Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 08:51 AM

25,574 posts, read 17,286,360 times

Advertisements

We have a few friends who retired at age 55(ish) without a pension.
It didn't work out. At least, not very well.

In case #1 his company paid him several hundred thousand dollars to retire early without the pension. He had no investing experience and now, 25 years later, he is out of money.

Case #2 had some investing experience but retired before the Great Recession and was forced to sell assets as they decreased in value. He is 75 now and still has some income, but no real money.

Case #3 retired early and went to live on a sailboat. He is in Panama and has discovered that age 70 he is too old to sail and there is no way back to the US because he has no assets (home, etc).

Case #4 burned out and is living on his sailboat in the Caribbean. They both have to work, now, so they are tethered to their current port. Again, there is no way back to the US and she really would like to visit her grandchildren mare than she does. But they have to stay where they are.

My conclusion is, it takes A LOT of money to retire early. It helps if the retiree has investment experience, and helps even more if they are able to retire in place.
We retired in place at age 66.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 09:13 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I won't believe it until I see it....and I hear the planning is all "top secret" in a basement with guards to ensure the details don't get leaked until it's voted on. That's what I like - blind government with the public let in on their fate when it is too late to do anything. Everyone needs to keep the pressure on to ensure quality, reasonable healthcare is available for all.
I didn't hear you complained when Pelosi said you had to pass the bill to know what's in it. Very partisan politics.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:55 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
I won't believe it until I see it....and I hear the planning is all "top secret" in a basement with guards to ensure the details don't get leaked until it's voted on. That's what I like - blind government with the public let in on their fate when it is too late to do anything. Everyone needs to keep the pressure on to ensure quality, reasonable healthcare is available for all.
Except we're never going to get reasonable health care from the political system. The problem is our whole health care system only focuses on treating people after they get sick from diseases that are largely preventable. We spend $1 Trlion a year on treating preventable chronic illnesses. Nobody's health care plan addresses this fundamental issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waGHi6aMzh8&t=46s

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 03-04-2017 at 03:12 PM..

Old 03-04-2017, 04:35 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Assume no mortgage or other debts and no spouse.
25x salary? 40x? How much does a (small) pension reduce that number? I have seen lots of things about safe w/d rates but they seem to assume you are starting at an older age.

The thing that is mostly prompting this question is an older friend (64) wants to retire and was advised he "can't". He has a pension of sorts, which I think is fairly generous. No idea what he has for debt or other assets. But heck if 64 is too young what about the rest of us?
The Ric Edelman Show

Discussed early on Ric Edelman's most recent podcast

See link for clip.

This Is How Much You Need to Save for Retirement - Edelman Financial

Old 03-04-2017, 05:05 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
If you want to eat in expensive restaurants, you can't.
If you want to go on expensive vacations, you can't.
If you want to live in a comfortable, dry warm house, you can.

It all depends on your expectations.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:23 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
I have seen lots of things about safe w/d rates but they seem to assume you are starting at an older age.
Go fiddle with firecalc or cfiresim, you can enter any age you want. You can enter any social security amount, you can enter anticipated changes in income or spending, you can enter different portfolio mixes and withdrawal methods.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:37 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I didn't hear you complained when Pelosi said you had to pass the bill to know what's in it. Very partisan politics.
I'll try not to take that personally since you have no idea if I'm a dem, pub, independent, or libertarian. I want healthcare that doesn't bankrupt people while lining the pockets of people with already way more money than they know what to do with. If the 'pubs can do that, more power to them - but I want to see it. And I could care less about Pelosi.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:52 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
2 words: health care coverage

Seriously what is the plan for coverage as you will be 10 years from Medicare?
Yep. This is my reality. I'll be 59 in May. I have no clue where health care would be coming from for 5 years. I can sell one of my two houses and live comfortably forever. I don't see how I can risk not having gold plated corporate health insurance until age 65 in today's political environment.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:33 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
I'll try not to take that personally since you have no idea if I'm a dem, pub, independent, or libertarian. I want healthcare that doesn't bankrupt people while lining the pockets of people with already way more money than they know what to do with. If the 'pubs can do that, more power to them - but I want to see it. And I could care less about Pelosi.
Err... exactly who are those people "lining their pockets with way more money than they know what to do with"?

When you actually look at the numbers, most of the money goes to labor. Do you propose to give nurses a 50% pay cut? X-Ray technicians? Phlebotomists? Nurse practitioners? The janitor? The physician who does my annual physical gets $50 from the insurance company and has to pay all the overhead. Are you going to pay him $25 instead? 21st century medicine is wildly expensive. Where I live, a day in a nonprofit hospital is $2,700. Even in a backwater cheap labor place like Mississippi with a vastly inferior level of care, it's $1,500. The medical system is sucked dry by chronic conditions. Diabetes, for example, averages almost $15K per year per patient. Cardiovascular disease is about $20K per year and spikes if you need surgery. Kidney dialysis ain't cheap. Cancer treatment is off the charts expensive.

Health care is cheap if you don't have any of those chronic things wrong with you. The older you get, the more likely it is that you're going to contract one of those expensive things so market rate health insurance needs to be priced appropriately. I'm 58. Medicare spending for parts A, B, and D is about $13,000 per person. At 58, I'm in that kind of risk pool and I live in a high cost of living place so it's locally more like $20K. At market rate, that's what my premiums should look like.

This isn't political. The US GDP is about $19 trillion. We spend 17% of it on health care. That's 3.25 trillion dollars. That's about $10,000 per person and it's mostly spent on older people. Somebody has to pay for it. Either we all pay the market rate for the amount of coverage we can afford or we take money from young-healthy people and rich people to pay for health care for the older-unhealthy people. You can't just blame some insurance company. They're not the problem.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:06 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
No, the forum expects you to monitor Pelosi's opinions on all issues and register complaints whenever she says anything that could be questionable. If you fail to do this anything you say will be labeled partisan politics and viewed as biased. Personally I have a staff of three part timers keeping track of what she says so that I can complain at appropriate times.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement