Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 08:31 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
When self checkout first came out I tried it, but invariably there was always an issue that required a person come over to fix the issue, such as it not recognizing the bar code. If I had not used self checkout, the person checking me out would have been right there and took care of the problem, immediately. I think that was either a Home Depot or Lowe's.

I've started using self checkout at Sam's Club, but only when I have a small amount of items. I figure, the more items I have to check out the more often I will run into an issue where I have to wait for help. Sam's has an App for my iPhone that can scan the product as I put it into the cart, but it is not readily apparent where I go to get a receipt printed. I also think that method would be even more prone to issues, as well as fraud, with some people putting things into their cart without scanning them. How could the checker at the door see that with a full cart?

So, I avoid it for two reasons. It's faster when there is a problem and if the problem is me I don't want anybody to look at me that way...
Ditto.

Lowe's was one of them. Walmart was another. At both stores, the "attendant at the self-checkout" was busy with someone else who was having difficulty. That should tell you something, right?

Both times, when the "attendant" was able to help me, it turned out the message displayed on the screen, which made no sense at all to me, was meant for the "attendant".

Why the rush to adopt a system that has so many flaws? It should be simple: scan the item, bag it, insert card, remove card, leave store.

It's plain to see that self-checkouts, like true love, never does run smooth. If it did they wouldn't need to have an "attendant".

I like the pay at the table thing, and I wouldn't mind the order at the table thing if I could tell the computer to "leave out the capers, please".

To anyone who ever did, or ever plans to, send me a group text, be advised that I didn't/won't respond because I didn't/won't read it. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 08:45 AM

761 posts, read 604,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
I have noticed is it bothers him how technology has gone to replace human interaction. For example, one time we went to eat at a fast food place and there were these kiosks where you just touched the screen to order what you want, he didn't like that saying "What happened to actually ordering from people?"

Another time we went to a restaurant where instead of giving the waiter/waitress your food there was a computer on the table where you slid your card and pay. Does technology taking away from interacting with others bother you?

One poster 2 pages ago, points out we are complaining about technology while we type to each other to do so..

Nobody is complaining.. we are turned off

Nor is anybody complaining about technology .. we love it, but there's a time and place

The distaste we are zeroing in on is when it hovers over our meal and supercedes it.

Last edited by tidaldream; 05-22-2017 at 09:44 AM..

Old 05-22-2017, 09:14 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
One poster 2 pages ago, points out we are complaining about technology while we type to each other to do so..

Nobody is complaining.. we are turned off

Nor is anybody complaining about technology .. we love it, but there's a time and place

The distaste we are zeroing in on is when is hovers over our meal and supercedes it.
yea - I took Cobol and Fortran back in the day when we had to use punch cards and card readers, but that doesn't mean I like everything about technology.

The self check-out is one I use rarely. Something always goes wrong.

Pay at the table - I pay in cash for meals out.

ew - and that person mentioned germs - hadn't thought about that.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:34 AM

1,112 posts, read 884,497 times
Thise table tech tablets never work....meh. Give me the check and get me outa there!
Mae

Old 05-22-2017, 09:39 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
I don't really mind new technology and worked with it for much of my career. I don't suppose I mind checking-in/out on a kiosk, but, also don't believe self-service deserves the same level of tipping.

In general, burying one's head in one's 'smart' phone is a 'dumb' excuse for avoiding direct social contact. IMO, it is rude and places a higher value on a surrogate piece of electronics - than on personal relationships.

Many people can text at 90 MPH, but, have lost (or never learned) the ability to hold a civil conversation with others. This has nothing to do with embracing or avoiding technology.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:51 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I don't really mind new technology and worked with it for much of my career. I don't suppose I mind checking-in/out on a kiosk, but, also don't believe self-service deserves the same level of tipping.

In general, burying one's head in one's 'smart' phone is a 'dumb' excuse for avoiding direct social contact. IMO, it is rude and places a higher value on a surrogate piece of electronics - than on personal relationships.

Many people can text at 90 MPH, but, have lost (or never learned) the ability to hold a civil conversation with others. This has nothing to do with embracing or avoiding technology.
I use my table and phone a lot when I am by myself, but not much around others, unless necessary.

We went to a mother's day gathering at a relatives house and the "kids" were all on their phones. This included the offspring of the two mothers being honored and the grandkids too. We older ladies just sat around looking at each other and made small talk.

And yea - I blame the honored moms for not raising their kids to have manners.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:03 AM

183 posts, read 210,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Someone told me the computer thing at the table was to discourage fraud. If your card never leaves your hands, someone can't copy it on the way to the restaurant computer. I really sort of liked that idea. But I agree about self check-outs. I refuse to use them because my sentiment is I am giving YOUR business MY money so the least they can do is have somebody check me out and bag my stuff. And I despise automated attendants when I call a business. I want a live person answering the phone, not this BS "press 1 for English and 2 for Spanish" and then pressing numerous other buttons to get to the person you wish to speak to. One of the reasons I love my bank; an actual person answers the phone every time.

While I do love certain technological advances like online bill paying, we are becoming so computerized that there is little human interaction anymore. Sit in a restaurant and look around. Most of the other patrons are on their damn phones instead of interacting with their party.

I'm not retired but will chime in anyway because I am over 40 and remember life *before* all of the so called new and improved (and ruined) technology that is everywhere now. We don't eat fast food so I haven't experienced that but I refuse to use self check out at the grocery store... If I just spent the time shopping for the groceries why should I have to be my own cashier- are they giving me a discount for this- um no and quite frankly I hate it.

Just pay the damn people already because I didn't sign up to work at the grocery store. I would wait in line to deal with a person checking out and bagging my items even if the self check out was empty.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:05 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
This isn't talking about retirement but given the age of those here (not knocking against anyone, just the forum with the age range I am curious about) I was curious about something. My father is 64 and one thing I have noticed is it bothers him how technology has gone to replace human interaction. For example, one time we went to eat at a fast food place and there were these kiosks where you just touched the screen to order what you want, he didn't like that saying "What happened to actually ordering from people?"

Another time we went to a restaurant where instead of giving the waiter/waitress your food there was a computer on the table where you slid your card and pay. When the waitress came over he tried to give her his card but was told he needed to use the computer to which he said "Well, can't I just give it to you?" and she said he had to use the computer. He had trouble using it and I had to do it for him. Yet again he bemoaned about it.

My question to all of you do you feel the same? Does technology taking away from interacting with others bother you?
I'm 64. He needs to keep up.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:09 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothwells mum View Post
I'm not retired but will chime in anyway because I am over 40 and remember life *before* all of the so called new and improved (and ruined) technology that is everywhere now. We don't eat fast food so I haven't experienced that but I refuse to use self check out at the grocery store... If I just spent the time shopping for the groceries why should I have to be my own cashier- are they giving me a discount for this- um no and quite frankly I hate it.

Just pay the damn people already because I didn't sign up to work at the grocery store. I would wait in line to deal with a person checking out and bagging my items even if the self check out was empty.
I also wait. I don't want to do my own check out and bagging. I prefer the store hire a high school kid to bag. They don't give me a discount for doing that job myself.

I usually just wait in the line and read a newspaper on my iPhone while I wait.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:29 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
$15 a hour for unskilled labor in California is why the computers in restraunts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement