Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 11:08 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Aaaannnnndddd, once again it becomes about your, I emphasize your, choices over the last 30 years leavened with blaming the government for having rules controlling properties from becoming slums.
It gets really old, doesn't it? He's a basket case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 11:09 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
you can't afford a $200 phone. You truly believe you could afford a house, of any size?
lol.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:11 AM

106,591 posts, read 108,739,314 times
yeah ,that is comical . he can afford that house but moving to a better area , or getting a phone is unaffordable .

but heck ,never let the facts get in the way of his story's blaming everyone else .

Old 10-18-2016, 06:52 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times
Quote:
What property rights? You mean the right to turn your property into a slum filled with campers dumping their **** into the storm sewers? That right?

I can't believe you spent time on a Zoning board and don't understand the very basics of planning, density, infrastructure load and Floor Area Ratio.

And once again, your situation is your fault, no one else's. Not mine, not your parents', not John Addams's, not George Washington's. Yours and yours alone.

You're not the first or only person to graduate, GRADUATE, from college and not get accepted, or not go, to law/med/whatever post-grad school. The difference is that 99.999999999999999999999% of them adapted, adjusted and moved on.

How about the right to buy/sell property that is legal to rent?

I wasn't on any zoning board, just a neighborhood association board full of SFR homes, many of which were rentals. The zoning issues we faced overwhelmingly involved SFR rentals and variances - FAR came up exactly once, as I recall.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Why I'm not surprised by this. I like being my own boss and that's retirement.

If I were my own boss I wouldn't want to retire. Why retire when you love what you are doing and the terms under which you are doing it? That's the sort of laziness I don't understand.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
I'm really busier now than when I was working. The difference is that now I'm doing what I want to do when I want to and don't have to jam everything around work.

Case in point:
I'm painting the house right now and will go out in a bit to finish some trim. It's Monday. If I was working I would have had to finish it yesterday even though my knees and ankles were bothering me from being on a ladder too long. It would have had to be completed yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofEdoggWr-s

Old 10-18-2016, 07:01 AM

106,591 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
If I were my own boss I wouldn't want to retire. Why retire when you love what you are doing and the terms under which you are doing it? That's the sort of laziness I don't understand.
yeah i am sure our sceptic guy loves his job and never wants to retire and sell the business . where do you get this stuff from ? i don't have a single friend who is a business owner who can't wait to retire and stop working their business or dealing with the aggravation and stress . .

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-18-2016 at 07:18 AM..

Old 10-18-2016, 07:11 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Folks retiring prior to age 65 who currently beleieve they will have employer provided health care ountil Medicare need to be careful. If and when the ACA Cadillac tax kicks in you could see many employers changing that benefit. That could be a big ouch if under 65 and retired and U are counting on it

Old 10-18-2016, 08:26 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:

How about the right to buy/sell property that is legal to rent?

That owner did have the right to sell that rental property. He just couldn't sell the two houses on one lot separately and create two non-conforming lots, which he maybe should have thought of when he got the variance for the mother-in-law unit. And that's pretty standard or, once again, you'd have people subdividing small lots and creating density, green space, parking/traffic, public utility issues.

An ANC wouldn't necessarily deal with FAR but zoning would at site plan review.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:21 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,752,657 times
Quote:
I think you misread my statement. Retirement means you are boss to your own schedule, not own boss as in working for yourself. I get to be lazy too, nothing wrong with that. I've earned it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement