Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 03:03 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,233,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
At what age you decided that an over-night red-eye flight is no longer good for you?
Eleven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 03:47 AM

6,784 posts, read 5,513,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Two points...

First, leave yourself a buffer if you have a connecting flight. Two hours between connecting flights is bearable and should ensure you make your next flight even if the first one is running late. Also, the later in the day, the more likely a flight will be late.

Second, getting your checked bag is no big deal. You most likely pass the baggage carousels on the way out. I don't want to be washing clothes every two days because I didn't want to check a bag.
Counterpoints:

I WAS being facetious with the "1/2hour to get from gate "A" to gate "ZZ" 2.5 miles away. There is usually a buffer, but when you walk with a cane a 2 hour layover can diminish from 2 hours to 1/2hr. I also don't like late day flights. When I travel by air, I just want to get there.

Second, I (we) only pack carryon, if I'm taking more than that, I'm taking too much for a week. Every outfit can be mix and match, can be worn more than once unless really soiled and under wear is scrunchable. Take a look at how "professional travelers" pack for a week or more in europe for example. ( Rick Stevens, Rudy Maxa, etc).
Only once have I done laundry in vacation...a 12,day stay. Im not about to haul 12 days of outfit. 6 or 7 days in a carryon works.

Remember I walk with a cane, a big heavy suitcase is a hardship on my back, hip and knee. Either pulling it or lifting it into a trunk.

Another point:

Also, we have learned from our Hawai'i trips and elsewhere, that less is more, and to ship UPS home anything we buy there, and ship ground equivalent so we are home before it arrives.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:57 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,920,148 times
Pretty much all flights between US and Europe are red-eyes. I don't ever plan to stop going to Europe. We do, however, fly business class to Europe and have since we retired (at age 50). Now at age 65, we fly first or business domestically too, other than on short hop non-stops of less than 2 hours duration.

Our biggest budget item is travel. Others may see it as a waste, but we don't.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:15 AM

14,275 posts, read 14,812,421 times
My situation is good and bad. Bad is few flights go to where I want from my local airport (CAE) which is 15 minutes from my home. The good news is I live a 1.5 hour drive from CLT and I can get a direct flight from there for 80% of my needs. I have no need nor urge to go anywhere that requires a connection.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:17 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,009,850 times
That age was 4 years ago.

I finally realized that I am not going to sleep on an over night flight, ever. So taking a red eye wipes out the next day for me as I am dog tired. I actually lose a day instead of gaining it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-28-2017, 10:23 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,863,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
OP here. Just a little bit challenge. If you take a red-eye flight and arrive in Paris in the morning, can you start your sight-seeing activities immediately? You cannot check into your hotel that early.
But you didn't take a red-eye to get there. From, say, Chicago to Paris is a 9 hour flight plus a 7 hour time difference. To arrive in Paris at 8am, you have to leave Chicago at around 3 in the afternoon.

If you actually take a red-eye and leave Chicago at midnight, you arrive in Paris at 4 in the afternoon local time.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:30 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,363,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I have no need nor urge to go anywhere that requires a connection.
A nit but... "Direct" and "Nonstop" are not the same thing. A direct flight could stop a few times along the way. It can have an equipment change along the way where you need to get off the plane and (hopefully) get on another plane with the same flight number. And yeah, a hub like CLT has pretty good nonstop service to a ton of cities.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:43 AM

16,142 posts, read 10,826,282 times
I won’t sleep on a flight regardless of the time but can’t really sit for more than 45 minutes so I take the train for US travel (or drive). I never ever fly into a 3rd world country after dark based on prior experience so that also is a timing factor.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:34 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,939,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
But you didn't take a red-eye to get there. From, say, Chicago to Paris is a 9 hour flight plus a 7 hour time difference. To arrive in Paris at 8am, you have to leave Chicago at around 3 in the afternoon.

If you actually take a red-eye and leave Chicago at midnight, you arrive in Paris at 4 in the afternoon local time.
They're both red-eyes. A red-eye is a flight that departs and arrives on different days.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,786 posts, read 58,271,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
They're both red-eyes. A red-eye is a flight that departs and arrives on different days.
so it's a Double 'Red-Eye' fly over the international dateline

I have lost a LOT of days in the last 30 yrs commuting to Asia

My Boss LOVED my trips home... Leave Asia at 8 AM, Fly 20 hrs, arrive at 8AM same day, enough time remaining to put in a full day's work!! (a 'reverse' Red Eye! / time travel?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement