Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2017, 06:13 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterDude View Post
Don't underestimate the value of weather. If you're used to California weather, it's going to be challenging to get used to a continental humid climate.

Other than that, your cost structure is the most limiting factor. If you build in compromise on what you're expecting, you may be better off. For example, you could put yourself into a single-level condo almost anywhere except the coasts, and be happy as a clam. At $75k for home and property, you're even priced out of moderately-priced metros like Phoenix.

You might consider Spokane, WA. It's in the more conservative eastern part of the state, has a snowy winter (but nothing like the hard winter you get in MPLS), no state income tax, and has a VA hospital. No idea on property costs, but there might be something for you.

You could also consider Reno. It has a VA hospital, moderate year-round climate, hotter summers. No state income tax. I don't particularly like the area, but it might work for you.

Or maybe the suburban margins of Jacksonville FL? Depending on your timeline, that might work. No state tax, moderate cost of living, reasonable weather, possible fit for property cost. They just funded a new VA clinic there that will be ready for patients in 5 years. However, the Veterans Choice program would let you seek out care outside of the VA system.

Good luck with your retirement, and here's hoping you find a good solution.
There are other areas like Walla Walla or maybe Tri-Cities that might meet your needs, although I do think a 3-acre plot with a house is going to set you back more than $75K. You might meet budget way out in the sticks but the proximity to medical care will not be what you said you wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 06:36 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,251,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod5591 View Post
We plan to buy a few acres and raise chickens, maybe a goat or two, and have have a garden and try to live a quiet life, minding our own business. We would love to find a house/manufactured home in good condition and 3 acres for not more than $75K. My wife would like to locate near but not in a small city maybe 25K in population with a full service hospital. I am a veteran and would like to be withen 40 miles or so of a VA medical center or clinic.
Didn't read through all of the responses to your post. Check out the areas surrounding Sierra Vista, AZ. Sierra Vista does have a VA clinic and a hospital. Look at Whetstone, Hereford, Huachuca City and Palaminos. I did a quick search on Zillow and found a manufactured home on 8 acres for less than $50K.

Good luck on finding your retirement spot!

Old 10-16-2017, 07:01 PM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times
It can be done. You need to do research and keep an open mind. This listing is in a small town of about 2000 in KY and it does have a hospital in town. The crime rate here is extremely low. Property taxes are extremely low. This town is located about 45 miles from Lexington which has a VA hospital. It's also located within about 18 miles to Richmond KY which has a university and just about all the amenities you would need. Richmond has a population of about 33,000.

1335 BARNES MT. RD., Irvine, KY 40336, US

If I can find these houses, so can anyone else. You just have to spend some time looking. This house is $59,000 and on 6 acres. You have all four seasons but summers are not extremely hot and winters not extremely cold. Spring and fall are beautiful in this part of the country.

Last edited by marino760; 10-16-2017 at 07:18 PM..

Old 10-16-2017, 08:22 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod5591 View Post
My wife and I are planning to retire, on a budget, and we are looking for the state with:

1) No state income Tax
2) Lowest Sales Tax
3) Lowest Property Tax

Or the best combination of the three.

We plan to buy a few acres and raise chickens, maybe a goat or two, and have have a garden and try to live a quiet life, minding our own business. We would love to find a house/manufactured home in good condition and 3 acres for not more than $75K. My wife would like to locate near but not in a small city maybe 25K in population with a full service hospital. I am a veteran and would like to be withen 40 miles or so of a VA medical center or clinic.

We don't have strong preferences about weather except we do not want humid hot summers such as Florida or the Gulf Coast states.

The weather here is California where we live is great, but its way too expensive here and taxes keep going up, plus the state is going the wrong direction culture-wise, with all the liberals and the crooked politicians. We would live Oregon and/or Washington, but prices are high in those areas and the liberals are ruining those states as well.

Some states we have looked at are Arkansas and Tennessee, Wyoming, Utah.

Can anyone suggest any good low cost states to retire?

Also where can I get the information about sales tax rates, property tax rates, etc?

Thank you for any help and/or advice.
Here is one good post I remember on the issue of how to determine where to retire - those folks did their homework:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
We research and research and research all big decisions and moving is a HUGE one.

In the 10 years leading up to our retirement, we vacationed to spots we thought we'd like to live after retirement. Picked our top 3. After we sold our home and retired (ages 50/51), we went to all 3 and rented a vacation home for a month in each of them. Picked our top choice...after a few more months of renting, we purchased a few doors away and already knew our 'new' neighbors.

We opted for a series of 5 year plans in retirement (retired in 2003) and did the same thing for subsequent moves and purchases. All have been winners....and we got to know people as we visited then rented, before we purchased. All our retirement venues have been small artsy funky liberal towns.
Only the last sentence wouldn't apply to you, OP - but, otherwise, the "try me" plan sounds pretty good.

That said, CA climate is very different than the Midwest. Many suggestions for PA - but that state does get winter. My experience has been California people do NOT like cold weather - or snow. Me - I love cold weather and hate summer (anything over 72 is too hot) - even here - so, for the most part, there is no other place I can live.

We've had posts from CA people - there are many rural areas in CA where COLA is low - and property taxes should be, as well. You might want to consider more research into your state before pulling the plug.

Also, how many good years do you expect to have? Are you in your 60's or retiring in your 50's? Know that old age comes on very quickly. 60 is not 70. Things can change in an instant. Farm work and animals require labor.

My brother was fine one month at 72 - next month he's at death's door with congestive heart failure. Heart function is now permanently impaired. He lives upstate in a smaller town but not rural - the nearest well-equipped/excellent hospital maybe ten miles away in a medium-sized urban city. That's doable.

40-45 miles away is the equivalent of an hour's drive from a medical facility. Imo, that's too far.

At 75 y/o,I rarely doctor, have no ailments - but there is no way at my age I'd be living in the boonies - not near shopping or medical - and with a car a must-have. In the city, there are cabs, public transportation. We can even get groceries delivered at will. One is certainly not independent living rural if one's mode of transportation fails.

All this talk of state income, sales taxes, property taxes. WI does not tax SS, does tax other retirement income at around 2-5%. I haven't paid WI income tax since I retired in 2009. I pay very little in sales tax because I don't need to buy much anymore - other than food - and food is not taxed. Property taxes for me are high but my house also has a very high value - and is wonderfully located. The location is gold.

That said, sales taxes can be very regressive - everyone pays. Sales tax is the one tax I really resent. Some states may have no income tax - but watch out for the sales taxes. In WI, the tax is 5% - in Milwaukee County 5.5%. Still somewhat low. Go to Illinois, the sales tax is 9% in Cook County. You don't want to spend a dime, there.

If budget/COLA is an issue, you need to factor in transportation/vehicle costs when living so far away from everything. I live urban/suburban. I might put 1,500 mi. a year on the car. My vehicle costs are almost zero. Biggest expense is auto insurance. I don't drive more than a half mile to do grocery shopping - and yet still have huge park at my back door. Major teaching hospital two miles away, VA hospital two miles in the other direction.

On the other hand, I have a 74 y/o relative who does live in the boonies in the wilds of Northern Wisconsin - puts tons of miles on his vehicles - 50k/yr. is not unusual. Medical emergencies, of which he's had a few, require nailbiting 45 minute to one hour drives. No thanks. Living where he does is VERY expensive. Food costs more - quality is not as good because it has to be shipped in. Very cold winters. He's willing to put up with this hard life. It certainly is not less expensive than mine.

My heat/AC bill is $131/mo - winter and summer 1900 sq. ft. house. In the south - like TX/FL - you could easily see electric bills over $300/mo. There go your property tax savings. Since I hate the heat, I've never been tempted.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-16-2017 at 09:32 PM..

Old 10-17-2017, 08:06 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I missed where Rod5591 said anything about his financial resources.
He lists his budget envelope. Budget = f(financial resources).

Old 10-17-2017, 08:18 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
He lists his budget envelope. Budget = f(financial resources).
Every retiree must function from within a budget.

That does not mean they are incapable of retiring.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:56 AM

130 posts, read 134,513 times
For what it’s worth, I’ll 2nd, or 3rd, PA. Somewhere around Washington, PA (SW PA) might meet your needs. There’ a VA hospital north in Pittsburgh and one south in Clarksburg, WV. You’re near Morgantown, Wheeling, Pittsburgh, and not that far from Cleveland and Columbus.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:31 AM

1,305 posts, read 856,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Here is one good post I remember on the issue of how to determine where to retire - those folks did their homework:

Only the last sentence wouldn't apply to you, OP - but, otherwise, the "try me" plan sounds pretty good.

That said, CA climate is very different than the Midwest. Many suggestions for PA - but that state does get winter. My experience has been California people do NOT like cold weather - or snow. Me - I love cold weather and hate summer (anything over 72 is too hot) - even here - so, for the most part, there is no other place I can live.

We've had posts from CA people - there are many rural areas in CA where COLA is low - and property taxes should be, as well. You might want to consider more research into your state before pulling the plug.

Also, how many good years do you expect to have? Are you in your 60's or retiring in your 50's? Know that old age comes on very quickly. 60 is not 70. Things can change in an instant. Farm work and animals require labor.

My brother was fine one month at 72 - next month he's at death's door with congestive heart failure. Heart function is now permanently impaired. He lives upstate in a smaller town but not rural - the nearest well-equipped/excellent hospital maybe ten miles away in a medium-sized urban city. That's doable.

40-45 miles away is the equivalent of an hour's drive from a medical facility. Imo, that's too far.

At 75 y/o,I rarely doctor, have no ailments - but there is no way at my age I'd be living in the boonies - not near shopping or medical - and with a car a must-have. In the city, there are cabs, public transportation. We can even get groceries delivered at will. One is certainly not independent living rural if one's mode of transportation fails.

All this talk of state income, sales taxes, property taxes. WI does not tax SS, does tax other retirement income at around 2-5%. I haven't paid WI income tax since I retired in 2009. I pay very little in sales tax because I don't need to buy much anymore - other than food - and food is not taxed. Property taxes for me are high but my house also has a very high value - and is wonderfully located. The location is gold.

That said, sales taxes can be very regressive - everyone pays. Sales tax is the one tax I really resent. Some states may have no income tax - but watch out for the sales taxes. In WI, the tax is 5% - in Milwaukee County 5.5%. Still somewhat low. Go to Illinois, the sales tax is 9% in Cook County. You don't want to spend a dime, there.

If budget/COLA is an issue, you need to factor in transportation/vehicle costs when living so far away from everything. I live urban/suburban. I might put 1,500 mi. a year on the car. My vehicle costs are almost zero. Biggest expense is auto insurance. I don't drive more than a half mile to do grocery shopping - and yet still have huge park at my back door. Major teaching hospital two miles away, VA hospital two miles in the other direction.

On the other hand, I have a 74 y/o relative who does live in the boonies in the wilds of Northern Wisconsin - puts tons of miles on his vehicles - 50k/yr. is not unusual. Medical emergencies, of which he's had a few, require nailbiting 45 minute to one hour drives. No thanks. Living where he does is VERY expensive. Food costs more - quality is not as good because it has to be shipped in. Very cold winters. He's willing to put up with this hard life. It certainly is not less expensive than mine.

My heat/AC bill is $131/mo - winter and summer 1900 sq. ft. house. In the south - like TX/FL - you could easily see electric bills over $300/mo. There go your property tax savings. Since I hate the heat, I've never been tempted.
Lots of good, thoughtful information! Wisconsin is on my short list! Thanks!

Old 10-17-2017, 11:34 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Every retiree must function from within a budget.

That does not mean they are incapable of retiring.
Very True... but their list of requirements and budget constraint yield the null set.

That is, given his budget constraint of "not more than $75K" and his criteria which include "no state income tax," "lowest sales tax," lowest property tax," "a few acres," "raise chickens, and maybe a goat or two," "have a garden," "3 acres," "within 40 miles of a VA medical center or clinic" just isn't doable.

So, he must either improve his financial situation to enable his criteria, or change his criteria altogether. The most straight forward way for most people to improve their financial situation is by continuing to work. Of course, there are alternatives -- he may well have the proverbial "Rembrandt in the Attic" which he could sell to finance his retirement.

Quote:
My wife and I are planning to retire, on a budget, and we are looking for the state with:

1) No state income Tax
2) Lowest Sales Tax
3) Lowest Property Tax

Or the best combination of the three.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:47 AM

5,329 posts, read 6,024,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Very True... but their list of requirements and budget constraint yield the null set.

That is, given his budget constraint of "not more than $75K" and his criteria which include "no state income tax," "lowest sales tax," lowest property tax," "a few acres," "raise chickens, and maybe a goat or two," "have a garden," "3 acres," "within 40 miles of a VA medical center or clinic" just isn't doable.

So, he must either improve his financial situation to enable his criteria, or change his criteria altogether. The most straight forward way for most people to improve their financial situation is by continuing to work. Of course, there are alternatives -- he may well have the proverbial "Rembrandt in the Attic" which he could sell to finance his retirement.
Altogether? I don't think so. No state income Tax, Lowest Sales Tax, Lowest Property Tax or the best combination of the three. It appears there are lots of options out there; he can tweak his requirements if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement