Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 10:30 PM

3,253 posts, read 2,339,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
My mother didn't have a range hood. Growing up, I never thought anything about it, even though the kitchen windows steamed up when she was cooking something on the stove top. In hindsight, though, that is why the cupboards had a sticky film on them. When did range hoods/fans become standard?

Now I have my own kitchen that dh and I designed. I turn on my fan every time I do anything on the stove top, and I wonder how my mother stood it all those years, not having one.
I have a large house built in 2004. No range hood. I've never lived in a house that one. There is a fan under the microwave which is over the cooktop but I can count on one hand all the times I've used it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 09:08 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
I have a large house built in 2004. No range hood. I've never lived in a house that one. There is a fan under the microwave which is over the cooktop but I can count on one hand all the times I've used it.
That 'fan under the microwave' *is* your range hood.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:52 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Wish I still had that vintage orange juicer my dad used in the mornings. It took up a lot of room but did a good and quick job.

DD, who cooks for a living, has many of the old items and uses them to decorate her kitchen. Many are still functional but what I like best about them, like someone else mentioned , is that they were made to last.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:21 AM

588 posts, read 463,187 times
When I was growing up we had two sets of china never to be used but on holidays and birthdays.

When my mom died my sister got the set that mom picked out and I got the other set, Limoge, from my Uncle Dan.

10 years later I was in a little consignment shop and low and behold there was a full set of my mom's china pattern. Bought the whole thing for $37. Retail $600 bucks at Replacements.com.

I use them EVERY DAY. Could not for the life of me let a thing of beauty lanquish in splendor but never used. Kinda like me!

LOL!

Old 02-13-2017, 02:00 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Various rentals prior to our one and only (thus far) owned home, presented all sorts of things.

Being in PG&E or SCE gas land for my whole life, there was very little incentive for landlords to update stoves. Oldest one I have had was from the 20s. Same deal for furnaces. The places that actually had a central system as opposed to wall heaters were mainly gravity fed. Oldest one of those had to be from the 20s.

Fridges were all over the map, the oldest was from the 50s.

Dishwashers? You want to see dishwashers? We ain't got no stinkin' dishwashers! In fairness, I did have one newer apartment that had one.

Now, onto our owned place. Previous owner left everything besides washer and dryer behind. The only thing they updated was the furnace.

Dishwasher was a stand alone, the type you hook up to the kitchen faucet (scary!). We never dared use it. Lived without for a while then installed a new one (this was 20 years ago). We kept using the 1960s fridge and 1970s range with built in microwave. Fridge died, was a complete beaotch trying to find one that fit into the same foot print (most makers target the McMansion crowd, it seems). Still using the range.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:12 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Various rentals prior to our one and only (thus far) owned home, presented all sorts of things.

Being in PG&E or SCE gas land for my whole life, there was very little incentive for landlords to update stoves. Oldest one I have had was from the 20s. Same deal for furnaces. The places that actually had a central system as opposed to wall heaters were mainly gravity fed. Oldest one of those had to be from the 20s.

Fridges were all over the map, the oldest was from the 50s.

Dishwashers? You want to see dishwashers? We ain't got no stinkin' dishwashers! In fairness, I did have one newer apartment that had one.

Now, onto our owned place. Previous owner left everything besides washer and dryer behind. The only thing they updated was the furnace.

Dishwasher was a stand alone, the type you hook up to the kitchen faucet (scary!). We never dared use it. Lived without for a while then installed a new one (this was 20 years ago). We kept using the 1960s fridge and 1970s range with built in microwave. Fridge died, was a complete beaotch trying to find one that fit into the same foot print (most makers target the McMansion crowd, it seems). Still using the range.

Long ago I lived in a rental with the neatest kitchen stove. It had three burners, a griddle in the center AND a built in deep fryer. Below the oven was a drawer for storing pots and pans.

I had a stand alone dishwasher for a while and hardly ever used it but it worked fine when I did. Now I have a built in one and rarely ever use it either.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:33 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Long ago I lived in a rental with the neatest kitchen stove. It had three burners, a griddle in the center AND a built in deep fryer. Below the oven was a drawer for storing pots and pans.

I had a stand alone dishwasher for a while and hardly ever used it but it worked fine when I did. Now I have a built in one and rarely ever use it either.
I love stoves like that one you described. Had a couple like that along the way.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:01 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Wish I still had that vintage orange juicer my dad used in the mornings. It took up a lot of room but did a good and quick job.

DD, who cooks for a living, has many of the old items and uses them to decorate her kitchen. Many are still functional but what I like best about them, like someone else mentioned , is that they were made to last.

Juce-king.
I have one on the shelf a friend found in a thrift store for me and I use it often.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:51 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,081,103 times
My late in laws lived in a lovely Victorian home that was originally a "painted lady". Most "painted ladies" in this city were eventually painted grey because the smoke from the many surrounding factories turned those beautiful tricolored homes grey, so most of these home owners including my in laws just gave up trying to keep their homes painted vibrant colors. When my husband first took me home to meet his parents I was blown over by their kitchen which still had the original soapstone sink, fireplace, and butler's pantry. Off the kitchen was a very narrow back staircase which led to what was originally servant's quarters that became my husband and his brother's bedroom. My husband loved this home and had a big dream of taking it over one day and renovating it to it's former glory. Sadly my husband passed away prior to his mother, and following her death the home eventually was sold by his sisters and brother. But, his dream did eventually happen because the people that purchased the home did indeed renovate it to it's former glory including painting it tricolored. A few years after the home was renovated the new owners went on to sell it, and I got to see the pictures of all the renovations online via the listing agent's web site which made me very happy as I knew my late husband would have loved what was done to his beloved childhood home.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:21 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I love stoves like that one you described. Had a couple like that along the way.

Yeah, they used to make stoves that were actually useful! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement