Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 12:11 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times

Advertisements

No but bbc is trying to block unliscensed access
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 12:18 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
"iplayer" is the BBC format by which they stream their programming to devices. It is technically geoblocked to those outside of the UK since it is a public agency that uses taxes/mandatory user fees for funding. They still haven't opened it up to the rest of the world on a fee basis, like Netflix, & so there is a demand by people who want to watch it by other means.

Apparently the BBC hasn't learned the lessons from Napster & the music business or perhaps there are complex legal issues concerning public agencies marketing tax supported materials, paying producers more for wider distribution... idk. This affects those that want to watch their entertaining & thoughtful programming, not the least the several million British expats worldwide.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:00 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,754 times
My complaint about Netflix is that I build a film library, go to watch a film, and it is no longer offered.
I love Amazon Prime and have a film library there, but no app seems to be available to view my videos on my Android phone. I can read my Kindle books on my phone. Why not be able to view my movies, etc?
Maybe I am missing something here out of ignorance, so if anyone can clue me in that would be great.
Aside from all that, I still view a few VHS movies; DVDs, and cable TV. If streaming services went away tomorrow I would not feel deprived. I have a DVD library of favorite TV shows and old movies. I have both Kindle and hard copy books comprising a little personal library. Really all I need to be content are real books, music CDs, cassettes, or vinyl records, and my DVDs.
I could go ''off the grid'' tomorrow and be more than just fine. Sometimes too many choices feels like pressure. I like to keep it simple.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:20 AM

309 posts, read 195,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
My complaint about Netflix is that I build a film library, go to watch a film, and it is no longer offered.
It's like trying to collect clouds in the sky... You just have to enjoy them before they pass.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:58 PM

1,353 posts, read 789,266 times
I used Netflix for about two weeks, and I have changeed my mind now. There is a lot of quite interesting movies there, much more, than I expected.
Is that possible to watch YouTube on Roku?

Old 10-12-2017, 06:19 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
I used Netflix for about two weeks, and I have changeed my mind now. There is a lot of quite interesting movies there, much more, than I expected.
Is that possible to watch YouTube on Roku?
Yes there is a YouTube Channel for Roku in the channel "store" that can be added to your line up.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:19 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post

I love Amazon Prime and have a film library there, but no app seems to be available to view my videos on my Android phone. Why not be able to view my movies, etc?
Maybe I am missing something here out of ignorance, so if anyone can clue me in that would be great.
Does this help?
https://www.amazon.com/b?node=9987963011

Old 10-13-2017, 04:50 AM

6,356 posts, read 7,766,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Yes there is a YouTube Channel for Roku in the channel "store" that can be added to your line up.

It usually takes a couple of days after the event before someone uploads the most recent All Blacks match to YouTube. I hook up my MacBook Air to the television, go into full screen mode, and enjoy an awesome game. The results are rarely known beforehand because only a handful of people in the country care about international rugby, (but in truth, the All Blacks win about 95% of their test matches anyway). Who needs football?

I also found an abundant library of Hallmark Channel movies on YouTube for those times I just want to watch a 'feel good' movie. With YouTube and Netflix, I haven't felt the need for cable or satellite TV for about fifteen years now . . . and I don't miss it.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 10-13-2017, 06:04 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,083,473 times
I cut my cable 2 years ago, and certainly have not missed it at all. Get the main networks and a few other "over the air". Netflix and Walter Presents keeps me busy with enough choice. Also tried Acorn and Mhz but gave up both as their new content was added too slowly, and was often not as current as I liked.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:22 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
In the system settings there is a "System" update option that forces a update to your RoKu. Takes a few minutes to run.

If that does not load the new channels, you can restart it. (Either using the System - Restart Option, or unplug it, and pluging it back in).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement