Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 12:39 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,200 times

Advertisements

Living in constant pain can make you depressed. Once you're stuck in that fog of depression it's hard to think straight. As one who lives with constant back pain, you have my sympathies. I hope there is something the docs can do to alleviate some of your pain.

Bad knees and stairs don't go together well. Sell the house and get something more manageable, maybe something all on one floor.

Canada.. that's up to you. Did you like living there? It's cold.. Does the cold make your knee worse? I know the cold makes my back pain worse.

If you like where you live and don't really want to give up any of your possessions you might want to look into those stair chairs.
You could still take a cruise, visit the kids and snowbird.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:52 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Luckily, money leaves the OP with a lot of options that many other may not have. I think that's where some of posts are coming from.

So at least the OP can choose what options she wishes in order to fix her knee and relieve the boredom.

When I am unhappy and sick, I am much happier with money than without!!!

Best of luck OP!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-14-2017, 01:44 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,741 times
There are three issues facing the OP: Knee pain, Loneliness and Boredom.

With commitment of adequate resources, i.e. time and money, the first issue can be resolved.

The second issue, loneliness, is the principal problem.

The third issue, boredom, will be gone if the second issue is resolved.

The OP is relatively young. She should look for a partner to enjoy the golden years ahead.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:02 PM

997 posts, read 710,182 times
I am amazed with the diversity of thought and wealth of feasible suggestions from all of you. Thank you. This is exactly why I posted personal information on City-Data.

Galaxyhi: Thanks for taking the time to post this assessment below. I imagine it took time to prepare. I can take criticism, so those of you that gave me some straight talk, it seems I needed it. For those of you that provided ideas as to what to do, I am going though these responses and preparing a reference and priority list (hmmm ,finding a Beau should be fun, I'm picky ; and I'm going to get working on it .

I also want respond to some things.
1. When I severed my job, it was after a year of untenable stress from a new VP boss. First she got rid of my old Boss, and everyone knew I was next from the disrespectful way she treated me and others. She apparently wanted to clean house. There can be only one Queen Bee. I had been there for 10 years, had a Director level position, made decent money and bonuses. They could have hired two people on what they paid me, so she magically came up with a "Performance Improvement Plan". I had no choice but to accept a Severance, I was done. I was angry and depressed. I then went on one trip after another last year to avoid thinking about my future. I went to Athens, Greek Island Cruise, Bali, Kimodo Islands, Java, N. Vietnam, China, Tibet, Hong Kong, and Caribbean Cruise. I enjoyed my travels and dreaded coming home.

2. I have completely lost interest in pursuing another job in my field (Pharmaceutical). I am also cognizant of my age. I also hold an RN License. Its very difficult to get back in after you leave full time work. Now my age is a factor. I have taken refreshers over the years. I moonlighted on weekends many years in a fierce Psychiatric Unit in a major city. I have seen it all. I can handle other people's problems but when it comes to myself, I am stuck in negativity and insecurity. I am good at helping others but am my own worst enemy. I need to look on the bright side as many of you pointed out. I'd love to work as nurse again, so I might revisit this if my leg gets better.

3. I was given a full relocation to my area and for the last 10 years spent my time working, and traveling, and improving my home. I don't have any real friends here. Digging deeper into my past, I'm not close to my Family, who reside in Canada. Children live in US. Good relationship with them. When I first came to the US years ago, I was in an abusive marriage with an American for 7 years. I have never wanted to remarry. That is why my life focused on work. Ex husband raised the boys. There's a lot I am not telling you. There is more to me than meets the eye here.

4. I'm trying to explain that I have pulled myself up from Hell to get to where I am now. I'm just floundering now deciding what to do from here forward. I do want to take suggestions made to give my self a larger allowance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Baby:

You ARE worthy! You ARE valuable! Just figure out at what and how!

Is that all you needed to hear?

I may have blasted you, but as you can see by MY story, you are far better off than I am.
My post is neither positive nor negative, just giving you a "reality check". Blowing smoke up your butt WON'T help you!

You are over-generalizing, catastropizing, rathionalizing and allowing one or two issues to ruin your life. Ask your therapist about 'cognitive therapy'.

At just $1m, you could never ever earn another penny in any interest or dividends, and still draw down $33,333.33 {$2775+/-/month} a year for the next 30 years and THEN you will run out of money. You mentioned SS, so I assume that while in Canada, you must have working years in USA to get some SS. You have that to look forward to, too. Add $2775+ the $1800 and you have $4,500/ month to spend, though the interest will decrease as you draw down. Not bad at all, and you should outlive your money.

That's about what MOH and I have for income a year; with MOH's two part time jobs {one not guaranteed any particular hours, MOH is looking to change that, when the money is good, it's good, but when there's no work, it's bad}, my SSDI, and my working pay; yet, we are considered "lower middle income" for my area, but look at it: we have FOUR incomes to do it!

I returned to work for the following reasons:
1} I AM bored after 13 years of "no job, no alarm clock, no boss, no money"
2} My SSDI no longer pays much in bills. By working I can increase it and my eventual SS payout. I still have working years left to include in my SSDI and SS. For a while, I can collect my SSDI and work, it IS allowed by the government.
3} I, too, feel "useless", not quite a "burden on society" as I worked at least 2 jobs all my life and earned what I get in SSDI, but have/had no "direction".
4} volunteering {which I've done and am looking for a new outlet} is great, but it takes time and has no paycheck.
5} we really need the money.

My job is part time, 3 days a week, 24 hours a week. It's all I can handle, but at least it's a steady, reliable income. It also gives me 4 days off a week to recoup or to do other things, like being "semi-retired". I come home and stumble into the house, literally, and fall into bed, sometimes only half undressed. The feeling of exhaustion is overcome by the elation of actually "doing something productive". Perhaps you can find a sit-down job, secretarial or something to do, if "self-worth" is your only obstacle to a happier life.

You said you are not a candidate for knee surgery. Yet. As much trouble as I have with my back, and though I have pins screws and plates, it's not enough, and I am still not a candidate for surgery to correct what may really be causing the pain.
The cane has been by my side, day and night for about 9 years. I had to re-learn how to do things. For instance, how to carry two bags of groceries AND my cane. I learned to carry only one and make multiple trips. I learned to carry smaller loads and more trips.
I learned to carry a catch-all bag with me to carry things in in one hand while my other operated my cane. The very first time I asked for a carry out at the grocery store, I felt "belittled" by my own self, my own mind, while they were pleased to help. It took lots or courage and guts to ask for a carry-out, now, I have no problem. But it was HUGE step for me to ask, I am male and considered "strong" of course.
I had to learn to be "strong" in other ways, that is "strong" enough to ask or help when I needed it.

It also seems to me you know what you need to do, already without this posting. Maybe you want confirmation, validation, or are open to ideas.

YOU have options, you have money, $1800/m is your self imposed limit, but you can draw just 1% of your funds and still have {what is the exact figure? $1.2million?} enough to live out your years.

I suggest, only a suggestion, but you seem on the right track for you: clear out the clutter of you home. Sell on ebay {if you want the hassles of shipping}, sell at a garage sale, sell on craigslist, get rid of the clutter you don't need. Then, as I suggested, if you want to summer in Canada, buy a small but valuable condo where all snow removal and lawn care is done for you, and perhaps maintenance included. Then to be near your kids in AZ {If I remember correctly}, look into something small there, too. It needn't be in an expensive city, but maybe a small town nearby an hour away where costs are lower. You should be able to do both for $200k-300k. You will then have about $100k{+} that you can travel a bit and still not touch your savings. Like many other retirees, you need to shift habits from saving to spending what you have saved. Or add to your lump sum. Or it gives you three years at the $33,333. to live worry free while your money grows before you draw down.

Or, start your own business with the leftover $100k, just plan well, and don't overspend what the income will be from it.

Overall, you have options! LOTS of options! sit down and write out your "bucket list" and see what each will cost and then DO IT! JUST DO IT!

When Life hands you lemons, make lemonade. The Sun WILL come out tomorrow {ok, maybe not tomorrow, maybe a day or two later, but it WILL }

It's really hard for me to be sympathetic to your plight when it seems your only issues are a bum knee and a self-imposed depression. Life happens. Everything that happens is 10% what happens to you and 90% HOW YOU REACT TO IT.

You got terminated, so move on to another job if you want, you are certainly NOT the only person forced into retirement, nor permanently laid off.

Many people don't have $50k in savings, you have over a million! Be greatful!

NOW, you have OPPORTUNITIES that holding down a job didn't afford you, TAKE ADVANTAGE of them!

Many people go through a "midlife crisis" or "forced retirement blues" or "catastrophic changes" in life. AS someone said, when a door closes, a window will open, if not OPEN A WINDOW YOURSELF! SOme ONLY WISH for "forced retirement"

DO that bucket list BEFORE the cane becomes a constant need.

Look at how you have blessed, NOT what you have lost!

If need be, learn to adapt to your new life. So you're a little older, a little disabled, a little cheap. Look at the opportunities you DO have in front of you.

For those who blast you {if you consider me too}, well, if they tell you their story like I have, perhaps stand back and OBJECTIVELY look at your situation. You will see how much you have been blessed, how much you have gained, and really how insignificant your predicament is, with just being forced into retirement and a bum knee. You have MANY options I DON'T have, will probably NEVER have.

{If I was forced into retirement now, I'd be back living under a bridge {like when I was homeless} if I had to wait until my real FRA SS kicked in! My retirement savings won't last that long. I'm hoping by working again, I can boost retirement savings too, in addition to boosting my SS.}

Hope you find some happiness, nay, peace in your life, plan better for the future,and it will look brighter!

Mine does, by simply making the change of going back to work, and being a "working person with disabilities". I'ts a hard row for me to hoe, I'm finding, but I am sticking to it, SO that my future will hopefully be brighter! You do the same!

Continued best of luck to you!

Old 06-14-2017, 07:21 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,484,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I have aggressive RA and the anti inflammatory diet did nothing to help.

I eat tons of grains, lots of soy and nightshade. I am mainly vegetarian and my RA has never been better.

My doc and I discussed and he said he has seen no medical evidence to support the anti inflammatory diet, and he deals with arthritis all day long.
I am using a four prong approach hoping to control with one or the other: diet, supplements, weight loss and physical therapy. I am unsure of which course or combination is working but I tried all of them so something is working.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:26 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
I am using a four prong approach hoping to control with one or the other: diet, supplements, weight loss and physical therapy. I am unsure of which course or combination is working but I tried all of them so something is working.
Fair enough. Mine is auto immune as opposed to yours so our treatment is different. Mine is controlled by Enbrel, I'm not overweight, and I exercise frequently.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-14-2017, 07:31 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,020 times
Money can't buy happiness, and pain is a warning of finite mortality. Boredom is a chosen state of mind.

These are basic spiritual issues that have endured for thousands of years. Being rich doesn't change that.

I've got enough room to put up a rich Canadian snowbird-widow here in a 55+ community, but only with an optimistic view of eternity. One hot tub and two pools, no stairs to climb.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:39 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
No, pain does not make one think of finite mortality any more or any less. It does, however, make day to day living rough. Also, few, if any, want to hook up with someone who has a lot of pain or who has restricted mobility.

Optimistic view of eternity = religious believer in God/Jesus

Old 06-14-2017, 09:01 PM

414 posts, read 400,280 times
Sounds as if you are on the way to a brighter future. All the best!

Old 06-14-2017, 10:23 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
With that kind of money you can come visit me!
Seriously, get that knee figured out because it will curtail your social life and cause you to be too sedentary -- not healthy. Being bored gives you time to focus on your sore knee. Work on getting more of a social outlet. Try a learning in retirement program. Try swimming therapy with folks who also have knee or hip problems. I have bad knees and a bad hip and play bocce as often as I can and the social contacts get my mind off my pain. You have 20 years ahead of you and it sounds like you are alone and rattling around inside a big house surrounded by your stuff. That was depressing for me when I was in the same situation. I downsized and moved where I wanted to live but that took a lot of effort. Also be aware that it might be harder selling than you think. You are grieving over the forced retirement. Don't let that loss, inertia, or procrastination rob you of what you want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.