Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 11:32 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,009,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
When my mother passed, the funeral director took care of this sort of thing.
same when my wife passed away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 04:47 PM

7,528 posts, read 13,662,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
My mother died in December and SSA wanted the payment that was made in December returned to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
My mom died June 30th. They automatically retrieved her June payment from her account. It had shown up a few days after her death.
A little more research seems to show that SSA (actually the Treasury Dept) "occasionally" pulls back a payment that is actually owed, per its own words at https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10008.pdf .
"If the deceased was receiving Social Security benefits, you must return the benefit received
for the month of death or any later months. For example, if the person dies in July, you must
return the benefit paid in August."

Notice it says payment "for" the month of death, not "in" that month

It appears to have something to do with the timing of death vs pay date. The Treasury "can't" issue a check after someone dies.

What they don't seem to tell those affected ( heirs, estate, etc) is that they can file a claim form to get back that payment, then paid to heirs or estate of deceased.

More details at https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-1724.html

Actual form at https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-1724.pdf

For more background info, see the 2nd Q&A at
https://www.creators.com/read/your-s...n-someone-dies
where it says, in part "they should have explained that you are due the proceeds of that check, but that it has to be reissued in your name. They should have helped you fill out the form to do that the first time you contacted them."

Has anyone been thru this process ?

Old 03-26-2017, 10:29 AM

426 posts, read 507,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What does SSA do if the decedent is insolvent and has no money to recover? e.g. living entirely on SS, paid rent before dying broke.
SSA pays the check the month after, and it is for the month before.

Additionally, NO ONE is due a check FOR the month they die. So, that means that the check received in JULY was for the month of JUNE. Anyone who dies any day in June, including the 30th, is not due the check they received in JULY. The insolvent person, referenced above had already paid the rent for the month they were living.

If they die July 2, and had paid their July rent on July 1, the check they would get from SSA in July was not July's check. It was June's check.

Their July check would probably not even be issued (because if someone in the family contacts SSA early in July, Treasury would have stopped paying the July check in August.

If the death was not reported timely, and Treasury sent July's check to the bank in August, when Treasury learned of the death (from funeral home, hospital, family etc.) they would "zap" the payment out of the account. If a family member or someone else had access to that account and erroneously withdrew the person's money in August, they would go after that account and get their money back.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:58 AM

13,410 posts, read 28,772,506 times
After a visit to SS office, they do owe the check that would have been deposited in March as that was benefit for Feb and he didn't pass until 03/06, so should have that shortly along with death benefit. I get the widows benefit which is higher than mine.

The funeral home just notified them of death that was all.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:54 PM

7,528 posts, read 13,662,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
After a visit to SS office, they do owe the check that would have been deposited in March as that was benefit for Feb and he didn't pass until 03/06, so should have that shortly along with death benefit. I get the widows benefit which is higher than mine.

The funeral home just notified them of death that was all.
Wonder how often this happens, and people are not told, or don't ask about, there is an appeal process to get that month's benefit repaid ?

Old 03-30-2017, 02:05 PM

2,783 posts, read 2,087,532 times
Also been through this a number of times with deceased parents. Everyone was aware of it, and knew the dates of direct deposit. Both my mother and DWs mother both left strict instructions to empty the accounts the day the money went in. Timing actually worked to make that possible. Their last acts of defiance! Never saw any request for return of funds. It was cute/sad how important that was to my mother.....for such a small amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement