Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 08:59 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times

Advertisements

The appellation might change with age but the "ick" factor never does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 11:41 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
I'm sorry but I'm going to apparently be a dissenter on this one: I love interacting with older men like this!

OP; I'll tell you why I let them get away with it but it is only my feelings (obviously per other responders): For more than one reason; they have ceased to be a perceived threat to me. This has little (but some) to do with physical strength & agility. It also has to do with basic manners & respect; "dear" is a word with 4 letters vs being a 4 letter word.

These guys make me feel safe .They are not pushy, rude or demanding. There is no drama.

I feel like if thats all it takes to make some elderly man's day? I can lift his spirits? Compared to everyone else in my life that I can never make happy no matter how hard I try? Yup; count me in.

I'm the outlier here but that's okay; more for me I guess..

Old 08-11-2017, 04:12 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,091,733 times
coschristi very nicely said.

I am one of those who went through life skirting it with statements like the OP was referring to. I was a flirt is the sweet sense and if I flirted with someone who took it the wrong way I was quick to explain and apologize. I never used dirty words. It would almost always be flattery but it could be more subtle as well. I have many women who consider me a close friend and would not hesitate to come and hug me tightly. They all know I am very married and all of them could not compete with my wife. That doesn't mean though that they couldn't enjoy a compliment or two. Or to have a laugh and get their spirits raised.

So OP as to how old does a person have to be. I will say there is no age. Age is only a number. It is always a matter of tact and sincerity. If your words offend you can tell right away. It is a look in the eye. Don't hesitate to apologize. Generally after that it does lighten up. Until then flirt away. Life is too short to be serious.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:06 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
coschristi very nicely said.

I am one of those who went through life skirting it with statements like the OP was referring to. I was a flirt is the sweet sense and if I flirted with someone who took it the wrong way I was quick to explain and apologize. I never used dirty words. It would almost always be flattery but it could be more subtle as well. I have many women who consider me a close friend and would not hesitate to come and hug me tightly. They all know I am very married and all of them could not compete with my wife. That doesn't mean though that they couldn't enjoy a compliment or two. Or to have a laugh and get their spirits raised.

So OP as to how old does a person have to be. I will say there is no age. Age is only a number. It is always a matter of tact and sincerity. If your words offend you can tell right away. It is a look in the eye. Don't hesitate to apologize. Generally after that it does lighten up. Until then flirt away. Life is too short to be serious.
I worked in healthcare and interacted with my share of "cute, flirty, old men". I learned to smile at their flirting and double entendres, otherwise they kept going until they got the response they so desperately needed. I'm sure they all thought they were sweet and flattering. Unfortunately it got old because there are quite a few men who do this. They think they are original and not like other boring, old men, their flirting sets them apart and above. If they could only see themselves as others do, but a lifetime of delusions prevents that.

The worst offenders were the ones who did it with their wives in tow. Some wives were embarrassed (not for themselves), some were mortified, some showed disgust and others grinned and bared it. How sad for these women to have to grow old with a serial flirter who respects no one, least of all himself.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-11-2017 at 05:15 AM..

Old 08-11-2017, 05:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
@ age 61... do the world a favor and give it a 35 yr rest and come back and ask then.

I spend too much time in Asia where the age 61+ males get met at the airports by their 20 something weekend / holiday / seasonal / fulltime 'charmers'. Pretty (yes they are pretty) sad, yes, they are often very sad. Tragic... I am sure it is to many. (especially the families / trainwrecks left behind, and the 'future' they are wasting of others, (all the while they are 'so-pleased' with themselves...).

Cute? no... it is never 'cute'.

Do come back in 35 yrs.
Maybe socially we will all 'advance' by that age (96)! Congrats, you can get a National Parks Pass next yr! Another step on your road to 'completion'

Appreciate the 'small' steps, especially those steps that do not walk all over others.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-11-2017 at 05:59 AM..

Old 08-11-2017, 06:30 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Do I enjoy looking at the lovely young girls? Of course!

Do I make comments to them? Absolutely not!

If you are indeed a dirty old man, keep it to yourself.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:31 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
I have to say most of the responses are surprising to me. A lot of the replies are quite emphatic. I suppose it's where you live(d) and how you grew up. We're laid back and take life as it comes in most of my state, county, and definitely my town. "Dear" is a term of endearment here; said without malice and without taking offense.

I'm not talking about old men "hooking up" with young lovelies fro a little fun. Just old men, and sometimes women, who harmlessly flirt with us "young pups". I guess I line up with coschristi and oldsoldier. A lot worse places to be.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:22 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I have to say most of the responses are surprising to me. A lot of the replies are quite emphatic. ...
I don't feel it is regional / small town or large / different cultures (ONLY within your culture).

Nothing personal to you or the vast numbers who practice this behavior thinking they are benefiting humanity.
Just a discussion worth having (thx for asking, THAT is very thoughtful! )

Do realize that many (too many) have been accosted by this behavior for far too many yrs to count.

Spend quality time listening to 'career' flight attendants, executive admins, pubic service, food service, (truck stop waitresses) phone support gals who have endured this behavior as a daily part of their j-o-b.

Yes, it is excellent to be friendly, fun, occasionally teasing, always sincere, spreading cheer, compliments, encouragement and edification. 'Flirting' seldom accomplishes that. Few will be absolutely comfortable with it.

Choose your words wisely, never "flirt" in the presence of your SO, or someone who MAY be offended.
One very powerful and potentially damaging tongue, (2) very helpful ears, hands, feet, eyes.

Flirt dictionary definition | flirt defined
noun
The definition of a flirt is a person who habitually behaves in a way designed to be attracting, interesting and engaging to someone in whom they have a romantic interest.

verb
To flirt is defined as to behave in a way to be romantically appealing to someone or to dabble with an idea or with participating in something, but not commit.

Sounds fun? Not to the millions who have been hurt / devastated / toyed with / crushed / lived in fear by such.

Good lesson, good time to consider how (what) we communicate to others every waking hour. I have a lot to learn MORE to put into practice. Thanks for the reminder

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-11-2017 at 08:32 AM..

Old 08-11-2017, 08:40 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
I am 74, I go to a big church, I dress nice, I am not outgoing and would never say anything questionable to a pretty lady,. People tell me I have a youthful spirit, I think women recognise that and like it, I get smiles and maybe a hello from pretty women all the time.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:53 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I am 74, I go to a big church, I dress nice, I am not outgoing and would never say anything questionable to a pretty lady,. People tell me I have a youthful spirit, I think women recognise that and like it, I get smiles and maybe a hello from pretty women all the time.

Glad to hear and good for you <not sarcasm. honest> Perhaps "tease" or "youthful in spirit" is what I was looking for instead of "flirt".

So, the age is down from 96 to 74 y/o.

Last edited by retiredtinbender; 08-11-2017 at 09:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement