Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 12:41 PM

31 posts, read 23,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The nightly lows in Flagstaff is 17F in January and 51F in July, the point is that Arizona has different climates which I thin is another huge positive making it second only to Cali in climate in the USA.

I've been significantly unimpressed with New Mexico.
Yes, and Prescott is the milder 4 seasons. Flagstaff is the most expensive place to live in AZ other than the rich elite who live in Paradise Valley. Flagstaff has real winters, and just as if not colder than CT or MA where I lived. I watch the temps all the time for all of the places here in AZ, and keep track of temps in my home states. Dry heat to me is much easier to handle than humidity ever was. I just can't stand many months of it. Though, in CT if it were 88-95 with high humidity, I suffered more with no relief even in the shade while outdoors. Here in Gilbert, AZ, I can sit outside in shade at 105 and it is very doable. Add a slight breeze and it is like warm velvet. I would NOT stand in direct sunlight ever though. The sun is like a laser beam here due to being closer to the equator. When people see how hot it gets, they assume it isn't tolerable. Dry is A LOT more tolerable. I've lived in both. Flagstaff and surrounding areas have to deal with water supply issues depending on where you liuve whereas in the Phoenix area you have SRP Colorado River supply. Make sure if you ever move here to find out the water supply issues or water companies. Do you have to have it trucked in? Is there a water shortage in the area?

Still, heat for me, come to find out, isn't my best friend, but that is due to chronic health issues beyond my control. Extreme cold isn't good either for me. If I had to choose though for sanity, I would like a mild 4 seasons and Prescott has that. It's less expensive than Flagstaff, but prices have shot up since 2008's housing bubble burst.

I have neighbors who moved from NM and hated it, stating that it is like 8 yrs behind the times compared to AZ. NM never appealed to me at all, just as NV never did either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Is staying put in AZ all that bad an option? Serious question, I have visited but never lived there. Does AZ tax SS, pension income?
AZ taxes pensions, but not SSI. Tucson is 8-12 degrees cooler than the Phoenix area. Prescott has mild 4 seasons. Sedona is a bit colder. Flagstaff has really cold winters and lots of snow dumping. Traffic to and from Phoenix in rush hour is crazy. I don't believe AZ pays as much unless you have a career in high demand. My neighbors moved from Gilbert to Vail, just below Tucson. It is cooler than here in Gilbert, which is a town/city-size 25 minutes from Phoenix. Gilbert was rated in the top ten places to live for numerous years, and it now beats Scottsdale. Scottsdale taxes are higher. Gilbert was farmland but they have built it up like crazy. Downtown used to remind me of an old west town, but so many restaurants have moved in and it is pretty cool. Same thing with Chandler. It is sprawling here and is a planned neighborhood. When you are older, the ease of getting to and from hospitals, doctors, dentists, grocery stores, Walmart, Target, and every other retail business are all close. My brother-in-law is wheelchair bound. The weather here is much easier for the disabled to use their chair lifts on the back of his van as it doesn't rain much. He gets around so much easier here than he ever did in CT. He loves the heat as he is older (in his late 70s.) Tucson has more of that cool old west vibe and an artsier scene, though Phoenix is catching up and is no slouch.

My only gripes are that it is now too sprawling as everyone is coming here. It is getting overcrowded. Phoenix is like the hub, and Tucson a close second. Bill Gates is building some epicenter thing up north to the left of Flagstaff. Properties up north are very expensive unless you live in an isolated area away from commerce. It is a huge state.

The heat can be annoying, even if it is dry. (still would take dry over HUMIDITY). Use your AC, and not a big deal. I think of Summer as my Winter here. Once October hits, the temps start to slowly go back down and then we have about 6 months of predictable AWESOME weather. It's why we have so many Snowbirds coming this way, and RV-ers.

I find the restaurants to be awesome in some areas, and fast food in others. Lots of fast foods. Still, because of so many CA transplants, the restaurant scene is much nicer to me than it was in CT. Phoenix Magazine is a great magazine to get an idea of the restaurants. I do miss good seafood in New England though.

I lucked out in that I live across the street (busy Gilbert) from an organic Farm that has Joe's Farm Grill which was featured on "Diner's Drive-ins and Dives", a coffee shop that serves great breakfasts Lunch, and great coffee. Agritopia is the creation of Joe Johnston who wons that property. He grew up on a farm and Joe's Farm Grill used to be his house. He opened up Barnone right there on his property. they have a few artisans in there along with a brewery, winery, farm stand (indoors), small Pizza place, Vegan restaurant called "The Uprooted Kitchen". During the year you can pick your own Citrus, peaches and they sell the best Mejool Dates (organic) in the world. Many organic farms in the area with foot to table dinners, lots of farmer's markets and art walks.

It is all flat here (Gilbert, Chandler) and desert, so lots of stuff looks the same, including houses, but you can view mountains in the distance all around and they are 30 minutes to the closest ones, to an hr or less away for hiking and the lakes are here as well. Loads of people going tubing, or boating/jet skiing. Sedona is 2 hrs away, Prescott is 1 1/2 hrs, and the temps are much lower. Show Low is a lake camping area where people vacation to escape the heat.

We do have wild fires, just like ID, CA, UT, NM, and CO. We had a doozy this year off Roosevelt Lake.

Grand Canyon is 2 /12 hrs away. Skiing in Flagstaff. Camping. Lots of mountain biking and off-roading. Rock climbing, boulder climbing. All popular in this state. We have forest and waterfalls up North in so many areas. Bisbee is a cool town south of here, very artisan oriented as is Tucson.

Peopla here go north in summer or to Show Low or some other lake. My neighbor, a retire NY PD cop, goes fishing all the time!

AZ has everything, and UT also has so many beautiful areas.

Taxes are not bad here, much better than the Northeast. Housing is still affordable in the area, but much higher in Northern AZ. The popularity is why everything is going up. I hate crowds, but that is me. To others, this is no big deal and it isn't like NYC at all so...

If you love living in the mountains, go North. You can isolate yourself well enough. My complaints about the north are sketchy water resources not being hooked up to the Colorado river project with SRP. The water here is VERY HARD. Must have a whole water system to be able to drink, and a soft water system to keep pipes from getting too much mineral residue and ruining them. I preferred the water in Southwick, MA and CT over it here, but I filter my water.

People are out and about much, much more here than they were in CT an MA. So many activities. Guns are legal to carry unconcealed. Red state, but with lots of Blue in some areas. Tucson is much more liberal than Phoenix. Art scene, music scene is pretty cool in both.

More racism here than I found in Northeast which has more diversity what with Boston and NYC. Culture isn't as nice or plentiful to me as in NYC or Boston. It's growing a lot due to transplants. Phoenix must be traveled by car, and not too walkable as it is so spread out. I hate that. They do have a lite rail. It's woefully inadequate compared to NY and Boston trains and subways. You need a car to get around. But...tons of Scooters, Vespas, Motorcycles and Off-road 4 wheeler vehicles on the road because the weather is conducive to it. You have many bike clubs and loads of rides all around. That is wicked cool. There is a Scooter, and a Honda Rucker meetup I see every once in a while across the street. You can ride all year round no problem.

Every Sunday. when I go get my ice coffee across the street, there is a parrot meetup. I have a smaller bird and love them. I go and talk to these older guys who have many parrots. They are sitting out in the open on the picnic tables and you can pet or handle them.

Such a cool place overall, but in the summer months, they can get old. If you have a pretty good retirement pension, no problem escaping for a month or two. My neighbor travels in the summer all over the world. Key is to leave if it gets to you. 6-8 months of excellent consistent weather. Monsoon rainy season brings with it some relief though.

Like I said, Water Management is great, but I worry about drought continuing and where that will take us in 10-20 years. If I didn't have chronic health issues, the heat wouldne't be an issue for me. Extreme weather is an issue for me, hot or cold.

Last edited by Macinpup; 07-11-2019 at 01:31 PM..

Old 07-11-2019, 01:37 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Thanks for posting such an informative revue of Arizona and the Phoenix area. You obviously really like it there so if I were you, I'd try to find someway of staying in Arizona if not in Phoenix.
I live in the desert SW too but in CA at an elevation of 3000 ft. Normal temps here in the summer hover about 100 but 110 is not unheard of. Personally, among other reasons why I want to leave here is that I'm just tired of living in the desert and want a different atmosphere and surroundings.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Other places have raised their taxes, so you avoided Maine?

My property taxes are very low.

The general sales tax rate in Maine is 5.5%
I moved to Southwest to avoid winters. Loved Maine to visit. I read many online sources that state Main is not tax-friendly. That's why I avoid Maine. But Maine is a cool state. Not sure it is cheaper for me than AZ though. Cold, brutal winters, the black fly season is what kept me away at first back in 2010. My family wagon-trained to the Southwest as all the boxes ticked back then. Now I am researching other areas as I am worried about drought, water resources in the future, and my health took a dip and the heat can be too much for me at times. I miss the NE area, which is why I am asking about ME. Lots of things I like, but am wary of the tax situation. as well as the cold winters. So, it is why I am asking here. You're the first person who gave me some hope that it isn't all that bad as tax burden for a retiree. I'm not a veteran so wouldn't get any tax breaks that way.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:44 PM

There is also this:

Income tax rates

Arizona: 2.59 to 4.54 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $152,668.

Maine: 5.8 to 7.15 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $50,000.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Thanks for posting such an informative revue of Arizona and the Phoenix area. You obviously really like it there so if I were you, I'd try to find someway of staying in Arizona if not in Phoenix.
I live in the desert SW too but in CA at an elevation of 3000 ft. Normal temps here in the summer hover about 100 but 110 is not unheard of. Personally, among other reasons why I want to leave here is that I'm just tired of living in the desert and want a different atmosphere and surroundings.
Yeah, my worry is water shortages in the future, and the sprawl here in Gilbert and surrounding towns. I don't like crowds all that much, but do not want to be too isolated. The extreme heat in Summer is another one. I know there isn't a perfect place, but I need a less crowded, maybe less extreme heat without going polar opposite of that. AZ does tick a lot of boxes, but I worry about water in the future. (more North than ins SRP Salt River Project areas.)

Old 07-11-2019, 01:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
While on the AZ theme...
If you prefer rural / moderate temps... consider Cochise County (SE AZ)

There are a few decent sized towns (Sierra Vista, Bisbee, Willcox, Benson) Tucson is within reach for airport, big box, medical.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:01 PM

I prefer to stay north of AZ not South, and have checked into those areas before. My neighbors moved to Vail, AZ. They love it there though.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:49 PM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
While on the AZ theme...
If you prefer rural / moderate temps... consider Cochise County (SE AZ)

There are a few decent sized towns (Sierra Vista, Bisbee, Willcox, Benson) Tucson is within reach for airport, big box, medical.
Yeah, I think SV and the other areas of 4500' and higher in southern Arizona are the best climates in the USA except for some areas of California.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:50 PM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macinpup View Post
I prefer to stay north of AZ not South, and have checked into those areas before. My neighbors moved to Vail, AZ. They love it there though.
I want to look at Vail next time I'm in Arizona....seems nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement