Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 08:05 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
John Glenn was 77 when he made his second trip into outer space, so I think driving around in a car would be ok.
But what did he do on that trip? Wasn't he just a passenger? The queen of England is 90 something and goes everywhere, but is basically carried around like an egg in a carton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 08:41 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times
My Hero, 93 year old Fred Beckey: At 93, Climber Fred Beckey Offers a Lesson on How to Be Relentless - National Geographic Explorer

Old 01-16-2017, 09:41 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,082,385 times
Great thread! Go for it!

Old 01-16-2017, 09:57 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
We used to car-camp on public lands outside of the National Parks since accommodations can be expensive in tourist areas. We bought our Toyota Rav4 partly for that reason: we could lay the back seats down and with a foam mattress were totally comfortable. No tent set-up, etc. Put the supplies in the front seat for the night. I look back on those times with great fondness. But it does require having access to public lands which some states are lacking. And being willing to answer the call of Nature IN Nature which is tedious when one is older.

There can be reasonable motels if you get maybe half-an-hour or so away from the Park itself, in some places. As in $40 per night. But it still adds up....I'm thinking of Bryce Canyon which is a must-see. The little towns around it are affordable. But when I think of Yosemite, I doubt there is anything near that price.

Go for it, OP! I'm so glad I lived my dream in my 40's as I couldn't physically do it now. Maybe I had a premonition as even back in my 30's I said "I better do this now, before I can't..."

Do it now!

Old 01-16-2017, 10:42 AM

181 posts, read 493,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to drive all around our country and see all the places people have talked about, the National Parks, Landmarks, cities/towns. I live in central NY state and have traveled at times to reach a particular destination. But this time, it would be many destinations. Stopping overnight in one place, maybe for a week/month in others.
Sounds like a lot of fun! Go for it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Drawback is not well off financially, but don't live an expensive life and think I could make it with my budget. ... What are your opinions on the B&Bs that seem to be the hot thing this year.
B&B's are not compatible with budgets. They're expensive. Cute, but you pay for that cuteness. There are campgrounds and cheap motels which you could look up on the internet. I started looking up campgrounds at one point, but now a lot of them are comparable in price to cheap motels. I decided that even a cheap motel was more comfortable.

Good luck and have a great time!

Old 01-16-2017, 10:57 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,528 times
Default State and local parks

Often have cabins available to rent. Some are air conditioned. Most have decent shower and grilling facilities. Entrance fees are low for seniors- lifetime passes are available. Reservations need to be made in advance.I would recommend putting your sleeping bags on top of beds- makes everything easier and more hygienic. Do you have a friend who might want to travel and share expenses? That would make it much more affordable. And fun in my opinion.

I believe there are groups online and websites about budget senior travel.

We enjoy B&Bs- tend to stay in pricy ones for anniversary trips.

If you feel fit and competent to drive, I'd say go for it!!

Old 01-16-2017, 11:02 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times
As Emerson once wrote, "life is about the journey, not the destination" . Your journey will be your's uniquely, how much you can spend, how far you will go, people you will meet, things you will see, how long you will travel. I have found that "the great destinations" have been big disappointments, and the hidden treasures have been found quietly nearby.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:23 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,705 times
I figure why stay home waiting to die. If you feel up to making the trip, go and do it.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:07 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Perhaps do a regional trip first. Make it a learning experience. Figure out how far or long you're comfortable driving in one day. Try different types of accommodations. Learn what you should have packed and didn't. There's nothing like that moment when you think, "...my kingdom for a piece of duct tape!" or "I should have gotten a new battery." You don't want to be that person. If you don't have cash to throw at an emergency, try to be prepared for them.

Have you driven long distances on your own? Gotten lost or stuck somewhere? Know how to add coolant or check the oil--or anything else under the hood? Start reading check lists and watching YouTube videos.

You can do this!

Old 01-16-2017, 03:43 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
I am SO glad you started this thread. I am learning so much! I'm sure others are too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement