Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 09:33 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Paying for the next person's coffee is indeed a nice gesture and we could use more of this in our country and the world. There's always going to be a cynic or two in every crowd ... don't let them deter you from doing a good deed or of worrying about being the recipient of a good deed. Cheers!
I don't think anyone is denying that or being cynical. The problem is when it becomes an obligation and you're expected to now pay for the person behind you and shamed for "breaking the chain".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 09:41 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Yes twice but the both times they said the guy behind me ordered some super duper exotic coffee so I paid triple price both times for my simple cup of coffee
I stopped using drive thru

Old 03-25-2017, 09:58 AM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Everyone here thinks this is a nice gesture it goes much deeper than that. Apparently, the coffee drive through is a new way for men to cruise for homosexual activity. It used to be truck stop bathroom stalls. Now if a gentleman pays for your coffee he is showing interest and you and if you feel the same you are to follow him to a secluded location and well you get the gist of it.

Drink the coffee...don't follow.
And I never drank coffee in a bathroom stall no matter who paid for it.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:39 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
Quote:
Everyone here thinks this is a nice gesture it goes much deeper than that. Apparently, the coffee drive through is a new way for men to cruise for homosexual activity. It used to be truck stop bathroom stalls. Now if a gentleman pays for your coffee he is showing interest and you and if you feel the same you are to follow him to a secluded location and well you get the gist of it.
Im sure 99% of the people here have never heard that.

Funny you do know that, however.....

Old 03-25-2017, 11:53 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
Never paid or got paid for...yet! But one day I watched a young girl at Subway wait on one after another with NO help. She was the only one. When she waited on me I said, ''You sure could use some help!'' and she told me that the other two girls ''just walked out'' and left her there and she seemed on the verge of hysteria or crying or both.
I ordered a 6 dollar sub, gave her a 20, and told her to keep the change for herself and that no one deserved a good tip more!
The day before someone had come forward and given me change when I was embarrassingly short in a grocery line. I figure pass it along.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:55 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,548,044 times
I've done it at Safeway several times when I saw the person in front of me was short. As a single mom, I've was there too often , so being able to give back was awesome.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:58 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,367 times
This has happened to me twice within the last 3 years. Once at the McDonald's drive-thru and another time at Starbucks. I felt like it was a very kind thing to do. Both times the "payer" got away before I can thank them. Some people just have kind hearts with no expectation of anything in return.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:27 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
NEVER heard of that before, seriously!

Old 03-25-2017, 07:57 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,701,333 times
Quote:
You would think so yet, it does happen. This is not the type of lifestyle or behavior I indulge in. But, I do have friends that swing that way and they have filled me in on many details of the lifestyle behind the scenes that most of us don't see. This is what he tells me that happens. Don't shoot the messenger.
So, if a person doesn't swing that way, they are blissfully unaware of the signal and it is just a nice thing that someone did... and if they do swing that way, well, it can be difficult to meet people you have something in common with, not everyone wants to meet someone in a bar, or goes to church, or whatever. You hear that all the time, right?

Old 03-25-2017, 08:45 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Drink the coffee...don't follow.
And I never drank coffee in a bathroom stall no matter who paid for it.
Me either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Im sure 99% of the people here have never heard that.

Funny you do know that, however.....
People tell me things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
So, if a person doesn't swing that way, they are blissfully unaware of the signal and it is just a nice thing that someone did... and if they do swing that way, well, it can be difficult to meet people you have something in common with, not everyone wants to meet someone in a bar, or goes to church, or whatever. You hear that all the time, right?
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement