Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 04:34 PM

249 posts, read 267,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Common with locations as well. People complain about how unaffordable their area is or how no jobs, but cannot fathom taking the step of moving somewhere else. Sure they have reasons (kids are in school, other family nearby, can't stand colder weather, etc.) but bottom line it is a choice that has consequences, they are choosing the trade off for financial disadvantage. Millions of men and women serve in our armed forces, picking up and moving their families as dictated by DoD at the expense of things like uprooting the kids or being in weather you don't like, so I'm often fairly skeptical of the "can't move" excuse. Sorry off topic rant.
I've often said this also, Isn't this the history of our country, people move to where the jobs are.
Same today don't want to move, okay just don't complain about lack of money or jobs.

Move to where the jobs are, get a job, keep moving if necessary, no whining allowed, there shouldn't be time for whining if you are pursuing your career keep working til it works. Be thankful for the job, if you hate it, keep looking while you work at the one you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 05:07 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,411,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Most people honestly don't have the initiative or wherewithal in them to make a major life change, whether that's an obese person losing weight, an addict getting clean, or making a major cross-country move.
There are no longer very many sweet spots with an ample supply of middle income or better jobs and a reasonable COL.

Given that trade off I am not surprised that we have a growing underclass.

This was not always the case.

As recently as the 1990s things were way less unbalanced.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:02 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,874,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
From what I know from the inside...the hospital and docs are now scared Sh@@tless that their cut is going down the tubes so the docs work on commission even if they sold their souls to the hospitals. Employees of the big hospitals or not.
Great point. At the end of the day, bringing down the cost of medical care means some providers are going to have a smaller paycheck, and some may have not paycheck at all.

Old 01-28-2017, 03:42 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,130,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Great point. At the end of the day, bringing down the cost of medical care means some providers are going to have a smaller paycheck, and some may have not paycheck at all.
That arguement reminds me of the "Broken window theory" or the people in the oil industry complaining of the collapse of sky high oil prices!

It may hurt them, but overall it's better for a FAR greater number of people.

Old 01-28-2017, 05:41 AM

7,189 posts, read 9,327,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Most people honestly don't have the initiative or wherewithal in them to make a major life change, whether that's an obese person losing weight, an addict getting clean, or making a major cross-country move.
That's an excellent observation. Change is hard. That's especially true if you lack self confidence.

My wife volunteers as an RN in the local homeless clinic. I hear stories every day about their clients. I really cannot imagine why a person who is not mentally ill would choose to sleep in a park instead of finding a job.

They mostly refuse to be helped. It's hard for me to understand because even as a young person, I never had a problem finding work. All it takes is initiative and the willingness to solve problems.

So I think the difference is a lack of self confidence. In life, we all face obstacles. We all experience people pushing back against whatever we want. Some people figure out how to succeed in spite of that. And some just give up.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:12 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
There are no longer very many sweet spots with an ample supply of middle income or better jobs and a reasonable COL.

Given that trade off I am not surprised that we have a growing underclass.

This was not always the case.

As recently as the 1990s things were way less unbalanced.
Most of the Midwest has a reasonable cost of living and much higher wages than the South. I am honestly surprised that people jam the coasts when there are many opportunities available in the Midwest.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:05 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i think many of us like medicare so much better because we have all been restricted so much as regular insurance went to hmo's .

One reason I like Medicare is the cost. So much cheaper than private insurance. My Advantage Plan has some added expenses this year though. They wanted me to pay $47 mo., $564 year, over what Medicare pays them. I think it has to do with prescription coverage. However, if I choose to pay for it a year at a time I only have to pay $21 mo./$252 year, so I did. I don't 'get it' but it's okay by me.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:07 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Very true but someone can invest in an IRA if that is the case. you do not need an employer participation program to invest in an IRA. You can go to our bank or financial advisor to set one up.

Just wondering? 8 jobs in 15 years? I am asking because of movement within my industry. It seems that some Facility directors took the tact that they should move around every year or two. Others kept with a 3 to 5 year time frame of moving up. I stayed where I was and although I have done well it seems to have kept me from moving further up.

Has moving around helped you to move up?
I work in tech, that is normal. 18-24 month tenure is typical these days. But earlier in my career there was a lot of local turmoil and a shaky job market. I had a lot of quick jobs. And then in the past couple years as well.

Definitely advanced over the years and have had pay increases. I staying in one job way too long and it did mess me up in terms of income. I was behind for a while. All caught up now, and at the top end of pay for my role. So I need to figure out a next move. But I have an objective for my current employer to hit before I'd leave.

I do have an IRA, but I had lots of years without pre-tax retirement savings. That's what sucks.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:45 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Why is no one talking about the future crisis of poor retirees?
The current focus in the media is more about raising Minimum Wage up well above pensions and SS benefits.

As retirees we are better served by looking out for ourselves.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:31 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I work in tech, that is normal. 18-24 month tenure is typical these days. But earlier in my career there was a lot of local turmoil and a shaky job market. I had a lot of quick jobs. And then in the past couple years as well.

Definitely advanced over the years and have had pay increases. I staying in one job way too long and it did mess me up in terms of income. I was behind for a while. All caught up now, and at the top end of pay for my role. So I need to figure out a next move. But I have an objective for my current employer to hit before I'd leave.

I do have an IRA, but I had lots of years without pre-tax retirement savings. That's what sucks.
Same situation I was in but that didn't stop me from savings either. Sometimes, after tax saving is more effective too. For IRA, when you get to 70.5 you have to take RMDs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement