Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2017, 07:35 AM

11,138 posts, read 9,773,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
He may very well be right about teacher in prestigious New England communities, but government employment is often the most highly sought after and best employment in communities where the private sector is depressed.

Where I am, the minimum salary for any K-12 teacher wet behind the ears coming out of college in $41,000 annually. I have a good friend who was making $34k as a software developer with an MS in CS and three years experience in 2013. I was making $21k on the help desk with a bachelor's in economics and around six IT certifications at the time.

Even in poor areas like here in Tennessee, public sector jobs have minimum salary floors. Private sector jobs go as low as the market will bear.

I'm honestly surprised how short shrift this type of situation gets and the lack of understanding on this board, but given the fact that most people here are from prestigious areas and affluent, I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the general lack of understanding of the life that poor people like me in the middle of nowhere live.
Then why not go where the jobs are? Knoxville/Oak Ridge is not far and there are jobs here. There are jobs in Nashville. I know you just moved back to Tennessee, but you moved to an area without a lot of economic advantages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 09:14 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Even adjusted for inflation over the past 30 years, my nephews and nieces are making roughly TWICE what my wife and I were making in 1982 after we graduated from university.

And every one of those nephews and nieces came from parents who did NOT have a 4-year college education and graduated with under $10k in college debt. Of course, they worked and their parents saved up money in advance.
That is the reality of people in their 20's and early 30's arguing about how good Boomers have it and their generation doesn't. We have kids their age and know their misery is often just that theirs and not everyone their age.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:42 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,876,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
...I am a borderline GenX/Millennial and actually am not one of the people I described. I own a home, save a lot, and have a good job. But many of the generation of kids after me are in terrible shape.
First, congratulations. From a financial perspective, it seems you're on the right path.

You are right that lots of Millennials are in bad shape. The effects of the Great Recession are manifest: delays in entering the workforce, delays in household formation, delays in having children, delays in saving for retirement, etc.

Second, if indeed it turns out you are right and that by their 60s most of your age-group peers do not have the financial resources to retire, you may discover they will vote themselves increased governmental benefits.

"For lots of reasons -- the Great Recession, lifestyle choices, poor financial management, lower-than-average investment returns, etc -- we have not accumulated financial security for retirement. So, The Government needs to take care of us. Uncle Sam must increase transfer payments from Those Who Have to Those Of Us Who Do Not."

Old 01-07-2017, 09:48 AM

35,089 posts, read 31,339,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Then why not go where the jobs are? Knoxville/Oak Ridge is not far and there are jobs here. There are jobs in Nashville. I know you just moved back to Tennessee, but you moved to an area without a lot of economic advantages.
I am one of the few people i know around here with a pretty decent job. If something does happens to my current job, I'd probably be back to $15/hr and would be having to drive to Knoxville to get something decent.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:50 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times
Quote:
I am one of the few people i know around here with a pretty decent job. If something does happens to my current job, I'd probably be back to $15/hr and would be having to drive to Knoxville to get something decent.
What brought you to where you now live?

Old 01-07-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
To assume that everyone will have a picture perfect career trajectory if they only *put in the effort* is naive.
I don't think anyone assumes that. Still, at the end of the day, each of us are individually responsible for our own career choices and mistakes.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
But at the same time, you have guidance counselors and academics pushing the "follow your heart" mantra.
Not just guidance counselors and academics. Read Steve Jobs' commencement speech at Stanford. Text of Steve Jobs' Commencement address (2005)

Old 01-07-2017, 10:58 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,908,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
First, congratulations. From a financial perspective, it seems you're on the right path.

You are right that lots of Millennials are in bad shape. The effects of the Great Recession are manifest: delays in entering the workforce, delays in household formation, delays in having children, delays in saving for retirement, etc.

Second, if indeed it turns out you are right and that by their 60s most of your age-group peers do not have the financial resources to retire, you may discover they will vote themselves increased governmental benefits.

"For lots of reasons -- the Great Recession, lifestyle choices, poor financial management, lower-than-average investment returns, etc -- we have not accumulated financial security for retirement. So, The Government needs to take care of us. Uncle Sam must increase transfer payments from Those Who Have to Those Of Us Who Do Not."
How do we vote for increased governmental benefits? I'm sure the people in congress will have the resources to retire and really that is all they care about.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:59 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,147,573 times
OP, I have been thinking a lot about this exact same topic after reading the Wall Street Journal article the other day that you referenced. The conventional wisdom of retirement savings (start early and with historic returns you too will retire a millionaire!) has changed due to years of very low interest rates. I also am astonished that no one is realizing the catastrophe that will come when these generations retire with no pensions, low or non-existent 401k's, and uncertainty with Medicare and Social Security. I love how Boomers and Silents will tear down the younger generations, saying things like "we worked hard and saved and didn't need Ipads and Cell Phones!" like those are relevant considering the exponential rise in cost of housing, education and healthcare that they never had. The poster who mentioned mailman and teacher retiring filthy rich was not far off. I know of retired couples who had those jobs and now collect massive defined benefit pensions FOR LIFE, pensions that have no risk like those of a 401k. Aunt and uncle were both teachers in Southern California. Back in the 1970's they bought a modest house for $65k. They recently retired and between the two of them collect $165k a year in pensions (this is listed on a public website) for life. They both have Medicare and a cadillac supplemental that gives them the best healthcare. Oh, and that $55k house is now $750k. There is no way a couple starting out now could replicate their life by getting a similar education and job and by just "working hard". Retirees now think they are well off because of their own efforts but they don't realize the benefits they had growing up and raising their families in the times they did.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:01 AM

4,347 posts, read 4,725,025 times
Quote:
mailman and teacher retiring filthy rich
I guess my retired mailman dad didn't get the memo about retiring filthy rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement