Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 05:07 AM

20 posts, read 20,550 times

Advertisements

When my uncle left my aunt with two kids and only a part time income with no money or child support, it left an impression on everyone. She struggled to survive for years and only made a modest middle-class income for years afterward. She is now retired and living on a small social security payment of about $2,000 a month. She has basically no savings or investments. (She kept working until she was 70 and then started collecting.)

Her two kids turned out OK and make good money. Both of her kids send Mom $750 a month so she can survive financially in retirement.

Do you think this type of situation is common? (Kids help support their parents financially in retirement.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 05:53 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,901,743 times
I don't think it's real common, but it's certainly not unheard of. Although Boomers in general are doing well financially - and the older Boomers are already retired for the most part - people's circumstances vary. In the case you cited with your aunt, her children must be grateful for the difficult times she went through to raise them, and now they are stepping up to the plate with help. Good for them.

However I must say that your aunt lives damn well on $3500 a month - $2000 Social Security plus $750 from each child. Nothing wrong with living damn well, of course, and it's the kids' money, so they get to decide what to do with it. There are a lot more stupid things to do with money than helping one's eldery mother.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:14 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,081,214 times
I know of 2 cases like that, though not the amounts. If a close family that went through hard times has successful kids, and poor parents, then it is probably normal. Many non retired late boomers are quite well off and it is not much of a burden.

Unfortunately it appears to be more common for well off parents to have spendthrift or ungrateful offspring that need parents financial help. It may seem cliché, but people raised with little appreciate the value of a buck and are more careful and driven to save if given the opportunity. I can easily see the difference in oldest kids (boomers) and youngest kids (Xers) in the same family, where starting out the oldest were raised with nothing vs the last kids 10-12 years later had it "all". Of course, it may also be that the older boomers had more opportunities than the Xers. We've discussed this at work and it seems a cliché that has some backing to it, but then the boomer sample group is mostly successful engineers.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:17 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,313,073 times
I don't think people ought to expect their kids to support them in retirement.

However, things happen. When my father died at age 49 and left my stay at home mother with 7 kids to support, she quickly used their savings and found herself living on just SS.

We older kids bought a small house and let her live there free and sent her money every month to supplement her SS income. Nobody forced us to do that but we had been raised and taught to support the family.

Charity begins at home.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:26 AM

242 posts, read 231,510 times
My husband's mother informed her four children that she had been going through her savings in retirement and had about two more years before it was gone. She said that she would probably need to move in with one of them at that time. Fearing that, the four grown children decided to each contribute an equal amount every month to keep her on her own.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:57 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,313,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzsilk View Post
My husband's mother informed her four children that she had been going through her savings in retirement and had about two more years before it was gone. She said that she would probably need to move in with one of them at that time. Fearing that, the four grown children decided to each contribute an equal amount every month to keep her on her own.
Sounds like a good investment.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:07 AM

11,111 posts, read 9,750,713 times
We had my widowed 86 year old MIL living with us when her IL apartments kept raising the rent until she could no longer afford it. It was a win-win because she had about $2400 in income, so she contributed $1000 a month to us for room and board. She had a lot more money leftover every month since she never had to spend anything other than her R&B and incidentals. The extra money came in handy to us, and it allowed us to keep a close eye on her health and get a handle on her finances for her.

Now before anyone says it's mercenary to ask for R&B, she insisted, and to be honest she had very expensive food tastes and wanted us to keep the T-stat 10 degrees warmer all winter. Now she's in AL, with the added income from VA A&A. When/if her dementia gets too bad she will have to go into memory care and we'll have to subsidize her because her income+savings will only keep her going at those rates for about 8-10 months. It's all good. That's what family is for. Her other son is useless, contributes nothing, and never even calls her.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:24 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,018 times
Lots of folks have retired with nothing but social security to depend on because their companies didn't give them a pension, or for whatever reason. It's hard to make it today just on SS. Then when one spouse dies, the remaining one doesn't continue to get both SS pensions, they get a pro-ration. Many women, especially, worked for much lower salaries than men, and their SS pensions were lower. They're often the ones left.

I don't think it's a burden to have to contribute to a parent's way of life when they're older. I'm doing better than they are anyway, and if the tables were turned they would help me in any way they could.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:47 AM

813 posts, read 1,133,212 times
Here in Peru it is unheard of not too take care of your parents. I have been supporting my MIL for the past 15 years (3 years older than me). Now that my YW's sisters are older we each contribute 1/3 as her son refuses to help.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:54 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,267,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
Here in Peru it is unheard of not too take care of your parents. I have been supporting my MIL for the past 15 years (3 years older than me). Now that my YW's sisters are older we each contribute 1/3 as her son refuses to help.
I think it varies between cultures. I am Hispanic and wouldn't think of not helping out my parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement