Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2017, 12:43 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
huh????????????????

what does that have to do with them living in retirement financially on the dollars they have ? zero , that is what, which is what my statement refers to .

you have folks all over the country getting by on just their tiny ss checks and whatever assistance they can get when they have to and they get through retirement one way or another.

i have no clue how people dying alone got in this . i don't see anyone discussing people dying alone here . do you just type things to argue ?
That is not what I am talking about. Some people can manage on their tiny ss checks and they are lucky to get some sort of assistance from either family or some sort of government or charity assistance. I agree that not everyone is entitled to luxury no matter how they started out in life. But sometimes, there are bumps in the road. Random events. If you have a support network, then you can deal. But if you become ill and have no resources in people assistance or financially, that is what happens. You die alone, which in many cases could be avoided if you have any of the above resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 12:44 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,409,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
Yes, but the expenditure is low. I've never understood why the fiscal warriors throw modern smartphones into the same basket with luxury cars and homes, when they decide to attack people for lack of budgeting.

Obviously, many don't remember the pre-deregulation era of the Ma Bell monopoly. Inflation adjusted, those old landline phones and their one size fits all service plans were far more expensive than any wireless plan today. And I'm not even including the exorbitant long distance fees. Yet, having a phone was seen as a necessity for most folks, and not a subject of criticism by financial busy bodies like it is today.
The typical "I'm leasing the HW from Verizon / AT&T / etc" and way too much for real needs data plan are just dumb. Things like Virgin and Tracphone, not to mention, buying an older smartphone unlocked and doing a pay as you go plan with a budget carrier, are just so much better of a deal. Doing it the way the masses do it is a complete rip off.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
how about sticking to the topic and the facts .
The topic is why is no one talking about the future crisis of poor retirees? This is what we are talking about. The fate of poor retirees. This is what Iam talking about. Acting caring and compassionate for retirees who are poor. Not, don't worry about them because somehow they will manage. They always do. No, they don't.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:49 PM

106,704 posts, read 108,880,922 times
it is like dieting . very few people medically are obese because of something wrong .

many who failed financially committed their own financial suicide whether they want to admit it to themselves or not .

they have a long history of bad choices and poor decisions through out life . then when an event strikes they blame the event when it really was not the event but the trail of poor choices and bad decisions leading up to the event that they believe did them in .

yeah , there are some true casualty's out there who were victims of truly un-foreseen events but the numbers are likely a whole lot smaller because most folks see themselves as those hapless victims when they are in that position but they are not , they really are the financial suicider's ..

but like i said , they will end up making do the same as everyone else does . me thinking about it does nothing for them .

in fact if most folks spent more time worrying about their own situations and making it better and less about how awful everyone else is supposedly doing , whether they are or not , the better it would be for them .

the media loves the doom and gloom stuff . people love reading how bad everyone else is supposedly doing so they feel better about their own short fall .

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-19-2017 at 01:16 PM..

Old 01-19-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
it is like dieting . very few people medically are obese because of something wrong .

many who failed financially committed their own financial suicide whether they want to admit it to themselves or not .

they have a long history of bad choices and poor decisions through out life . then when an event strikes they blame the event when it really was not the event but the trail of poor choices and bad decisions leading up to the event that they believe did them in .

yeah , there are some true casualty's out there who were victims of truly un-foreseen events but the numbers are likely a whole lot smaller because most of those folks see themselves as those hapless victims when they are in that position
Hopefully, you are correct. That is the minority of retirees. They still deserve some kindness.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:56 PM

88,592 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
The name of the game is to make your money in a big city and perhaps retire to a lower COL area. However, I could not imagine spending most of my life living in a big city with a lot to do, only to retire to a boring rural or small town.
That's something I think about. I worked in a big city (NYC) although I didn't live there--I commuted from across the creek in suburban NJ. A few years before retirement, I moved from the getting-crowded part of NJ I'd always lived in to a somewhat-less-crowded area that came with a bonus I didn't have before--the Atlantic Ocean 15 minutes away.

It's a great area, even though it's still NJ with its population density, and it gets very crowded/trafficky in the summer. But there are always music events going on, art shows, I belong to a writers group, there are theaters, lots of stuff to do. Even when I go to get my haircut, the salon is displaying a local artist's work, as is the specialty cheese shop. It's just a thing around here.

I am retired but working part-time to do some financial catch-up. I stay in my state because my mother is still living and I don't want to go to far from her because I am the sibling that will have to step up should she start to need help (she is 88 and lives in her own home with two of my brothers). The NY pension is taxed in NJ, where it wouldn't be in NY or some other states. The taxes in NJ are unbelievable. It will make sense for me someday to pack up and move out of NJ. But I am not sure how I would do someplace where I don't know anyone and nothing is going on.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:06 PM

106,704 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Hopefully, you are correct. That is the minority of retirees. They still deserve some kindness.
perfect example are my buddy's i keep in touch with from my nyc housing project days .

i begged them to go with me when i went to apex technical school back in the 1970's . raising my own family in the projects was never going to be an option for me so i needed to find a career .

well they preferred hanging out instead . today they all work low end jobs , are raising their own family's in the projects and complain about their poor stressful lives .

just a long history of bad decisions and poor choices .

there is almost none of us who don't go through one of the big three , job loss-illness-divorce , but how we come out and go on is as varied as snow flakes .

just what is us talking about poor retirees supposed to accomplish ? sure we can feel sorry for them but then what .

it reminds me of all our resident doom and gloomer's in the economic forum . they spend their time digging up every crappy article that highlights how bad we are doing , they high five each other and support each others views .

instead , they should be in other forums learning how to play the cards they are dealt to better themselves and make lemonade out of the lemons.

then they fail financially and blame everyone and everything around them .

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-19-2017 at 01:22 PM..

Old 01-19-2017, 01:28 PM

^Bien Sur, M.Sartre

Old 01-19-2017, 01:47 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Quote:

in fact if most folks spent more time worrying about their own situations and making it better and less about how awful everyone else is supposedly doing , whether they are or not , the better it would be for them .

the media loves the doom and gloom stuff . people love reading how bad everyone else is supposedly doing so they feel better about their own short fall .

Agree completely.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:59 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
That is not what I am talking about. Some people can manage on their tiny ss checks and they are lucky to get some sort of assistance from either family or some sort of government or charity assistance. I agree that not everyone is entitled to luxury no matter how they started out in life. But sometimes, there are bumps in the road. Random events. If you have a support network, then you can deal. But if you become ill and have no resources in people assistance or financially, that is what happens. You die alone, which in many cases could be avoided if you have any of the above resources.
I would suggest joining some sort of church or religious organization. But even in Buddhist teaching, everybody, regardless of wealth will die alone. Even Steve Jobs. Maybe this thread belongs to the philosophy forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement