Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 01:15 PM

1,042 posts, read 874,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
why the need for an autistic attorney ?

would being autistic make one a better lawyer ?
I assume this was meant as a sarcastic comment[ saracastic, as you most likely know comes from a derivative greek word meaning "Tearing of flesh."] and to cause pain. I instead will use it as an opportunity to teach about being Autistic.So, continue to "bring it on." I enjoy bringing good from bad intentions.

So, in answer to your question, "Would being AUtistic make one a better lawyer?" Probably, in most cases, no.Particularly in a courtroom. We tend to lack in charisma, quick wit, expression reading, and most non-autistic people seem to have this peculiar need to look into other peoples eyes[ for me, not only does it feel painful, but when I look into others eyes I feel that I am being intrusive]

Now a plus side to an Autistic lawyer, we tend to be detailed oriented, and notice little things others might not. Of course, because most of us do have executive dysfunction, we would need an incredible assistant for that.

And, in some cases, I imagine that an Autistic could be a courtroom lawyer. I am thinking specifically of the Autistic actor Dan Akroyd. He does not simply follow a script but is capable improvising what his character would say. Probably some lawyers have the same skill.

I had actually assumed [and hoped] that you would ask me a caustic question about "Autistic Space" which I could use as an opportunity for more education.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:43 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
I only came to this thread because I was drawn to the "starting a farm" title, so I'll address that.

Both of my parents lived on family farms, had their own farm, & they talked about the drudgery involved; that they had to leave the farm to support themselves, & once all the family left the farm, they never went back. I recently visited the site of their farms, first time since I was a kid. All the family farms are gone now, it's all big agri-business, & the little communities are economically depressed & depressing. Looking at the place, it was hard to wrap my head around the amount of physical work that had to be put into these places, & maybe your crops & livestock would survive & maybe not.

I don't know what part of the country you're in, but I would start small with maybe a couple of acres & see what vegetables you can grow, maybe an orchard, some chickens or turkeys, maybe goats. It's a LOT of work, you never get a break.

You mentioned New Mexico...do you know what the growing season is there? What is the soil like?
good question about the growing seasons in New Mexico. I remember a lot of dairy farms along I-10.

And the soil too - probably need a lot of additives to it.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:04 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
First, people don't buy farms...farms are made by people. The people come first, and without them, there would be no farms.
Wrong. Good working farms and ranches, are bought, sold and exchanged every day. As someone that was an investment Realtor from 1972 till I finally retired, and has bought, sold and exchanged numerous farms and ranches for clients, I can speak as someone that knows farms are bought by people, and many large ones are bought by corporations, which may own many thousands of acres of farms and ranches.

Quote:
Third, there is a difference between a farm and a homestead. A farm is a business engaged in making a profit, whereas a homestead (technically, what I have), is not. But I do make money at it. A homestead is basically a place in the country with gardens and some animals.
What you have, is not a homestead but what is known in the business as a Hobby Farm. A homestead is a legal term used to protect a home and up to a few limited number of acres from creditors. Two different things entirely. One can file a homestead exemption on a hobby farm however, but it does not make the hobby farm a homestead.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:06 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,246,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
Retirement has had so many twists and turns. We recently became friends with a homeless man. We did NOT bring him into our home to live and he is not a heroin. We knew he was sick, homeless, and that both his wife and child had died of natural causes in the past year. We knew he was a little crazy, but that was understandable [he also has mesothelioma and a TBI] He was always talking about how rich he is and we thought he was just a little [lot] confused. He kept saying that he wanted to find a real farm near where we are now but without the high crime rate. We really appreciated the thought but like I said, I thought he was just "confused" from the TBI.

He asked Bobby and I if we would help him to get some i.d. because he can not fly,take a train or even a bus without I.D. I could not believe what a job that was.

Anyway, now that he has I,D and was able to open a bank account, he was wired a huge ammount of money. He wants to buy this house on a farm and have Bobby and I take care of it, start a farm, maybe even horses, and bring in a few Autistic people.He said he wants to be part of starting the autistic community. We would pay for all food and utilities and maintainence and take care of him, and if he dies before us, leave us the house.

The last thing that i would ever do is take advantage of a vulnerable person, so we said, no, just move in with us [as a roommate, not a homeless drug addict] and pay a couple hundred dollars a month rent.

Anyway, he had me talk to his lawyers para-legal who he has been working with for 6 years [ he received his money from a lawsuit concerning his TBI, and he has been receiving it over a period of years and will conttinue to. The para-legal said that she has worried about michael for so many years and that what Michael has offerred is an answer to prayer, and it kindof is to us as well.

So, what do you all think? I have a problem with trusting when I shouldn't and I also never want to take advantage of anyone. I do not know what to do.

Maybe start small, with a fake farm, and see how that goes first?

SS

Old 10-28-2016, 03:37 PM

The community where we will be living in is Colorado. Ocate Cliffs, a place being built by Autistics to be run as a retreat by Autistics Is in New Mexico. We will still need additives. Plus, I should have millions of little worm friends living downstairs whose castings will make some great worm tea.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:27 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
The main issue most of us are trying to address is not whether or not to start a farm, but whether or not to do ANYTHING with this particular person without investigation. Have you done a CORI check yet and ascertained if the name he gave you is his real identity? Have you traced where he came from, gotten references from his "bank"? Have you asked him for any? The real issue is getting muddled with all this talk about farms. JMO, trying to be helpful.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:48 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
The main issue most of us are trying to address is not whether or not to start a farm, but whether or not to do ANYTHING with this particular person without investigation. Have you done a CORI check yet and ascertained if the name he gave you is his real identity? Have you traced where he came from, gotten references from his "bank"? Have you asked him for any? The real issue is getting muddled with all this talk about farms. JMO, trying to be helpful.

I agree. The question of this individual's trustworthiness should be answered before you get ahead of yourself with planning. For example, that legal assistant could have been a fraud. Be sure to verify, verify and verify all "facts" presented by this person.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:55 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
I think this is a very bad idea.Dont do it.

Old 10-28-2016, 05:31 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Wrong. Good working farms and ranches, are bought, sold and exchanged every day. As someone that was an investment Realtor from 1972 till I finally retired, and has bought, sold and exchanged numerous farms and ranches for clients, I can speak as someone that knows farms are bought by people, and many large ones are bought by corporations, which may own many thousands of acres of farms and ranches.

What you have, is not a homestead but what is known in the business as a Hobby Farm. A homestead is a legal term used to protect a home and up to a few limited number of acres from creditors. Two different things entirely. One can file a homestead exemption on a hobby farm however, but it does not make the hobby farm a homestead.

bingo !

Old 10-28-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
bingo !
What does this have to do with anything? You seem so obsessed with causing pain that you twist everything and look for something, nearly totaly apart from the subject so that you can scream "Bingo" What is wrong with you? I feel so sorry for any wife or kids you might have. Autistic people would never stoop so low as you have
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement