Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 11:00 AM

888 posts, read 890,022 times

Advertisements

Americans spend more money after they retire - Jul. 28, 2017
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 11:07 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
I don't spend more money, for me, it's rent, utilities, food, some insurance and I have NO NEED to buy the years of clothes, purses, shoes etc etc etc I indulged in for decades before retirement. I try to get rid of something just about every day. I'm not into luxury stuff even vacations anymore. I live in a vacationland.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:36 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
Yes in our case. Much more discretionary spending

Old 07-28-2017, 11:51 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Timing is everything! -- I can remember considering living and retirement costs about 10-15-years before the fact ... without thinking too much about inflation and rising taxes and interest rates. Had I trusted my assumptions at that time, we would have been woefully short on retirement funds.

Finally, when we got to retirement (2008), I looked closer at income sources and investment expectations. The financial markets had already been in the tank for a while - where they remained for several years. Fortunately, we had the option of a reasonably high, fixed income (pension, SS, etc) - and did not have to withdraw living expenses from IRA/401K/403B resources. Without that, we would have seriously depleted our principle (and future income expectations), because of sub-par returns over the next several years.

We also recognized that interest rates and taxes were historically low, while future inflation rates and healthcare costs were likely to be much higher. Also, given expected life-spans, long-term care costs 'could' eat-up our nest egg. Now, 9-years into retirement, I still track and adjust our financial expectations on an annual basis -- and have made provisions for ever-increasing inflation costs.

In summary, the determination of whether one's future retirement cost expectations are in line with one's 'then-year' income and costs - is a moving target. Instead of simply considering current costs and near-term retirement expectations, one must to think at least 10-15+ years downstream. In this respect, the old axiom holds true: "Plan for the worst and hope for the best"

Old 07-28-2017, 11:55 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
We downsized and cashed out of our DC-Metro home which had a big mortgage commiserate with our big earnings.

Now we own 2 homes mortgage-free.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:46 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
We can find an article that says whatever we want to hear or believe. As for us and all our friends we spend a lot less in retirement. The exception is probably medical of course. But our utilities are lower, we do not eat out as much, we down sized like most people do, thus our house payment if almost non existent and we don't have the need for nice cloths like we did while working plus in our case we went back to one car. We do not entertain like we used to, not as often or as elegantly. I don't see where anyone can claim they spend more since retiring unless they choose to take one trip on top of another.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:44 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We can find an article that says whatever we want to hear or believe. As for us and all our friends we spend a lot less in retirement. The exception is probably medical of course. But our utilities are lower, we do not eat out as much, we down sized like most people do, thus our house payment if almost non existent and we don't have the need for nice cloths like we did while working plus in our case we went back to one car. We do not entertain like we used to, not as often or as elegantly. I don't see where anyone can claim they spend more since retiring unless they choose to take one trip on top of another.

On all items excluding MEDICAL, we spend a LOT less. We pay much less for housing, property tax, food, vehicles, gym memberships, HOA fees, and other expenses.

However, much of that is offset by the fact that we are paying 100% of our medical costs in retirement as opposed to 30% when we were working.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:49 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
being in to our 3rd year of retirement we spend more than our working years . traveling and dental expenses have been biggies for us .

Old 07-28-2017, 02:50 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,249 times
We are paying less for necessities- because we are in a lower cost of living area. We are even paying less for our healthcare, keeping our fingers crossed that this continues. We are doing a lot more discretionary spending. Going out a lot- taking our kids on vacation. Enjoying life-no longer in the saving mode.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:50 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
I'll be through with my mortgage by the time I retire but I'll completely use that and probably half of what I'm now saving for retirement on travel. I'm sure the other bit will go for health insurance and medical. No reason for my utilities or food to go down much...I buy many of my clothes "vintage" now.

But I hope to have more time for hobbies, some of which will be techie/electronic in nature so that'll cost. I certainly won't be giving up my gym membership...Nope, I don't think I'll be spending much less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement