Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 03:11 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times

Advertisements

To me, retirement equals freedom. The first time in my life I get to decide what I want to do and live where I want. What's not to love about that? And I daydreamed about retirement for decades and it helped keep me motivated to keep on slogging away at work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 03:20 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
To me, retirement equals freedom. The first time in my life I get to decide what I want to do and live where I want. What's not to love about that? And I daydreamed about retirement for decades and it helped keep me motivated to keep on slogging away at work!
That has been my attitude all along

I stayed in a horrible career field because they offer a pension.

It kept me motivated.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:11 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
That has been my attitude all along

I stayed in a horrible career field because they offer a pension.

It kept me motivated.
Me three. Even though I had to retire sooner than I had planned, I love being retired for these reasons.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:29 PM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
55% of Americans surveyed consider retiring their most important milestone in life, eight times more desired than becoming a millionare:
Yes, because at some time in your life you reach a point where you've worked 40-50 years and are done with it, not to mention many people can't do the physical work that they did anymore when they were in their 20s-40s. I don't know why anyone would be surprised by that survey. Not everyone has a desk job.

Last edited by volosong; 10-17-2016 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: fixed ending quote hypertag

Old 10-17-2016, 06:47 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,914,319 times
No dichotomy is necessary - one can be happy while working full time and also happy to be retired. (Not original with me here in the Retirement Forum - it might be poster Biscuit Mom I am plagiarizing.)

Old 10-17-2016, 07:04 PM

28 posts, read 26,914 times
Quote:
I daydream about retirement, yet I have eight years to go. It feels so far away. I am 58 and single, and do not plan to quit working until FRA. Everyone tells me that the time will pass quickly. I'm active when not working. I travel a little and spend time with my grandkids. I don't hate my job, but I don't love it either. Actually, I'm bored with the job, but it's a big part of the retirement plan. There are so many things that I want to do and will finally have the time to do that I can't imagine being bored in retirement. Work is my motivator too.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:57 PM

30,388 posts, read 19,184,321 times
As for me, yes I totally want to retire pretty badly. I 'retired' pre-60 for 4 months but I was called and offered a consultant position in the Middle East for awhile which I have accepted and working now in Kuwait for the last 5+ months. I really enjoyed the 4 months 'retirement' but I did miss a little of the purpose and camaraderie on a job (not to mention the income)....but I still want to retire again for good (I think). Looking forward to the end of this contract so I can do things on my own time and freedom.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:26 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,572,361 times
''Retirement'' for me is spending my time doing what I want to be doing and on nobody's set schedule and nobody's agenda but my own.
I think I have found that sweet balance after years of lay-offs and under-employment. I think I am almost there and I am so excited. I am working 2 contract gigs in my profession that allow me to set my own weekly availabilty and schedule my own appointments per week. Or not! On top of that I will apply for early SS next month and start drawing that in the spring. During the Great Recession I learned to live frugally so I will have enough money coming in to feel secure and be able to do some things that I want to do like travel. But mostly retirement brings freedom and time to spend my last years the way I want on my own terms. I may keep working, or cut back, or totally let the gigs go, but whatever happens I will live on my terms. No more employers or alarm clocks or work attire!

Last edited by HappyDogToday; 10-17-2016 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-17-2016, 08:45 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
FeelinLow, yes, no employers, no alarm clocks, no work attire, living on your own terms, no schedule, one's own agenda.......it's a wonderful thing!!

Old 10-17-2016, 09:21 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,034 times
The idea that just Americans wanna retire is nonsense. For most of the rest of the world, work weeks are shorter, there are way more days off, and workers retire with better benefits and at a younger age.

Maybe some Americans just want to try to catch up with some of the rest of the first and second world countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement