Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 12:01 PM

588 posts, read 463,187 times

Advertisements

I had to step into my brick and mortar bank the other day during the sub zero weather to change my address and order more checks.

The young lady clerk, who knows me, and who is about 27 and I started a conversation about apartments and the lack of insulation that is driving my utility bills sky high. I rent and she made comment that her parents were in an apartment for awhile before they purchased their new home and they complained of the same thing. Sky high utilities at the apartment.

Then she made the comment....

Yes, my parents moved into one of those places where they bought a house....you know, the ones where the old people go.

I nearly dropped my drawers.

BBBBBRRRRRRAAAAAA HAAAAAAHAAAAAA!

I am still laughing about it.

Oh, out of the mouth of babes!

I am 62 and I am sure that her parents are about my age...or maybe not. Who knows!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 01:39 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
I dont know, lots of folks don't get the chance to be "old people".

Tell that young gal to keep on working, I need my SS to be secure.

Old 12-31-2017, 04:27 PM

588 posts, read 463,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I dont know, lots of folks don't get the chance to be "old people".

Tell that young gal to keep on working, I need my SS to be secure.
You got it mschrief!

Where the old people go. Gotta love it. I hope she gets there. Will she remember that particular comment.

Naw...she is still an immortal.

Old 12-31-2017, 04:34 PM

7 posts, read 6,619 times
Do you notice,
the closer we get to the age
of what we used to call " old people "
the less we call them.... " old people "

Old 12-31-2017, 05:29 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
We live in a 55+ retirement community, we are all old! I have been retired for 20 years, we think of people around 60 as being young.

Old 12-31-2017, 05:58 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
I had to step into my brick and mortar bank the other day during the sub zero weather to change my address and order more checks.

No you didn't. It is very easy to change your address and to order checks online.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:06 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
Then she made the comment....

Yes, my parents moved into one of those places where they bought a house....you know, the ones where the old people go.

I nearly dropped my drawers.

BBBBBRRRRRRAAAAAA HAAAAAAHAAAAAA!
Maybe you should be flattered, it sounds like she doesn't think of you as one of 'the old people'!

Old 12-31-2017, 06:40 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
It's kids like that who have allowed my senior discounts since my hair started graying in my 40s.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:30 PM

5,583 posts, read 6,510,564 times
Am I the only one who doesn't find this funny or entertaining or cute? I was born to an older mother, whose friends and sisters were older as well, my 2 sisters as well as my cousins were all older, so I was mature for my age when I was young and always was "older" in my thoughts and attitudes. I never liked males my own age as they were so immature. I was "older" even as a teenager.

At 27 I was with my husband for a decade, had a 5 year old, a house, a job, all the trappings of adulthood. I find her comment immature and thoughtless. But given her age/generation, I am not surprised.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:30 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
They say the most awful things.

I remember getting an xray and the young thing said, "Oh, your hands look just like my mother's."

Gee, thanks. I'm sure she didn't mean that my nails were manicured because they weren't. She meant a few of my fingers were bent from arthritis.

Anyone got a good come back?

(I almost want to say, "Yep, they got that way from slapping stupid faces like yours!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement