Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 04:21 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Can someone please tell me how someone can be calculated at 70% disability (for whatever reason) -- can still be a full-time fully functioning law enforcement officer.

Given that my tax dollars are paying for some of this benefit, I'd like to learn more about how this can be.
Educate me.
Thanks.
That is 70% unable to do their military role. The fact that they have another job is not considered.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Last edited by Mikala43; 03-03-2018 at 05:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 05:16 PM

96 posts, read 101,074 times
Some of the rude responses in this thread makes me sad (smh). OP - thank you for your military service as well as serving us civilians iyour role as a law enforcement officer. Your question might be better served in the personal finance sub-forum under economics.

And YES, Mikala43 is correct regarding VA disability pay. He got hurt serving this country and protecting our freedom. The VA determined he cannot no longer serve in the military because of his injury in combat not from being a civilian. Oh never mind...

Old 03-03-2018, 05:41 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Thank you, Mikala43

To others, please don't read more into my question than was actually asked.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:57 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
And if you want to move and get 100%, check out one of the states that have eliminated property taxes for 100% rated vets.
I just closed a disabled Vietnam Vet. He pays 0% property taxes which was my first experience with that exemption.

Saves him about $8k a year. Pretty good deal and much earned.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:26 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Can someone please tell me how someone can be calculated at 70% disability (for whatever reason) -- can still be a full-time fully functioning law enforcement officer.

Given that my tax dollars are paying for some of this benefit, I'd like to learn more about how this can be.
Educate me.
Thanks.
The "disability" doesn't have to be something that makes you incapable of performing your job.

I have a low functioning thyroid that was diagnosed while I was active duty. Since I have to be on meds for that the rest of my life I get a rating for that.

Anything you had to see the medical people while you were serving can be later rated when you retire or separate. All kinds of things. Not just war injuries.

Honestly, I was surprised at what I got when I did my paperwork. You do have to be examined by doctors for the conditions and they determine the severity of your condition.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:29 PM

And we did pay taxes while we served and our retired pay is also taxed. So I guess you can say we are paying ourselves? Only the me we didn't pay taxes was when we were drawing hazardous duty pay. Might have the term wrong, it's been a few years.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I just closed a disabled Vietnam Vet. He pays 0% property taxes which was my first experience with that exemption.

Saves him about $8k a year. Pretty good deal and much earned.
My roommate is 100% disabled Vietnam vet and we are exempt! It's great!

Old 03-03-2018, 08:08 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:

Educate me.
Thanks.
It is described in detail in an earlier post. Perhaps you should read them all before jumping to conclusions.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:23 AM

535 posts, read 343,534 times
Is this net income? $56K net is O.K., but not a lot with a wife who is not working and a son who may want to go to college.
Can you get your wife to get a job or career going? This could only help you. How old is your son? The life insurance plan for your son does not seem correct. You had better go check the policy out and get a letter stating such. Insurance salespeople say things that may or may not be correct at the time you are signing the paperwork. A lot can be misunderstood.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:34 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Quote:
It is described in detail in an earlier post. Perhaps you should read them all before jumping to conclusions.
My question when the reader reads it just for what it is -- and doesn't make any of his or her own presumptions draws absolutely no conclusions.

And other people answered my question, explaining what I asked.
So please tell me exactly what conclusion did I jump to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement