Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 10:37 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times

Advertisements

I'm 59. I'm hopeful that by the time I'm too old to drive, I'll be able to afford my own self-driving car. It may be moot by then and self-driving taxi service will be everywhere so there's no point in owning a car because the service is cheaper and easier.

That's just one piece of technology that will hopefully help me to age in place and keep me out of assisted living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 11:33 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh those boys and their toys. Then there is Jay Leno...well he's got millions to support others who care for all his toys. Too bad he doesn't house some of the poor vs cars...
Leno and his wife are well known for their charity. He is providing jobs to the people that take care of his cars.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:00 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
It doesn't feel like the loss of autonomy that I anticipated. It really a huge weight off, like another poster said. We used to love road trips, but kind of "been there, done that" feeling about it now. Plus we both were not comfortable driving at night anymore. Sold the Toyota Rav4 that we loved for 10 years, used the $$ for moving our stuff down here.

We retired to an area with excellent public transpo, very cheap. Not a single regret about cars!

Old 02-08-2018, 12:25 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
It doesn't feel like the loss of autonomy that I anticipated. It really a huge weight off, like another poster said. We used to love road trips, but kind of "been there, done that" feeling about it now. Plus we both were not comfortable driving at night anymore. Sold the Toyota Rav4 that we loved for 10 years, used the $$ for moving our stuff down here.

We retired to an area with excellent public transpo, very cheap. Not a single regret about cars!
That's good to hear. That's kind of become my plan too. The more I think about it, the more it seems having a car when I really don't need one becomes more like an albatross around my neck. My main reason for having a car is to get to work. Once retired that will be gone.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:03 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That's good to hear. That's kind of become my plan too. The more I think about it, the more it seems having a car when I really don't need one becomes more like an albatross around my neck. My main reason for having a car is to get to work. Once retired that will be gone.
Damn, that's sad. You need a better car - how about a vintage Corvette? Or an E30 M3 like I have?

There are all sorts of fun cars you can own, and drive, and enjoy, not just as an appliance - although, yeah, you can drive them to the doctor or to get groceries too - get the right deal on the right car, and it will always be worth at least what you paid for it, maybe more.

It helps if you have at least 2 cars, a garage, and can do all your own routine maintenance, and it helps to not live in rust country, nor in Cali.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:34 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Damn, that's sad. You need a better car - how about a vintage Corvette? Or an E30 M3 like I have?

There are all sorts of fun cars you can own, and drive, and enjoy, not just as an appliance - although, yeah, you can drive them to the doctor or to get groceries too - get the right deal on the right car, and it will always be worth at least what you paid for it, maybe more.

It helps if you have at least 2 cars, a garage, and can do all your own routine maintenance, and it helps to not live in rust country, nor in Cali.
Some people don't find cars fun, Corvette or not.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:35 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I always thought of a car as a necessary object in order to get from point A to point B, not much else.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:39 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,169 times
an observation. People who consider or have already given up driving or owning a car seem more mellow than those with opposing views.

My truck is 18 years old. I use to rent a car when I wanted something for a trip, but it got to where I had difficulty figuring out how to operate a different car. It wasn't fun to drive something so much out of my comfort zone.

Now I just drive the truck, but I have researched other forms of getting around should the need arise. I don't think I will miss driving. Certainly not the end of the world.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:47 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post

Thank you all for inspiring me to make the call and sign up for my local government funded transit service. I don't feel like a sad sack or that I have given up at all I can still drive to the store, etc, but don't have to worry about my twice yearly trip to the doctor that was beginning to be a problem. It will be interesting to see how not having to make the drive affects my BP

I won't mind waiting. I can visit friends or spend time at the senior center as long as I am back at the meet up place at the right time.

I can also plan a trip to the grocery to stock up and see how that goes. By the time I decide to quit driving altogether, or the truck decides for me , I should be an experienced passenger.

$5 round trip. I bet lots of you have a similar program in your area.
Thank you for this thread. I have been thinking about this for awhile. I'm glad I finally made the call. I think this will give me more freedom and independence, not less.
I see you live in 'middle Tennessee'. As an example, I looked up Johnson City, Tennessee and nearby towns at Instacart.com and found that Instacart delivers groceries from Food City and Krogers for those towns. You could put your town and nearby towns into Instacart.com and see if they are delivering groceries for your town & area. It's a great service - and Instacart.com is all over the U.S. I use it a lot. Instacart delivers from Target too in many areas.

Last edited by matisse12; 02-08-2018 at 04:08 PM..

Old 02-08-2018, 03:59 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
And I find that sad, like a wino who drinks Thunderbird just to get drunk, or worse, just to avoid the DTs.

Almost any aspect of life can provide enjoyment beyond whatever prosaic necessities it might cover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement