Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 04:25 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Maybe they are using that word because it seems to be our president's favorite word.
I thought it was "Huge!"
"Believe me."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 06:37 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
I take 5 pills/day, all otc supplements. I have trouble keeping track so it's a HUGE help.

Multiple/E/JointSup/Calcium/SAMe

Old 08-28-2017, 10:44 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Even at a younger age some people will have an issue remembering if they took their medicine. My wife is pretty sharp, takes only one pill a day but sometimes doesn't remember. Since it is something you do everyday without really thinking about it most people can become confused.
Way back when when the meds really did make a huge difference, I still put them in a scheduler. One thing about me which has always been is when I'm deep into something, incidental stuff just gets done automatically. Or not done. Take my vitamins? The bottle sits next to the computer. If its on the shelf, then I know I took it. If I was really busy and forgot, I have no idea. So I started putting them in a little cup. The others I take later, but one is after waking.

I put the box with the bottles on the shelf too. If its been removed and the bottles are not there, its because I took them. If its late and its still not moved out of its spot, then I forgot. I also have a spot they go when the bottle is getting low. Now I just go online and order another, but when I had to go out to do that I checked before going to the store.

But when I'm working on something, and usually when this is happening I'm concentrating on it, small stuff like taking the pill(s), unless they are in front of me, doesn't necessarily register. I keep going to get coffee until there is no more coffee in the pot. And I've always been like this, even when I was a kid.

Stuff that really is important goes in a pill minder and also where I can't help but notice it. When I'm done, I refill and move it to out of the way until morning.

I've found that if short term memory can be aced by more interesting things, it doesn't mean anything about how good or not the rest of it is.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:47 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I have one for my vitamins. It's just easier and I am more likely to remember to take them. Mine sits on top of my computer desk and I rarely miss a dose since I got my pill box.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:02 PM

1,020 posts, read 809,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
I'd think my life is over if I need to pop several pills every day. Is it common for older folks?
LMAO. Your life is probably going to be over sooner than you think. Around age 40-45 if you're a typical American. Check back in then.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:52 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
Oh, Trust me, you'll likely be popping a few pills by the time your 60, if not sooner. I love my weekly pill reminder case, one less thing to worry about... I only take 2 meds and doctors are always surprised that's all I need!

Old 08-29-2017, 04:43 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Not judging, but is needing to pop so many pills you have those full week containers for every day very common for older folks? I saw someone pull one out and I just think it would be awful for several reasons:

1. I hate having to take pills at all, not just due to the inconvenience but I am always paranoid that they'll give bad side effects or cause some bizarre bad reaction.
2. I have a huge trouble swallowing pills, sad I know but I have choked on pills several times and it really bothers me.
3. You probably have a ton of health issues.

Granted, this woman looked to be in her 60s-70s but still. I'd think my life is over if I need to pop several pills every day. Is it common for older folks?
"Older folks". LOL.

Blood pressure medications and cholesterol medications are commonly needed for a lot of people even "young folks" - same with cholesterol reducing meds.

These medications are one of the big reasons why people live so much longer than they used to, and stave off strokes and heart disease in their later years. High blood pressure often appears in your 30's, and even if it is mild, it is slowly but continuously damaging your circulatory system if you do not treat it.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:31 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
I sometimes use two sets of daily pill containers, but I draw the line there. I am a little concerned that storing dissimilar pills together could result in a chemical change to some of the pills. If I have to go away from home longer than two weeks, I take the pills in their original bottle.

I recommend anyone who wants to keep them together for longer periods of time check with their pharmacist to see if it might cause problems.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:04 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Thanks. I didnt know they were child-proof. They're very easy to open.
Just for the record those particular pill bottle tops flip over to be used as easy open screw tops if you don't want to use them as the child proof type.

As for the OP, my young adult son takes more pills than I do, so much for 'older' peoples issues eh?
Up until a month ago I didn't take any and now that I'm trying to adjust to the new routine of 'pill popping' those containers are the only method I have to help me remember if I actually popped my pills when I should have.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:00 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Just for the record those particular pill bottle tops flip over to be used as easy open screw tops if you don't want to use them as the child proof type.

No!!!!

/runs off to check

I love you.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement