Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2017, 08:29 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times

Advertisements

Early retirement (53). Late wife who worked at the same agency did the same, a month earlier.

Chores, exercise, church weekly, reading, and sadly, garegiver for my wife for 3.5 years before she lost her battle with dementia.

No part-time job, no continuing education, no learning a musical instrument, no vacations, no travel, no volunteer work, and very little visiting and only out of obligation. A genuine "stick-in-the-mud."

Two observations: those 20 years flew by, faster than any other 20-year period in my life even with such a dull lifestyle.

And, oh yeah, if I had to do it over again, I'd do it the same way. Takes all kinds, dunnit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 08:36 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
All my working life I fretted about not enough time for my hobbies. Now retired 11 years I do work on things I like but very slow. And I find it so easy to just murder time
My best friend age 76 was a true workaholic. Shortly after retirement he really became sedentary, at least I do work on things.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:05 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
I'm the same way.

Most people I knew had constantly disappointed me and I now have no desire to mingle. A monthly visit to the grocery store and staying in touch with my daughter satisfies my need to interact.

Last edited by Fox Terrier; 02-03-2017 at 09:43 AM..

Old 02-03-2017, 10:25 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Early retirement (53). Late wife who worked at the same agency did the same, a month earlier.

Chores, exercise, church weekly, reading, and sadly, garegiver for my wife for 3.5 years before she lost her battle with dementia.

No part-time job, no continuing education, no learning a musical instrument, no vacations, no travel, no volunteer work, and very little visiting and only out of obligation. A genuine "stick-in-the-mud."

Two observations: those 20 years flew by, faster than any other 20-year period in my life even with such a dull lifestyle.

And, oh yeah, if I had to do it over again, I'd do it the same way. Takes all kinds, dunnit.
Hey CH, as long as YOU are content with your lifestyle, then there's not a thing wrong with it. I retired at 56 and spent the first couple of years caring for my late H; then later on doing for my Mom as she went through Alzheimers and then passed away. For 3 years I ran an antiques business, but then got tired of dealing with customers who were always trying to get a lower price no matter what the item was worth - it just wasn't worth the small additional income any more, nor was it fun. Now I just buy antiques for me and my house. I volunteer occasionally and recently became a Master Gardener, because it benefits my yard and the community as well. However, I don't sign up for every activity, nor am I a constant volunteer for every charitable activity going on as some of my retired neighbors and former co-workers are. I live my small, quiet life at my own pace. There's no need to be in competition with anyone else IMO.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:32 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
If I ever reach retirement I might actually be able to get more the 10% into the honey do list. As we all know that list is a type of self replicating machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement