumption to less than $300/year. Otherwise this describes what we have built here in our retirement home.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:26 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,236,733 times
I'm living in my dream home! When I was 50 I bought a classic historic farmhouse in the Blue Ridge Mountains as my dream vacay home....it my primary residence for over a decade...its like living in a b&b....I love it! Im on a beautiful winding river in the mountains ....its always been my dream to live in the country....I grew up in NYC. I have 2 horses a barn beautiful pasture and 4 rescue dogs!!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement